Servers and Hosting

Servers and Hosting

by Thomas Bray -
Number of replies: 3
Friends:

I'm looking for some current suggestions on a reliable ISP that can host Moodle, OSCommerce, etc, and has the Fantastico web control feature. I've just about lost patience with one of my current ISP's, Netmondo, who are very nice people but who seem after several months unable to provide a server that does not on many ocassions crawl to a stop or vanish (as in "can't find this server.") My usage of Moodle on this server is very lite, but I'm still having problems.

Pair.com is wonderful, but not very user friendly. I really like Fantastico (and I really like Netmondo's prices, too) but I also like a peppy, reliable server.

Any ideas I can use as a backup are appreciated. I'm hoping things at Netmondo will improve, because the people are so nice, but I need other ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Thom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Bray

Re: Servers and Hosting

by D.I. von Briesen -
I'm using programminessentials.net and saw moodle under their fantastico link. It needs to change from 1.1. to 1.2.1 or even 1.3, but they seem to be good in lots of ways, and zippy. I've not done moodle with them and my needs are currently very light- but I too want to address this... Perhaps we could run an install there. The price is right ($6/month for 5 domains).

D.I.
In reply to Thomas Bray

by Paul Norrod -
Thom, I would imagine that if you could wait a while, "Moodle Partners" at moodle.com will start to come online who could provide you with the ultimate in service.

If you can't wait, the information I posted about www.hasweb.com at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5478#25265 still holds. I have been very pleased with their service, although I am running a site for just my courses (5 courses, about 100 students).
In reply to Paul Norrod

by James Sangster -

If you need a smaller installation (20 gig and under) I can get you set up on my shared hosting platform on a Redhat Linux box with Fantastico, MySQL and Moodle in an outstanding data center. I'd need to know what you're looking for to get you an idea of cost though.

If you're looking for your own box you can rent outright you should look into this company. http://www.ev1servers.net/english/index.asp . I basically resell from servers in thier center. I've been with them for years and have nothing but praises to sing about thier quality and support. You'll be on your own with moodle setup and support with these folks though unless you get it elsewhere.