MyMoodle Random Glossary Entry only for non-course glossary?

MyMoodle Random Glossary Entry only for non-course glossary?

by Diana Brewster -
Number of replies: 2
Is the MyMoodle Sticky Block "Random Glossary Entry" only usable with a top-level, i.e., non-course-based, glossary?

We had a glossary at the top level and moved it inside a course, using the download/upload XML file feature.

Now when I try to configure MyMoodle "Random Glossary Entry", the "Take Entries from this Glossary" select has only the default "choose..." option, and no others.

Glossary has to be outside a course to be used for MyMoodle sticky block?

thanks a ton, I did not find the answer to this question in the Moodle Docs for configuring the Random Glossary Entry feature.

---Diana
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diana Brewster

Re: MyMoodle Random Glossary Entry only for non-course glossary?

by Jan Dierckx -

You are right. When I started writing the random glossary entry block, MyMoodle functionality did not yet exist. Because it was my first try at writing a block, I decided to make things easier by limiting the teacher's choice to glossaries inside the same course the block was used in. This of course limits the usefulness of the block as a sticky block / especially as a sticky block on a MyMoodle page outside of any course.

Two possible solutions:

• I could give you an ugly hack which allows every teacher to choose every glossary in every course, BUT then the links at the bottom of the blocks will no longer work (because they point to a specific course). Tell me if that's ok.

• I am working at writing a similar block which displays random entries from a database activity. That one allows teachers to reuse database activities from all courses. There is however still a problem with images: because they are stored inside the files area of a specific course, only students from that particular course have access to them. I really don't know how to solve that issue.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: MyMoodle Random Glossary Entry only for non-course glossary?

by Rishav Sinha -
Well, just encountered similar problem, read the forum. I was wanting to use this block as marketing tool. If there are courses and words from all the glossaries put together are shown in a common page preferably on the home page, it only tells more about the moodle site.
I have three courses and i want to pull random words from just 2 on the home page.
Any ideas?