Enhanced User administration (as admin block)

Enhanced User administration (as admin block)

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Number of replies: 156
Hi all,
I developed some enhanced User administration features, as I think that standard user management is not very "handy" for sites where admins have to manually create and enroll users.

I developed it as a site home page Block, visible to Admins only, to avoid cluttering Moodle core code.

Current version is for Moodle 1.6, but I'm working on the 1.8 version.

Main features are:
  • Searching users by many fields
  • Filtering users by Courses where they are Student
  • Collapsable table columns
  • Session persistent filters, paging and collapsed columns (for example, this allows you to get into a user profile form, change user data and get back to the user list page finding it exactly as when you leave it)
  • Mass enrollment/unenrollment, checking users in the list
  • Enhanced User upload from CSV file: selectable field separator; e-mail uniqueness checking; users with no known mail
  • User data download to file, Excel and CSV (there is some problem with Excel export)
Translation and help are provided in English and Italian.
As my English is rather poor any correction is welcome smile

Lorenzo
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lorenzo Nicora

Re: Enhanced User administration (as admin block)

by Daniele Cordella -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
why don't you add it to the tracker as a new feature request?
In reply to Daniele Cordella

by Lorenzo Nicora -
I preferred doing it by myself as I need it quickly and working on the "old" 1.6 Moodle.
Also, I think that some problems like users with no e-mail are specific of users I'm working with, far from university or school students.

I also suppose that the majority of Moodle administrators consider the current user administration interface as fully satisfactory, as it have few or no changes in the last 3 years.

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Lorenzo - Thanks for your work and ideas. There is always room for improvement. I have a couple of issues in the tracker for improvements - one being the ability to search more fields which your code seems to address. By putting it in the tracker you give the developers a chance to evaluate the code and consider it or even parts of it for inclusion in the standard code. I think filing it in the tracker is a fine idea. Peace - Anthony

by philippe petitqueux -

Hi,

Very nice work. I needed this feature for my Moodle.

It works fine at the moment on my 1.6.4.

Grazie mille.

Philippe.

by ian lake -

This is really a very useful change to the way user information is presented, I hope it gets the recognition it deserves.

The only problem I found was the language file. The Italian is obviously Italian, but the English is Italian as well, I have tried to translate directly using the php terms but feel some of the could be phrased better.

I there an English file available.

ian

by Matt Campbell -
Lorenzo,

There have been a number of requests in the forums for the functionality you've done and more, and I would also like to see something like this in Moodle core. I am running 1.8 on all my installs now, so will look forward to seeing your upcoming work.

I second Daniele's request that you put this in the tracker as a feature request, with your code. If you change any core files, include the diffs. You may also want to look at 1.9, since that is nearing beta release.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Lorenzo Nicora -
ok ok... I put a "burst" of feature requests in the tracker.

by Mark Little -
This is so Useful....

Would love to see this in all version of Moodle...

Mark

by Trip Norkus -
Quick question - I have installed the Enhanced User Administration Block and the green message appeared that said it was successfully installed. But, how do I access the control panel? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Trip
In reply to Trip Norkus

by Julian Ridden -
This is a block that is only viewable from the homepage.

Go to yourMoodles homepage, turn editing on then add the User Administration block.

That should be it.
In reply to Julian Ridden

回應: Re: Enhanced User administration (as admin block)

by 景東 王 -

Hi,
Like Trip Norkus's problem,I have installed the Enhanced User Administration Block in moodle 1.8.2+(2007021520), and the green message appeared that said it was successfully installed.
I go to Moodles homepage, turn editing on then add the User Administration block,but the User Administration block is blank,what is wrong?
I have installed the Enhanced User Administration Block in moodle 1.6.3,and it is successful.
Thank you very much.
Regards

Jing-Dong Wang

In reply to 景東 王

Re: 回應: Re: Enhanced User administration (as admin block)

by Anthony Borrow -
Keep in mind that the Enhanced User Administration Block is written for Moodle 1.6 and not for 1.8. I remember reading that the developer is working on a version for 1.8 but it is not yet available. Peace - Anthony
In reply to 景東 王

Re: 回應: Re: Enhanced User administration (as admin block)

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Anthony is right: I'm working on a new version for Moodle 1.8.
The current version of Enhanced User Admin module DOES NOT WORK on Moodle 1.7 or later.

Lorenzo

Integration of additional user profile items

by Ralf Martins -
Hi Lorenzo,

this seems to be a really great module, unfortunately I can't test it, because I'm running moodle 1.8.
As you mentioned you're currently working on a version for moodle 1.8.
Will additional, site individual user profile items (that can be added on the administration backend) be integrated in your new module? (the function I'm talking about is new in moodle since 1.8)

Best wishes,
Ralf

by acu paul -
great work, even if i can't test it myself. i once needed greater search capabilities, and managed to briefly hack the list of fields that are searched and displayed on the search page.

i didn't dare to touch the mass enrollment, but i opened a "new feature request " here, where one could enroll "groups" of users to a course

can't wait for the 1.8 version smile
In reply to acu paul

Enhanced User administration for Moodle 1.8

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi all,
after an almost complete rewrite of the code, here is the User Administration block version for Moodle 1.8

I tested it in development sites, but I was not able to test it in crowded, production sites, so consider it still a beta version.

Some of the new features:
  • User filter by Role in a given Context
  • Filter by Authentication mode (manual, ldap, email...)
  • Filter Confirmed/Unconfirmed users
  • Filter remote MNET users by Peer
  • Role assignment/unassignment selecting users from the list
  • CSV download of users applying filter conditions
  • Role of users in Courses, in CSV file download
  • Some UI enhancements
I completely removed Excel file format download, as it caused random problems.

