Resubmission Dates...?

Resubmission Dates...?

by Dan Jeffries -
Number of replies: 5
Hi All

Just tweaking some assignment blocks and have a question hopefully someone can answer and make our lives a lot easier!

We create assignments for students to submit work but, inevitably, we know that they will need to resubmit to get the correct grade.

The problem is we work to deadlines, and having the date tell us whether it was submitted on time or not is invaluable.

So when a student resubmits over a piece of work, Moodle tells us the new date that the work was submitted and we lose the original submission date.

To avoid this, we created separate resubmission assignments, but this has proved hard to manage for both staff and students.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks for your help in advance smile

Dan J
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Jeffries

Re: Resubmission Dates...?

by Rick Barnes -
I know what you mean. I sometimes want to set initial deadlines, then if pupils need to resubmit I need to give them a second deadline. If you change the submission date then you loose track of this.

The only thing I have been able to manage is to allow late submissions for all but only accept them from students who met the first deadline. then turn this off when the final deadline passes. I put the date time etc in the assignment notes for the resubmission deadline. Moodle then tracks how late and the exact time that the resubmission was made. Not ideal but easier than a second assignment.

Rick
In reply to Rick Barnes

by Dan Jeffries -
thanks for the reply.

not totally sure I get what you're suggesting towards the end. As we use Moodle for submitting work (we're a 'physical' college rather than an online institution) we have to mark ALL work and we penalise those students who submit work passed the deadline.

maybe updates will improve this. smile
In reply to Dan Jeffries

by Rick Barnes -
Ok, I'll try again.

This will work best using the advanced uploading assignment type.

Step 1 assignment as normal no late submisions.
See picture 1

Mark work as normal and provide feedback telling selected pupils that they need ro resubmit work.
For these pupils return the work to draft status.

Attachment late_submissions.JPG
In reply to Rick Barnes

by Rick Barnes -
Step 2 set assignment to allow late submissions.
see picture 2

You can also reset the assignment to not allow deleting of files but increase the number of allowed files so that you can compare the original with the improved files.

This time when marking you only look at submissions for pupils that you asked to resubmit work.

The assignment will track when the work was submitted. In 1.5.2 late work submission dates were in red and said how late they were, this doesn't seem to happen in 1.8 which I am using now.
Attachment late_submissions2.JPG
In reply to Rick Barnes

by Rick Barnes -
Pupil 1 handed work in on time
Pupil 2 has been reverted to draft for improvements
Pupil 3 handed in work late (by not preventing late submissions)

I hope this helps. Now I have to try to find out why they are not tracking late assignments as well as they used to.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8506
You may also be interested in
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8495

If you are logged on as a pupil in a normal upload assignment the submission time goes red if you have handed the work in late but in the new advanced upload assignment type it does not.

Rick.
Attachment late_submissions3.JPG