Humour Level Indicator in Version 2.0

Humour Level Indicator in Version 2.0

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In the current Tek vs. Mdle topic, I noticed the humour level dropping dangerouly low, often into the red zone. Even our renown humourists and playful artists were getting a bit snappy. surprise

Therefore, I propose that in Moodle Version 2.0 or if possible 1.3, that the Humour Level Indicator (currently hidden) be moved to upper right corner of each site and course. The moving level bar configuration can be shown in the Settings page so teachers can set appropriate levels of fun for their site. For example, I usually set the green range to about 1.4~1.8 humourous comments per day. Needless to say, I am a bit of a dour person. Those of you will higher levels of intolerance to seriousity can set your requirements to over 2 or even 3 per day. big grin

If you aren't familiar with this feature yet, it works quite simply. After turning on the humour rating checkbox in the Forums tool (not available as yet in Journels), the HLI is updated by smile.php which simply adds a integer to the humour_count table. Then according to the number of rated humourous comments per day, the bar in the HLI ranges from red (overseriousness), yellow (irritation), to green (chuckles). Bryan once proposed we add a bright purple (hilarity) level but Martin squashed that, probably cause he was trying to get through an irksome beta testing period. dead

In Moodle 2.1, we will further develop this feature--perhaps adding a Humour Quality Indicator (HQI). Thus Martin's puns, for example, could be given a minus value no matter how "funny" he considers them. However, I would vote against the proposal for a individualized humour indicator (IHI) to colorize the face icons according to funniness, otherwise Ger would always look embarrassingly red. angry
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Humour Level Indicator in Version 2.0

by Bryan Williams -
Choice stuff, I second that emotion on the HLI! big grin
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Could you put a green or purple tint onto your face photo, please?
I see HLI levels reaching...  ssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccchhh

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Bryan Williams -

My HLI level as I consider not being party to those good beer drinking times you have (envy).

bcw