Sorry, but I added no support for Group management timido

For Moodle 1.6 users, I fixed a couple of bugs and disabled buggy Excel download. No new feature). You can download the new release for 1.6 here.

Lorenzo

Re: Enhanced User administration for Moodle 1.8

by Jesús Martín -
Hi
I'm testing in Moodle 1.9 Beta
All works OK...

Only a question:
In the option "Search in" First name, Surname, Email address, Institution, Department ... is possible to include City and Username?

Thanks. Buen trabajo.

J. Martín
In reply to Jesús Martín

Re: Enhanced User administration for Moodle 1.8

by Anthony Borrow -
Lorenzo - I would certainly second including the username in the search. We use the student id as the username and it would be nice to be able to search by it. Peace - Anthony

Enhanced User administration block - new release

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi all
I spent some time today implementing some (...just some of them, sorry...) of the requested new features in UserAdmin block.

You can download the new version at this link:
http://www.spaziofad.it/file.php/1/useradminblockdev/useradmin18.zip
New version # is: 2008020200

The two features included are:
  • Mass deletion of selected users. Beware! wink
  • Single user deletion now returns to UserAdmin list and not to the standard admin user list
Also:
  • "Download to CSV" button has been moved on the same row of "Add new user", as a link (no more a button)
  • Fixed some minor bugs
Please, report to this forum any bug.

Also, please read the README.txt before posting an "Installation help.." message wink

Lorenzo

by Trip Norkus -
Lorenzo, I got the block working in 1.6 (with a little bit of help from Anthony). We have since upgraded to 1.8. I reinstalled the block using the 1_8_2 Beta code that Anthony sent me on Sunday. The block on the homepage appears fine. However, when I click on Browse users I get the correct user count but nothing is displaying in the main body.

Thanks for everything that you are doing for the Moodle community.

Trip

In reply to Trip Norkus

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Trip,
you say you enter the "Browse list of Users" page and you see "123 on 123 users" (where 123 is exactly the number of users on your site), you see the search/filter form, but the table below is empty?

Some questions to pinpoint the problem:
Do you see the footer ("Add a new User" link...)?
Do you see a "No User matching conditions" message?
Did you try to reset the search pushing the [Clear all search conditions and reload] button, even if you do not enter any search condition?
What database are you using (MySQL/Postgres and what version)?

Lorenzo

by Mustaq Isap -

Hi Lorenzo,

Firstly thanks for a great piece of code.

I'm getting a similiar problem to "Trip" - No table is displayed of the users
In reply to your questions:

I can see the footer ("Add a new User" link).
I can also see the "No User matching conditions" message.
I've also reset the search...

Other details:
Moodle: 1.8.2 | PHP: 5.2.3 | User Administration: 2008031400
Database: SQLServer 2005

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mustaq Isap

In reply to Mustaq Isap

by Lorenzo Nicora -

Hi Mustaq Isap

I did not test this block on SQL Server 2005. I'm not sure it is fully compatible.

I'll add some debug messages for testing SQL queries directly on the db.

Lorenzo

by Mustaq Isap -

Hi Lorenzo,

Just wanted to know if you've had a chance to test this module on SQL...any help would greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mustaq

In reply to Trip Norkus

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi all,
Here is a new release of User Administration block for Moodle 1.8

I've fixed some minor bugs, and a major one causing error on PHP4 (or... I hope it is fixed, as I was not able to test on PHP4. Please report me about it).
I've also added search byUsername.

This version may overwrite previous version without problems.

Lorenzo

by Anthony Borrow -
Lorenzo - Thanks for the quick response on this. I will see if I can get it tested later today. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Anthony Borrow -
Lorenzo - I was able to upgrade the code for the useradmin block and it appears to be working much better with both PHP4 and PHP5. Thanks again for your prompt patches. Peace - Anthony

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi
for anyone using the UserAdmin block, I published a bugfix release for both 1.6 and 1.8 versions.

You can find the download links in the Plugins Database:
(I did not rename useradmin18_rc1.zip file, but it is a new one smile )

I fixed some bugs in user upload, while updating and enrolling users.
Now it also checks string fields length.

Lorenzo

by Michael Carroll -

I am using this in the current version of moodle and it works well. I am having trouble uploading groups with the CSV importing of students. My current file structure is as follows.

username, password, email, firstname, lastname, course1, group1

In the group1 field, I have students listed as either "6", "7", or "8", depending on their gradelevel. They enroll in the course just fine, but not within the corresponding group within the course. This probably has nothing to do with your plugin, but any help would be appreciated.

In reply to Michael Carroll

by Max Wild -
We too would like to know if there is an 'easy' way of creating groups - at the moment we have to choose the members individually manually.
Maxwell Wild
Manchester High School for Girls
In reply to Max Wild

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Maxwell,
If you try to be more precise about what kind of "trouble" you have uploading users in groups, I may be able check if there is a bug in user upload.

Thanks

by Richard Ackland -

This is a brilliant add on Lorenzo... thanks !!

I too am having problems with the grouping of students during upload.

Students go on to the course fine... but do not get put into the groups. The groups exists, they are just not populated by students. I have checked my csv file and all seems to be correct,

In reply to Richard Ackland

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Richard,
I'll do more testing on group management.
I seldom use groups in my sites so some bugs could miss.

