Using a Lesson to simulate a Book

Using a Lesson to simulate a Book

by John Isner -
Number of replies: 5
I have used the Book module in the past, but because of upgrading issues, I decided to try Lesson as a substitute. There are obviously some things you can do with Book that you can't do with Lesson (e.g., import pages), but unless you really need these things, maybe you should consider using Lesson, since it is a core module -- at least it was the last time I checked smile.

Here are the Lesson settings I use:
  • Slideshow mode = Yes
  • Display left menu = Yes
  • Make every page a Branch table with
    • Description 1 = "Previous" and Jump 1 = Previous page
    • Description 2 = "Next" and Jump 2 = Next page.
This will display an index on the left (allowing direct access to any page) and two buttons at the bottom of the page (allowing the reader to move forward or back by one page).

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to John Isner

Re: Using a Lesson to simulate a Book

by Barbara Jean Walsh -
Good suggestion!

Thanks.

BJ
In reply to Barbara Jean Walsh

by Kenji Lamb -
One of the main advantages of the Book module is that it allows students (who want to) to print out either chapters or the entire book at one go. I'm not sure if the Lesson module can replicate this feature.

Although I'm certainly in favour of saving the forests, I still struggle to read through extended text online... and I suspect that a lot of students will print out material page by page if the Book print feature is unavailable.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kenji Lamb

by David Hernández -
Hello Kenji,

If you configure Moodle in order to display blocks in the module pages, you'll
see that you can add a web link to your Lesson:

Site administration -> Appearence -> Themes -> Theme settings ->
In the right side of the screen, activate the option "Show blocks on
module pages".

(this path is for Moodle 1.9-3+, in other versions it may vary)

With this feature on, you can add an HTML block, with a link to a PDF file
with all the content of your "Lesson Book" (if this term is allowed tongueout ).

If you insert a small icon of a printer and you add the web link to it, you'll
almost have the same effect that in the Book module.

Well, just an idea ... smile
In reply to John Isner

by Ghassan Geara -
> some things you can do with Book that you can't do with Lesson (e.g., import pages)

Hi John, the "import" in the Book doesn't work on our 1.6.5 instance (but it worked on 1.8.3). Any idea?

We need the Book to work on 1.6.5 because we can't move to 1.8 before the end of the semester (late Jan.08).

Details of the problem are in http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=84299

Thanks.
G

In reply to Ghassan Geara

by John Isner -
Hi Ghassan,
I would start by comparing the code in the two versions of Book (1.8, 1.6) and seeing if there's a simple bug fix in the import code (probably import.php), and if it explains the kind of failure you're seeing. If so, you could patch your 1.6 version of Book. Diff file is attached.