CVS Error - What's the Cause/Solution?

CVS Error - What's the Cause/Solution?

by Larry Elchuck -
Number of replies: 3
I find that when a modded (by me) file has a couple of changes from the CVS repository, running the CVS script results in the file become a "C" file.

For example, today I encountered this:

RCS file: /cvsroot/moodle/moodle/mod/forum/search.php,v
retrieving revision 1.72.2.5
retrieving revision 1.72.2.6
Merging differences between 1.72.2.5 and 1.72.2.6 into search.php
rcsmerge: warning: conflicts during merge
cvs update: conflicts found in mod/forum/search.php
C mod/forum/search.php

What might be the cause of this?

Is there a fix (other than downloading the file manually and comparing the latest version to the one that is messed up)?

tnx
larry
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Larry Elchuck

Re: CVS Error - What's the Cause/Solution?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Larry,

If you look through the file, you should find the bit that has caused CVS to have problems. It is marked with a line of ========== around the old and new bits. You just have to work out what it should be (just!).

If you do a Google search for "cvs conflicts" there's lots of advice and even some tools for helping you out.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Larry Elchuck -
Thanks Howard

I noticed that it only affects one or 2 places at the top of the page ... just curious as to why it happens.

I'll look into your recommendations when I get back from a little trip ... at the end of the week.

larry

In reply to Larry Elchuck

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
CVS does its best, but sometimes it just can't figure out what the changes are, so it gives you both versions to sort it out manually. This usually is a problem in moodle when you do a merge and the same bit of code has been (differently) modified in both the stable branch and head.

It's why it's pretty important to watch the messages go by when you do merge files using CVS.