Anyway, for group management in user upload I cut&paste the code of the standard Moodle user upload. Did you tested the standard one? Does it work?

Lorenzo

by Richard Ackland -

Standard group upload works fine !!

Thanks for looking at this !!

In reply to Richard Ackland

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi
I fixed the bug in UserAdmin that broke the Group assignment on uploading users.

Here is the fixed version (also available in CVS and in the Plugins Database at the next automatic packing from CVS).

Lorenzo

by Richard Ackland -
Thanks for that... this block is a must for moodle.... it makes user upload so much easier.....

by michael wurzel -
Hi Lorenzo,

this is a real useful add-on. Thank you!

One thing I miss is the possibility to hide the role assigment like this is possible in the build-in role assignment tools. I failed to extend your scripts. Can you help me? Maybe other user will find such an enhancement also most useful.

michael

In reply to michael wurzel

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Michael
the support for hidden role assignment is a good idea.
Unfortunately changes needed are not trivial. I added it to my TODO list

Thanks

Lorenzo
In reply to michael wurzel

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi all,
here is a new update of the Useradmin block.

Changes are:
  • fixed some minor bugs
  • added granularity in capabilities check (see README.txt)
  • added hidden roles assignment.

Please download it here, until the Plugin Database entry will re-approved.

Lorenzo

by Nils Gundelach -
Hi,

is it possible to see all assigned roles of a user? Sometimes such a view is very useful.

Thanks!
In reply to Nils Gundelach

by Lorenzo Nicora -

Showing all roles of each user in all context is potentially a big mess.
Consider that a user could have a role in many context, even a single Block or activity.

Using Download Users to file of the User admin block, you may select to include roles fields, choosing a number larger than zero in Max number of course, group, role and type fields.
This will include roles the users have in Courses (only) up to the selected number of courses, for each user).

Global roles and roles specific to blocks, activities etc... are not included.

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Lorenzo,

First, thanks so much for this very valuable contribution. I've just uploaded 2300 users to our system and this module is going to be a great help from a maintenance perspective.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to add a "delete" button that would allow for the deletion of multiple users after selecting them? I found this "massDelete" mod and guess I will install it for now but was actually assuming (wrong thing to do smile ) that I could do a mass delete with the "Enhanced User admin block" and realized after clicking on 178 accounts that I couldn't delete them all sad

Just wondering if it would be practical (and relatively easy) to integrate a portion (or maybe all) of the massDelte script into your block? I'm not a programmer so I may be asking for something that entails a ton of work and not even realize it smile

Jason

P.S. I've just now realized (after writing the portion above) that when I do delete a user using the Enhanced User admin block that I get sent back to the 'normal' Moodle user admin page once the user is deleted. Then I have to go back to the Enhanced User admin block because I'm sorting users based on their username. Deleting 178 users would take several hours this way so I guess I will definitely wait until I have access to the server (later today) so I can install the massDelete script.
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Jason,

I intentionally excluded a "mass delete" feature as I had thilling experiences with some "administrators" ...
Delete is not a reversible action and a mass deletion could potentially cause a "mass disaster".
I may include mass deletion with a configuration "switch" to turn it off on some sites smile or, more elegant, a new Capability to control it.
I'll add it to my TODO list (but I'm not able to work on it very soon).
No need to use code from other mods. The main effort will be integrating it in the user interface, not in actual user delete (a single function call).

About going back and forth the "standard" user admin page, this is due to the fact I do not completely rewrite pages like user profile edit, user delete and so on. This pages always redirect to the standard user management page.
Anyway, if you put the UserAdmin block on the upper left corner on admins pages too, you may quickly get back to the User List and the list will show the same page and filters you left.

Lorenzo

by Christopher Rogers -
Hello

I really want to use this plugin as I think it will be very helpful in managing all of my users who are high schoolers. But I cannot get the plugin to install. I have tried 3 times with no luck. I am running the 1.9 beta version of moodle. Is that why I can't get it to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris
In reply to Christopher Rogers

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Chris
I did not tested UserAdmin block on 1.9 by myself, but someone successfully installed it on 1.9 without special actions.

What do you mean you cannot get it insalled?
This plugin actually just register itself, when you enter Site Administration->Notifications for the first time.
After this you will be able to add it as a block in the home page and administration pages only.

Lorenzo

by Christopher Rogers -
Lorenzo

Thanks for the reply. I don't get a notification that the plugin has installed when I go to the notifications page like other plugins I have installed. When I go to add block UserAdmin does not appear in the list of available blocks to add.

Chris
In reply to Christopher Rogers

by Lorenzo Nicora -
If you did not get the notification, the code has been probably unzipped in the wrong place.
If you downloaded it recently from the Plugin Database, the zip of the block contains these directories:
useradmin/blocks/...
useradmin/lang/...
Copy blocks and lang directories into moodle dir (not the trailing "useradmin").

Lorenzo

A *very* little patch in downloaduser.php

by Rafael Pérez -
Hi Lorenzo, hi all!!
I have installed useradmin and it work (mostly) fine for me: thanks for your effort!
However, when I have tried to download some users I have found my csv file empty!
Searching in the code, I have added in file downloaduser.php, in line 178 :
$value=$userArray[$column];
and now the downloaded file has the correct data.

Hope this help!

Rafael
In reply to Rafael Pérez

Re: A *very* little patch in downloaduser.php

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Rafael,
thank you for your contribution. I'll update the block code with your patch

Lorenzo
In reply to Rafael Pérez

by Andreas Beusker -
I'am a little confused because I read line 178 as
// Password is always empty

I do know nearly nothing about PHP, I can only understand PHP when I see how someone solves a problem smile So in this case I do not know what to do.

