New question type: file upload with optional essay

New question type: file upload with optional essay

von Adriane Boyd -
Anzahl Antworten: 3

I have been working on a new question type that allows students to submit a single file and optionally an essay in response to a question. I think that this question type addresses MDL-8075 and the quiz question portion of MDL-8229, which both request the ability for students to attach files in questions.

The teacher can specify an file upload size limit and whether the essay field is displayed. The student can upload a single file and enter an essay. The student can't delete an uploaded file directly, but uploading another file replaces the previously uploaded file.

The attached question type works with recent versions of 1.9. Backups aren't working at this point, but will be updated when 1.9 is released.

Please let me know if you have any problems/requests for this question type. I'll post a follow-up in a second with a patch for 1.8.

Edited to add: screenshots of this question type.

Mittelwert:  -
Als Antwort auf Adriane Boyd

Re: New question type: file upload with optional essay

von Adriane Boyd -

The file response question type can also work with 1.8 with some modifications. I have attached a zip file that contains a patch for 1.8.2+ and a README explaining how to patch. I have verified that the patch will work with clean versions of 1.8.2 and 1.8.2+. It may also work with older versions of 1.8, but I haven't tried it out.

I have checked that the question type works properly in 1.8.2 and 1.8.2+, but I have not tested it particularly thoroughly, so let me know if you run into any problems. (Again, backups are not going to work at this point.)

von Atanas Radenski -
Adriane Boyd > I have been working on a new question type that allows students to submit a single file and optionally an essay in response to a question.

Thank you, I like the file response question very much.

Adriane Boyd > Backups aren't working at this point, but will be updated when 1.9 is released.

Is there any news on backups? I hope that backups will be implemented because without backups the file response questions is not very practice.

Adriane Boyd > Please let me know if you have any problems/requests for this question type.

Yes, I am interested in adding a self-evaluation option to the file response question. For this type of question, the student solves a problem and submits the solution as a file and/or an essay. The student then specifies to what degree he/she solved the problem by choosing a value from a list: 100%, 90%. 80%, etc. The percentage selected by the student determines the self-grade which can later be overridden by the instructor. I think this question can be called "honor submission question".

I would love to use honor submission questions (i.e., file submission questions enhanced with a self evaluation from percentage list). Does anybody have comments on how difficult is it to implement them, with backup?

von James Kennedy -
Hi, I'm having trouble getting this plugin to work. I couldn't find where to unzip it in any documentation so I unzipped it into \questions\type. It appears in my question types dropdown for add new question. However, when I try to add a question of this type to a quiz, I get the error "Could not insert quiz fileresponse options!".
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I am using WinXP, Apache, PHP all latest versions, and Moodle 1.9.2.
Thank you,
James.