Quiz being incorrectly scored in second attempt, a bug?

Quiz being incorrectly scored in second attempt, a bug?

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Plugin developers
Hello,

I have created a 41 item quiz that students can do twice. However, it appears that items that students got right on the first attempt are not being included in the score of the second attempt, and so their final score goes down. I've never experienced this before, but this is the first time that I have used 'average grade' as the Grading Method.

The details:

Moodle 1.8.2 (downloaded from CVS bout 2 weeks ago)
Quiz settings:
Questions per page: 6
Attempts allowed: 2
Each attempt builds on the last: Yes
Adaptive mode: No
Grading method: Average grade

What happens:
After the first attempt, students' efforts are scored as expected. In the feedback screen they also got to see which items were correct, as intended. However, after the second attempt, questions that they had answered in the first attempt appear to have been ignored (see jpg below):
  • there is no indication whether or not the answers are correct or incorrect,
  • and the total score for the second attempt only includes those questions they answered in the second attempt that they did not answer in the first attempt.
  • Changing the Quiz settings, does not solve this problem.
quiz bug
This screen shot is from a student's point of view. The first question was answered correctly in the first attempt, but after having the second attempt scored, it appears to have been ignored. You can see that there is no green feedback for the question, and no indication about whether or not the question is correct. The second question with the green feedback was not answered in the first attempt, but was answered correctly in the second attempt.

In the teacher's view of the second attempt, the feedback under each question appears as expected, but the reported total score is only the score for the questions answered in the second attempt that were not answered in the first.

To me, this looks like a bug perhaps relating to 'average scoring', but before reporting it as such, does any one have any suggestions. Perhaps I am making a simple error.

Thank you.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

Re: Quiz being incorrectly scored in second attempt, a bug?

Having investigated this a little more, it appears this 'bug' is caused by setting the number 'Questions per page' to anything less than 'unlimited', and setting 'Each attempt builds on the last' to 'Yes'.

Here's an example of what happens:
  • There are 10 questions in a quiz.
  • 'Each attempt builds on the last' is set to 'Yes'
  • The number 'Questions per page' is limited to 2.
  • In the first attempt a student answers the first 6 questions on the first 3 pages correctly, but does not answer there last 4 questions, and so gets 6 out of 10.
  • In the second attempt, her first attempt choices are displayed, so there is no need for her to answer these questions again.
  • The student goes to the last 2 pages that she did not answer - the 4 remaining questions.
  • She chooses the 4 correct answers.
  • She SHOULD then get 10 out of 10 (6 for her first attempt + 4 for her second attempt).
  • However, as things stand at the moment, she only gets 4 out of 10.

I have experienced this bug both on my own moodle system, and have reproduced the problem in the http://demo.moodle.org/ site.

This bug can be reproduced regardless of the scoring method or other settings. The common denominator appears to be if the 'Questions per page' limit is set to anything less than 'unlimited', and 'Each attempt builds on the last' is set to 'Yes'.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for the extra information. That is really helpful. I suspect, from your observations, that at the start of the second attempt, it is only initialising the questions on the first page properly. Anyway, this bug is on my list to fix this week, and you have just given me some very useful clues.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Tim,

Thank you for your reply. I look forward to the fix, and am sorry that I'm unable to help with the recoding. However, as soon as you announce a solution I'll test it.

For the record, and you're probably aware of this already, I have posted this issue to Moodle Tracker: MDL-10581.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Hello Tim and other Quiz activity users,

Although this bug was reported to have been fixed (MDL-10581), unfortunately it seems seems to have reared its ugly face again.

The problem is:
  • A quiz is made:
  • "Each attempt builds on the last" is set to 'Yes'
  • "Grading method" is set to 'Highest grade"
  • The 8 questions in the quiz each have their own page.
  • When students do the quiz the first time their attempt is graded as expected.
  • However, on subsequent events their grade is only for questions successfully done in that attempt. Their running total is not recorded.
    • This does not happen if all the questions are set to load on one page; grades for subsequent attempts are the running total (cumulative total).

What should be happening:
  • Attempt 1: a student gets 4 out of 8 correct
  • Attempt 2: a student answers 2 more questions correctly, so they should get a total of 6 out of 8.

What is happening:
  • Attempt 1: a student gets 4 out of 8 correct
  • Attempt 2: a student answers 2 more questions correctly, but instead of their running total he only gets 2 points.
This bug was found on my moodle 1.8.2 system downloaded from CVS in early October, and experienced today on http://demo.moodle.org/ (moodle 1.8.3)

Has any one else experienced this bug recently?

by Manuel de la Torre -
Peter,

Just for your information I am also experimenting this bug (Moodle 1.8.3+). It look that Moodle is only grading the pages where students change something from their second attempt and forgetting all the pagesa answered in their first attempt that were not modified, even if they have right answers.

I reopened this issue, please vote:

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-12196

Manuel

by Meron Hrycusko -
I'm experiencing the exact same problem, and unfortunately adding the grades together doesn't work. Given the time frame to get these marks out, we'll probably have to go through and regrade manualy.