Could you explain this fix a little more?

Thank you very much - andreas

In reply to Andreas Beusker

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Andreas
you can insert the following line, as a new line,
$value = $userArray[$column];
above the comment line 178
// Password is always empty

Alternatively (suggested), wait about 24h and the patch I posted in CVS will be published.
Then download the block code again from the Plugin database (http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=893)
Reinstall the block, enter Site Administration --> Notification and the block will update to the new 2007111400 version

Lorenzo

1 Issue + 2 ideas...

by Fernando Oliveira -
Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for this handy block, Lorenzo! Wondering if you or anyone else would care to comment on the following:

1. Block installed fine, but when I use the interface, the filter section that contains "Only Users that in Context..." displays the header from my site. Any idea how to get around this?

2. Is there a way to make this block visible to teachers without having to change the role permissions?

3. What do you think about adding a filter to show all users in any active course? 

Best,

Fernando 

by Big Faced Boy -
Hi,

Could someone please explain how to install this? I do not have a clue.
In reply to Big Faced Boy

by Philippe Verdenal -

The useradmin.zip file contains two directories [lang] and [useradmin].

1. Upload [useradmin] in yourmoodledir/blocks/ directory.
  2. Upload [lang] in yourmoodledir/. That will place the corresponding files in the existing lang directory.
  3. Go to yourmoodledir/admin/ to register the block.
  4. You can now add a User Administration Block in your main page and/or in your administration page.
You should read the readme.txt included in the [useradmin] directory.

Cheers.

Problem with 'department' search

by Bruno Malaval -
Hello,

I just install the useradmin block.
All seems work fine except search on "departement" field.

I try search using username, givenname, lastname, mail, institution.
All are OK except "department"

If you have an idea .....

Thanks a lot
In reply to Bruno Malaval

Re: Problem with 'department' search

by Bruno Malaval -
Hello again,

Sorry for the post, too fast before I search !!

I found where was the problem for me, perhaps I don't have the latest version.

In the useradminlib.php file, I modify the function "useradmin_get_users_listing"
on line 738
the "WHERE" condition contains :

/... 'OR u.institution $LIKE '%$search%' OR u.institution $LIKE '%$search%' .../

'u.institution' is used twice
I change it to

/... 'OR u.institution $LIKE '%$search%' OR u.department $LIKE '%$search%' .../
and the search on department works.

Thanks and have a good day.

In reply to Bruno Malaval

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Bruno,
you are right! This is a classic cust&paste mistake smile
I'll post the fix in cvs as soon as possible.

Thank you for the report

Lorenzo

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi all,
I build up a new minor release of UserAdmin with some bugfix.
As I'm not able to access contrib CVS ( :-| ) here is a link to download the fix:

I'll update the link in the plugin database too

Lorenzo

by emanuele della torre -

"bella sekko" wink .... I downloaded the new release of your block. It works better as i see now the "export in csv" link, on the page. But this is the strange situation:

CaptureWiz_z.GIF

i said strange, becouse i can't see on the page users.... BUT if i export them in csv, i open that csv...... the csv is ready and well builded with all the right informations and users !!

Hope this help others and me. smile

(p.s.) I did what you writed me, i went in network->nodes/settings and click on save, but nothing changes.

Thanks again emanuele.

by Fred Frazelle -
Lorenzo! What a beautiful idea! Thanks a million. This was really needed here in Moodle.

i'm currently waiting for my site to come back on line after installing the script. It's taking a while. Hmmmm. i hope it's nothing i did (or didn't do). Do you know if the db stores the date that the student enrolled -- i suppose it does. Does this script allow sorting on this date as well? We need to "disenroll but not delete" students from a course after 30 days but i've been searching the forums and haven't found a way to do this yet. This is why (among other reasons) we're trying to install this wonderful script.

Have a great afternoon over there in splendouros Italia! smile
In reply to Fred Frazelle

by Fred Frazelle -
Ug. i'm having problems getting this thing to work.

i've got this installed as> /public_html/moodle_anisa/blocks/useradmin

and have tried installing the lang directory in a couple of places. First in public_html/moodle_anisa/ which tries to wipe out the current /lang subdirectory and then in public_html/moodle_anisa/lang/ which still does not encourage Useradmin to appear in my list of Blocks.

Any ideas?

Have a great morning! smile

Re: Enhanced User administration (as admin block) - SOLVED

by Fred Frazelle -
Wow, after trying to figure this out most of the day, i finally discovered that

1. i needed to download the correct .zip version for Moodle 1.8 (useradmin18.zip), available from one of the previous posts in this thread.

2. Since i'm uploading through ftp, i needed to make sure that each file went into it's correct subdirectory: useradmin goes under /blocks

and under /lang/en_utf8/ i had to place block_useradmin.php,

and under /lang/en_utf8/help/ i needed to place the subdirectory called block_useradmin.

Then, i needed to go to my site, front page, and login and click on Notifications. There should be a notification there that Useradmin was correctly installed, or something to that effect. After clicking o.k., i could click on Turn editing on and see User Administration block which could then be checked or turned on or whatever.

Now i can see the three options, but when i click on any of the three it gives me an Internal Server Error. Any ideas?

Thanks guys and have a great evening! smile

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Fred,
Moodle stores the last time a Role assignment changed in column timemodified of the mdl_role_assignments table.

