Theming Challenges

Theming Challenges

by Eric Bollens -
Number of replies: 2
Moodle presents a lot of flexibility concerning themes. However, through 1.8.2 at least, it has a couple issues that making theming difficult, at least for me.
  • Use of BR Tag - While great for a line break without the margin/padding settings of the P tag, it seems to get used in Moodle a lot as a spacer. If indeed we wish to use a tag for spacing, wouldn't something like <DIV class="spacer" id="spacer-#"> work better because we could effect individual instances of the spacer through the id (something already done with other elements) or effect all .spacer elements on a page through > .spacer? Or couldn't we just use the margin/padding settings instead for the same effect? Sometimes I find I have to target a specific BR and display:none it.
  • Use of TABLES - From 1.7 to 1.8, I noticed the disappearance of a bunch of tables; however, the conversion seems only part way. The main layout still has three columns. The course formats still have tables. Many modules like the forum still have tables. If they used a DIV/LI style layout, manipulating positions through CSS would be far easier.
Changing the hardcoding isn't an option for the development environment I am working in, so wondering what sort of workarounds other themers use?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Bollens

Re: Theming Challenges

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is gradually being improved. For example, I recently took a lot of
s out of the quiz attempt and review pages. But it is also something that most people don't have a lot of time to work on. Bug fixes and new features tend to take priority.

If you want to help, you can identify specific problem pieces of HTML, and ideally, suggest what HTML should be used instead. If possible, file these in the tracker, and attach the fix as a patch. Urs Hunkler is probably the core developer who does most to improve themability, and I would not be suprised if he posts to this thread in due course.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Theming Challenges

by Eric Bollens -
I'm keeping a list of little issues I've found and I'll post them into JIRA under a low priority.