Grading scripts

Grading scripts

by John Bangali -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

I am new to Moodle. Great system and philosophy and nice people!
Moving from traditional ways of working to Moodle (1.8+). I wonder if there is some way of collecting the grades of the students, averaging etc and generating reports. I have been looking at commercial packages and by accident I came across GradeBook. Is this a suitable option for building such a system and get rid of customized Excel sheets? Some of the scores our students get are from outside Moodle so we want the ability to integrate all the results Moodle.

Thanks

John
In reply to John Bangali

Re: Grading scripts

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This past year, I used Moodle as my primary gradebook. When grades were due, I would export from Moodle into the grading program we use (eClass Grades). For things like participation and other scores from outside of Moodle, I created an offline assignment and would input the grade in Moodle. The advantage for me and my students was that my students could check their grade at any time which meant that they could send me a Moodle message about anything they thought may have been incorrect. I felt like I had much fewer problems. In addition, I felt less stressed during official grade checks as I could tell the student not to worry if a particular assignment was graded on the progress report - they can go online and show their parents that the work had been completed and what the current grade was. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Martin Cothran -

Anthony,

Do you have a web address for eClass Grades?  I'd like to check it out.  Thanks.

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Cristina Berisso -

Hello everyone,

I am using Moodle version 1.6 and would like to include a couple of items in the gradebook which are not connected to quizzes or normal online activities, like for example "class participation", "attendance" and things like that which are not necessarily associated with grades (the student can get either a word or phrase like "excellent", "needs to participate more", or a number which tells how many classes they have attended, etc.) What could I use in order to include such items in the gradebook? I tried what Anthony suggested in these thread: use an offline assignment (for which I set a "no grade" since it will be a variable input of either words or numbers), but it is not showing as an item when I go to the gradebook's "set categories" tab. Could anyone please help me with this? Any suggestion will be enormously appreciated.

Cristina

In reply to Cristina Berisso

by Ghassan Geara -
Hi Cristina,

I guess an assignment set with "No grade" will never appear in the gradebook.

In order to make the assignment appear in your gradebook, you MUST specify either a numerical grade or a descriptive scale (you can create your own scale system). You can't put phrase or words on the fly, they have to put either part of a scale system or you have to put them in the "comments" field, not the "grade" field of the offline assignment.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
G