I'll try to explain why showing or sorting by assigned Role (or assignment date ) would be messy.
UserAdmin pages always show one row per User.
But a User may have many Roles assigned (and assignment dates too) [technically this is a one-to-many relation].
They should be shown as a table of roles (and dates) under each User row. As a single user may have a lot of Roles, the UserAdmin page would become a monster.

Anyway... to unenroll students after 30 days you should try setting the Enrollment duration in the Course Settings page.
I'm not sure, but I think it does what you need.

Lorenzo

by Fred Frazelle -
Thanks for the rapid reply, Lorenzo!

Uh, you are probably right about using the Course, Settings page in order to set the Enrollment Duration to 30 days. That's a good idea. We'll try it and see what happens.

However i'd still like to be able to use the module, and now that i have finally figuered out how to install it i get...

the three options, but when i click on any of the three it gives me an Internal Server Error. Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks again for the reply and it looks like it's going to be a great module.

Have a great afternoon! smile

by Dirk Koudstaal -
Hi Lorenzo, what a fantastic admin block! I am using it in 1.8.2 and it works fine. One minor problem if I have selected students in one course and download a CSV I get all site user in the CSV file. Is it possible to tweak so I only get the students from that course?
Thanks, Dirk
In reply to Dirk Koudstaal

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Dirk
you can download users CSV file also from the "Browse list of Users" page, where you can filter only users having the "Student" role in a given Course, for example.

Lorenzo

by José Álvarez Huete -
Hi Lorenzo, and thanks for you amazing work in this block.

I have the same problem; although I use the filter, it works on the screen. When I download de cvs, what I get is the whole users of the site. Any idea?

ciao from Malaga.
In reply to José Álvarez Huete

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi José,
are you downloading cvs from the "Download Users to file" from the block or from the "Export these users to CVS file" from inside the Browse List of users view?
The second one should extract only users satisfying searching condition.
Anyway I'll check

Lorenzo
In reply to José Álvarez Huete

by Lorenzo Nicora -
I discovered a bug I introduced in the last release of the UserAdmin block: downloading to CSV from the user list actually did not use search conditions, and exported all users.
Now this bug is fixed.

You can download the latest version from this link
(or from the link in the official plugin database)
This will upgrade the block to version 2008031400.

Thanks to everyone reporting these bugs.

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -
Lorenzo,

This block has become invaluable for me as the number of users continue to increase on our site. We now have 3500+ users and this block saves a ton of time.

Thanks for adding the 'bulk deletion' capability. I will definitely use it with care smile

I was just experimenting with something this evening and started wondering about a new possibility for this block.

With Moodle 1.8.4+ (what I'm using the block on now) you can add additional user profile fields. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to include additional profile fields when the usermin block displays each user? This would allow for something I've been wanting to do with Moodle but have not been successful at yet....

I could create some additional user fields and make them invisible to everyone except admins. These fields would be used to store placement data that is then used to assign students to certain courses as they move through our program. Being able to search based on the placement field (or a test score field) would make this block even more amazing than it already is smile

Jason

P.S. Maybe this is something that I can do myself by poking around in the code and figuring out where to add additional fields....? My PHP is still fairly beginner level but I'm getting a little better smile

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Jason,
including custom user profile fields in UserAdmin block is a FRF (Frequently Requested Feature) smile
Unfortunately this is not a trivial implementation.

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -
Lorenzo,

Thanks. Well I guess I won't try messing with it as my php skills are very very basic. smile

Jason

by Conchi Martín González -
Hi all,

We have included the custom user profile fields in User Admin block.
We have also included on the exported CSV.

How can we submit this features in the User admin mod to the community?

Regards !

Conchi.
In reply to Conchi Martín González

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Conchi

thanks for your contribution

please post the files you modified in this forum, so I'll be able to merge them in the "official" release.

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo,

I've attached the zip file on this post.
If you have any problem or any question with the merge of the code, don't hesitate to contact me.

I hope this helps.

Regards.
In reply to Conchi Martín González

by Bruce Schmoetzer -
Conchi,

I installed your revision under v1.9 (Build: 20080329). It displays wonderfully! Unfortunately, the CSV download breaks on the User Profile fields. Here is an example with 1 user:

firstname,lastname,email,institution,lastaccess,streethome,homecity,schoolname
Student,1,student1@wsii.net,,1208889488<br />
<b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: streethome in <b>/home/.phonograph/wsiisupport/z-irimi.com/testlabnew/blocks/useradmin/downloaduser.php</b> on line <b>203</b><br />
,1003 GSC<br />
<b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: homecity in <b>/home/.phonograph/wsiisupport/z-irimi.com/testlabnew/blocks/useradmin/downloaduser.php</b> on line <b>203</b><br />
,Laurel<br />
<b>Notice</b>: Undefined index: schoolname in <b>/home/.phonograph/wsiisupport/z-irimi.com/testlabnew/blocks/useradmin/downloaduser.php</b> on line <b>203</b><br />
,151-Coolidge

Any thoughts?

THX!

-Bruce

In reply to Bruce Schmoetzer

Hi Bruce,

We've test the "Enhanced User Administration" module on Moodle 1.8.
Up to now we haven't test it on version 1.9. You have do it for us ;)

Now, that you let me know this bug, possibly we will review the code to fix it.
I will keep you informed of the changes.

Thanks and kind regards.

by Tarik Dzekman -

Hi,

I've installed this on the latest 1.9 release and it works beautifully. This is excellent functionality and as a first time moodle user has simplified a lot of things I thought I'd have trouble with.

