Transferring moodle courses onto other machine

Transferring moodle courses onto other machine

by GRK Murthy -
Number of replies: 2

I wanted to shift the coursesI hosted using moodle onto other machine. I did the following

I copied the folders moodle, moodledata, apache, mysql, php and the php files for mysqlstart/stop, apachestart/stop,xampp.bat etc onto new machine in its c drive.

I changed the config.sys file for ip address of new machine. When I started localhost, I am able to get the moodle page. But after logging in as admin or any other user (which I created in old machine), moodle error as i get a message "query failed in load_user_capability'

Further i dont get access to other course pages. Is there any suggestion for how to transfer the moodle with entire course material from one mahcine to the other.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to GRK Murthy

Re: Transferring moodle courses onto other machine

by Abdelkrim Jebbour -
The easiest way is to backup your course with its users and restore it in the other machine.
In reply to Abdelkrim Jebbour

Re: Transferring moodle courses onto other machine

by chris dennison -
Hi I recently had do just this - moving from a windows machine to a Linux machine. Using Course backup/restore would be daunting with 60+ courses.

I upgraded the windows machine to 1.7+ and built the Linux machine up to and including apache2, php5 and mysql. Made sure phpinfo worked.

Then I used mysql backup to dump the windows database. Copied the moodledata and php files from the windows machine to the Linux box. Restored the mysql from the command lie using 'source' command. Tweaked a couple of ini files for machine name/hostname/ip address and data file locations and it all worked perfectly.

Copying raw mysql files can catch you out because your copy may not be consistent within itself.

Hope this helps - Chris