PHP Byte Code Compiler in Moodle 1.2+

Re: PHP Byte Code Compiler in Moodle 1.2+

by John Dell -
Number of replies: 0
Ahh, sorry about posting in the wrong forum! Thanks Martin. The reasons I'm inquiring about this is I think the PHP accelerator story is very interesting.

I too had been a content user of IonCube PHPA, but when it had been nearly a year since their last release, I got interested in Turck and the active development (and support for PHP5 early releases). I wanted to use the latest releases of PHP which Turck did thorough testing on. Unfortunately, the author of Turck (Dimitri Stogov) was recently hired by Zend and left the project in a lurch (as he was the sole contributor). Several adventurous souls are trying to pick up development of Turck on SourceForge, but it remains to be seen if they can manage such complex code.

More interesting is the fact that the author of PHPA (Nick Linridge) is now on the developer list for Turck MM Cache on Sourceforge although it doesn't appear that he is doing any coding on Turck. In some of the forums, it has been suggested that PHPA may be abandoned in favor of Turck. It is also possible that he may simply use Turck and release it under the PHPA banner since Turck has support of PHP5.

So, anyway, what all this has left me is with the conclusion that at this point in time, APC is the only free accelerator that is _currently maintained and developed_ which is why I running APC now.

Does anyone else have any insight as to the future of PHPA? Also, is anyone running this successfully with PHP 4.3.6?

Thanks and sorry for the long post!
John