I have very poor PHP skills but am very interesting in making 2 small changes to the block.

1) I have added a "date of birth" in the User Profile Field and was hoping I could include that in the download/upload of the CSV file.

2) When going to "browse list of users" - to browse/sort by the extra profile fields (address, phone number, newly added DOB, ETC)

Any help, even first steps, on how I could begin to implemen those 2 changes?

Thanks,

Tarik

by Chris Wioskowski -
I have this block installed against a 1.9.1 version of Moodle and it works great.

I do have a feature request that I would like to submit:

When uploading a list of users from a CSV file, could there be an option that the admin could check that would allow the system to email each user the link to the website, their user name, and their password?

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi All,
Here I am with a revised version of Enhanced User Admin block for Moodle 1.9.
I tested it on 1.9.1+

No new feature for now. Just some fixes for Moodle 1.9
I'm sorry but I was not yet able to include Conchi changes for custom user fields . I've a little time to work on it and I just needed to fix it for 1.9 asap smile

Some fixes should remove some incompatibility with other DBMS such as M$ SQL Server (not tested).
I also added some debugging output. If you enable DEVELOPER level debugging you can see the generated SQL query.

by Scott Karren -

This is a great block, very helpful when you have thousands of users. 

One feature that would be nice would be a merge user feature.  I use LDAP authentication for my users and this works great but sometimes the network group is slow in getting this access setup for new users so we create their accounts manually to get them registered in the classes they need.  Once their LDAP account is setup I would like to be able to merge the class and grade records from the old manual user account into the new LDAP user account. 

I have started working out the SQL needed to do this but it is clunky right now.  Anyone else have a need for this type of feature?

Scott Karren

In reply to Scott Karren

by Cynthia Alexander -
Scott -
I just had an instructor write me that one of her students has been submitting assignments, posting to forums, and completed a quiz. When the instructor asked the student to edit her profile to use upper and lower case letters for her name, the student instead created a new account (using a different email address). Then the student went into the course and uploaded another assignment, and made several forum postings before the instructor realized that instead of editing her profile, the student created a new account. The instructor wrote me asking if it was possible to merge the two accounts. Right now, my answer to her will be no. I, for one, would LOVE to see a merge user feature. Please keep us informed.

~Cynthia

by Kenneth Avery -
I just installed the latest version into my 1.9 and everything seems fine. It has the courses and categories, but no matter what I search I don't get any results. I have several courses with students enrolled in them. I am new to Moodle and was wondering if I missed a step somewhere.
In reply to Kenneth Avery

by seet kim boon -
if possible add 2 more columns field for records display,
1st -> duration "how long that the user online on moodle".
2rd -> registration date "date of user register on moodle".

but i think this two columns have to add a new database table on moodle,
hope latest version user administrator is include two columns
In reply to Kenneth Avery

by Dave Dave -

We're running 1.9.2 and using the useradmin19.zip posted on July 25/08 and have the same problem. We're using Postgres 8.1.4.

We're trying to run a query to list all the teachers in a course category, but keep getting zero results.

The query being generated from the attached screenshot looks like this:

SELECT 
	u.*, mh.name AS mnethostname, 
	mh.wwwroot AS mnethostwwwroot 
FROM 
	mdl_user u, 
	mdl_mnet_host mh 
WHERE 
	(u.mnethostid = mh.id OR u.mnethostid IS NULL) AND 
	u.deleted <> '1' AND 
	u.username <> 'changeme' AND 
	u.username <> 'guest' AND  
	EXISTS ( 
		SELECT * 
		FROM 
			mdl_role_assignments ra, 
			mdl_context c  
		WHERE 
			ra.userid = u.id AND 
			ra.contextid = c.id AND 
			c.contextlevel = 40 AND 
			ra.roleid = 3 AND 
			c.instanceid = 59 
		) 
ORDER BY firstname ASC 

It seems like a valid query in Postgres, but the results are zero. I'm wondering how well has this been tested on Postgres ?

Any ideas ?

Attachment Picture_13.png

Re: Allowing a user to just use the admin block

by Roger Mepham -

Great block, thanks for all your hard work!

The enhanced admin block works fine on my 1.9 moodle install, but I want to allow a course manager access to just the enhanced admin block only. I have created a new manager role and assigned permissions and they can see and use the old administration block to enrol users in and out of courses but despite my adding the enhanced admin block they cannot see it.

I guess this might be because only Admin users can see the enhanced admin block?

Is there any way to allow a manager role to use the enhanced admin block without giving them full admin rights to the entire moodle site?

Thanks

Roger Mepham

In reply to Roger Mepham

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Roger,
Enhanced User Admin block is for site administrators and not course teachers.
It allows to modify users that are, by definition, "site-wide" and not "course-wide".

Read the README.txt to know the capabilities this block relies on.
Please not that users must have the required capabilities in SYSTEM (global) context.

Lorenzo

by Scott Tearle -
Hi Lorenzo,

Which version should I use for Moodle 1.7?

Scott

by Scott Tearle -
Which version should I use for 1.7?

by Scott Tearle -
I've taken a stab at modifying the 1.8 version for 1.7. Attached is the file. Please try it out and see if there any bugs.

Installation problem (useradmin1.9.zip + moodle 1.9.3

by EasySoft Solutions -
Hi,

First off, many thanks for all your effort!

