A Dual Purpose Solution

A Dual Purpose Solution

by Robert Lefebvre -
Number of replies: 6

There has been much interest and discussion about Content Managment Systems (the likes of Xoop, PostNuke, etc) and how to integrate them with Moodle. And there has also been much interest and discussion about the cookie-trail nav bar. May I propose an "Upper Nav Bar" as an improvement that may help both issues. Here are two screen shots, one showing my upper nav bar as normaly seen and one shot with the mouse over opening the menu.

AND ALSO

This upper nav bar contains links to only "non moodle" pages. This simple nav bar, though not a full fledged CMS, does provide some of the functionality of one. I think many of those wanting a CMS might find a nav bar like this will meet their needs. I did mine with javascript but I think a cascading style sheet would work better for Moodle. Couldn't a simple form be used to create cascading style sheet links and nav bar? Even sub nav and sub sub nav?

It's connection to the cookie crumb might be distantly related, but perhaps the added level of navigation might be used to give some clarity to the purpose and operation of the cookie crumbs.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Lefebvre

Re: A Dual Purpose Solution

by W Page -
Hi Robert,

Take another look at your post.  The ScreenShots are missing.  All I can see are the words  "scr1" and "scrn2".  I am running browser FireFox .8.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Robert Lefebvre -
I see them fine on my browsers (Firefox 8, Netscape 7.1 and IE)?  Mission control, we have a problem...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Robert, you've linked to pictures on your own computer:
file:///C:/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/formoodlerply.jpg

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Robert Lefebvre -

Oops! Let me try that again blush

I'll repeat and bring the text down with it too for easier reading (Sorry about that big grin):

There has been much interest and discussion about Content Managment Systems (the likes of Xoop, PostNuke, etc) and how to integrate them with Moodle. And there has also been much interest and discussion about the cookie-trail nav bar. May I propose an "Upper Nav Bar" as an improvement that may help both issues. Here are two screen shots, one showing my upper nav bar as normaly seen and one shot with the mouse over opening the menu.

and

This upper nav bar contains links to only "non moodle" pages. This simple nav bar, though not a full fledged CMS, does provide some of the functionality of one. I think many of those wanting a CMS might find a nav bar like this will meet their needs. I did mine with javascript but I think a cascading style sheet would work better for Moodle. Couldn't a simple form be used to create cascading style sheet links and nav bar? Even sub nav and sub sub nav?

It's connection to the cookie crumb might be distantly related, but perhaps the added level of navigation might be used to give some clarity to the purpose and operation of the cookie crumbs

by Ger Tielemans -

Interesting point you bring in:

Until now a course screen of Moodle is only oriented on THAT Moodle course. 
If there are links to other sites, they are (mostly) nicely stored in popup screens, there where it has a logical connection.

Your bar is a kind of portal service, so I call it the portal bar: a quick acess to organised information that can be useful for the user in a more general way.

Would be nice if the student user could hang-in his own handy links, together with yours..

Or is it to much info on course level? Should it only popup on the frontpage of Moodle? 

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Robert Lefebvre -

"Portal Bar" sounds excellent.

I placed it in the theme's header.html page so it ends up appearing on all the pages. I tend to like that, but some might only want the bar to show on the home page.

At the actual site at http://advertisite.us/missions_training/, the Portal Bar actually connects to four different websites. The first link on the left "MissionaryNet Main" could be likened to a "Home" button because my main website and my moosle site on on different servers (a long storysleepy). Another button links to Moodle and three connect to other php scripts I use on the site (classifieds, contact, and newsletter). An option for something like student's links would be adding yet another script like phplinks.

It isn't a true integration as each of the different scripts requires its own passwords, but most of them are only for support issues antway and don't get used that often.