I'm trying to install useradmin19.zip with moodle 1.9.3 (on CentOS 5).
Unzipping the zip file, I get a dir called 'blocks' that contains a dir called 'useradmin'.
So I moved the 'useradmin' dir to $moodle_home/blocks/ - creating $moodle_home/blocks/useradmin/*

When I then went to http://site/moodle/admin/index.php as Admin, I didn't get the green message indicating that the plugin has been installed, and I don't get the 'User Admin' block under 'Add blocks'.

Any idea what I may have done wrong?
Many thanks again,
Arif
In reply to EasySoft Solutions

Re: Installation problem (useradmin1.9.zip + moodle 1.9.3

by EasySoft Solutions -
Big oops here - its working now smile
Mix up between two moodle installations. It happens to the best of us - thats my excuse anyway smile

Arif

by Mich P -
This is a great block thanks!

One problem I'm having, is when I import Parents, (who do not have the default role for a course). They get enroled in the course as Students.

The Group, Role and Course in the import file seem to be working fine, so the parents are in their groups correctly but they also get added as "Students'

Not sure if I should also be using "Type"?

How can I stop this, so when I unload students and parents, they stay separate?

thanks
mich

In reply to Mich P

by Mich P -
I guess what I am asking is, is do I have something configure incorrectly, or is this expected behaviour?

Also, when we use the export functionality there are no groups exported, this would be really useful to see as we'd like to generate a file which can be re-uploaded and imported in the User Administration block to add updated parents.
In reply to Mich P

by Lorenzo Nicora -
@Scott Tearle
Thank you for modifying the block for Moodle 1.7
I'm not able to test it.
I totally stepped over 1.7 I never installed in any of my Moodle server smile

@Mich:
To assign a not-standard uploading users in a file you should use role... columns, not type...
Type accepts a fixed 1=Student, 2=Teacher, 3=Non-editor Teacher
Role accepts the short name of a role. It should work with custom roles too.

Group support of this block is a bit limited. They are not exported.

@John Foley:
Something similar could happen if you apply any filter to users, then get around other pages and get back to the UserAdmin page using the browser Back button.

@ces moce:
why installing a block via XMLDB Editor?
Just unzip files and upload in the correct directory (read the readme) and then enter Admin Notifications.
It works fine on 1.9.3

Lorenzo

by John Foley -
Dear Lorenzo,

I understand where you are coming from however my problem occurs all the time.

If I login as Admin, click on "Browse list of users", then select Next or any page number other than the number 1 the "No user matching conditions" message appears.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John

In reply to John Foley

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi John

I was able to reproduce the bug.
I'll try to fix it as soon as I have some time to spend on the code. I'll post the fix.

Lorenzo

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi all

I should have fixed the paging bug John pinpointed

I also added an experimental new feature for all administrators annoyed by a lot of wrong e-mail addresses uploaded by other clumsy admins ;)
This feature check the correctness of all e-mail addresses and the existence of the DNS domain (of course it may not check if an address actually exists).

Lorenzo

by John Foley -
Hi Lorenzo,

This fix worked beautifully. Thanks for all your time on this.

Cheers

John

by Sharon Goodson -
So far so good!!

Lorenzo - In the instructions it says: You may also add the block in Site Administration area.

By this do you mean the Site Administration Block? How would you do this?

Thanks!

by Sharon Goodson -
@John Foley:
Something similar could happen if you apply any filter to users, then get around other pages and get back to the UserAdmin page using the browser Back button.

I noticed (in Moodle 1.9.2) that sometimes certain filter settings and their results wouldn't 'clear' in a current session. Logging out and back in did the trick. Not an ideal solution, but it didn't happen often enough to consider it a pain, if that makes sense. thoughtful

Another topic - Are there any known issues using the block in 1.9.4? We migrated to another server in December and the block became 'incompatible.' I tried to reinstall a few times with no luck. We've since updated to 1.9.4, so maybe I'll try again.

I really miss this block, and created user profile fields especially for use with Enhanced Admin.
In reply to Sharon Goodson

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi All,

I'm here with another update of the UserAdmin block.

I disabled the new experimental feature of e-mail address check as it seems to be unreliable
(if anyone want to test it, it is still available manually calling the URL .../blocks/useradmin/checkmail.php)

I added a couple of new features.

Now the search can be extended to Custom User Fields.
Consider that custom User profile fields support is still limited: they are not shown in the user listing and not exported (I've to work on it).

I also added a button to enable/disable e-mail addresses directly from the listing.

@Sharon Goodson:
I'm using 1.9.4 on my servers. I'm also developing on it.
Are you sure you have the latest version of the block, either from the Plugins database or from this forum?

[added after posting]
With "You may also add the block in Site Administration area" I mean you may add it as a block, after entering any other admin page.
This is a block "context" different from the home page.

You may not add a new entry in the Site Administration Block or I don't know how to do it. If anyone does, please tell me smile

Lorenzo

by Sharon Goodson -
Hi Lorenzo! I posted back a few days ago, but I guess the 'post pixies,' as Mike Worth calls them, wandered off with it big grin.

Anyway, I was a bit excited at the idea of adding this to the admin block - and I see you might be making progress http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=118373 Let us know if you add this to the download package. I'm going to try it, but I'm sure yours would be much cleaner and functional.

I'm wondering if this (very awesome block) could use the settings.php in reports to allow users to select what columns/fields should appear (ideally including custom users fields, too).

For us, we don't need default display of columns like department, institution, MNET peer, authentication, etc., but there are Moodle optional and custom fields we'd like to display. I previously had some Moodle optional fields displaying by changing code (in an earlier ersion of useradmin), but the screen became too busy (even with useradmin default fields set to collaspe).

This is a great block, definintly one of my favorites! Thanks for all your work!

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Sharon,
Configuring the fields to show in the list is one feature many people ask.
Unfortunately this is not easy. Not to allow configuring it, but to handle a full parametric list and query. It will need a complete refactoring of all the code.

Lorenzo

by Sharon Goodson -
Well, maybe if it gets worked into core (which I vote it should) things would fit together easier.

by Luciana Marins -
Hello Lorenzo

I use the moodle version 1.9.3 +, I installed the block useradmin in my basic tests and worked normally. But now that the installed base of production on my page to where it should show the user list appears empty. You or anyone know why this is happening?

Forgive me my English is that I am Brazilian and not know the language.

Thanks to all,
Luciana

by colin opseth -
If you don't want to display fields or have to add custom fields to the db export you can easily add them to the mySQL query in the downloaduser.php file. It's hard-coding at its best but if you don't intend to change your fields anytime soon it'll keep the amount of extra arrays and mySQL queries to a minimum.

by John Foley -
Dear Lorenzo,

This is a great block and much needed. I have version 2008072500 running on 1.9.3 with mysql version 5.0.51.

When I browse a list of users it shows me the first 50 (as per my settings) and also shows the correct total (647) however when I click on next or any page number other than 1 I get no users returned.

The only thing that shows is the "No user matching conditions" message however I have not set any conditions.

If I sort by any of the column headings on the first page it shows users correctly - i.e. if I sort by "last access" I can see users who are beyond the first 50 alphabetically.

I would love to sort this out as I prefer this block to the standard. I'm not a php programmer but if pointed in the right direction I may be able to fix.

Many thanks

John
In reply to John Foley

by ces moce -
Hello,

I'm trying to install useradmin19 in moodle 1.93.

For that I have used XMLDB editor at the bottom of the site administration (is it correct)
Administration/ ► Miscellaneous/ ► XMLDB editor.

So I succeed to creat and load the file (i got green light), but i have no trace of the block even in

► Administration/ ► Modules/ ► Blocks/ ► Manage blocks

or

in the ''Add'' block in the frontpage

I don't know what i did wrong as it is the first block i'm trying to install
In reply to ces moce

by John Foley -
Dear Ces,

I'm relatively new to Moodle but I understand that XMLDB is used to set up the .xml files needed to create database tables. This Block does not add anything to the database other than registering itself.

The way to install the useradmin block is documented in the readme.txt supplied with the .zip file.

These were the instructions I followed:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTALLATION
1) Unzip the content in main Moodle directory.
Please note that if the zipfile you downloaded unzip in a directory named
"useradmin" (or similar) containig a single subdirectory "blocks", you need
to unzip in a separate directory and copy the content of the main dir
(from "blocks", included) to Moodle directory.
2) Log in as Administrator and enter Site Admin->Notice area to complete
installation.
This block actually install nothing in the database except
registering itself.
3) Add the User Administration block to the home page of the site.
I suggest to put it as high as you can, to need no scrolling to
reach it.
Don't worry: it will be visible to Administrators only
4) You may also add the block in Site Administration area.
It will be useful to get back to user list after, for example,
editing a user profile
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In reply to John Foley

by Tim H -
I can't get this to install either. Moodle 1.95

When I extract the zip file (useradmin19.zip) it gives me this folder structure:

useradmin19/blocks/useradmin

I have tried to just copy the useradmin folder to the blocks folder...

I have tried to copy the useradmin folder to the moodle directory /

And I have tried to put them in both places...

Still cannot get an install...under Notifications.

Any help? What am I missing?

Odp: Enhanced User administration (as admin block)

by Adam kowalski -
I have problem with export selected users to CSV, because every time block exports all of them, not selected

where is the bug?

(I have Moodle 1.9.5)
In reply to Adam kowalski

Re: Odp: Enhanced User administration (as admin block)

by Dan Jeffries -
Hey

Yeah, I have this problem too. Only want to export users who have never logged into the site, but it exports everyone.

HELP!!

by Danilo Inácio -
Hi every body,

I did the translation of this block to pt-br, its not 100% complete but is useful.
In reply to Danilo Inácio

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi all

a new release of UserAdmin block for Moodle 1.9 is available at my dowload link.

I fixed some bugs related to user upload from file.
Sorry, but I was not able to add any other feature.

I also added the pt-br translation. Thanks Danilo!

For people unable to install this block: please read the official Moodle documentation about the location of blocks in the Moodle directory tree.

Lorenzo

by Robert Janssen -
I have question. We added a couple of profile fields to the users and we installed teh Enhanced user Administration. Is het possible tot select or see the addes profile fields?

In reply to Robert Janssen

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Robert,

custom user fields are not supported, yet

Lorenzo
In reply to Robert Janssen

Re: Enhanced User administration

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi all

I've updated the UserAdmin block (1.9 version only).

Now there is some support for custom user profile fields and ability to hide unwanted standard user fields from User listing and User download (no support in User upload, yet).

Use the new block configuration page (from Modules->Blocks) to enable custom fields or hide standard fields.

This is the download link.

This is an updated list of the features of this block (sorry for the terrible english smile )

This block is thought for Administrators only and is hidden to users with lower roles.
So it may be put in the Home page and in Administration page, in upper left or right corner for easy access.

BROWSE LIST OF USERS
These features are available in the User listing page:
  • Search for an arbitrary text in firstname, lastname, email, institution, department and username fields, and in selected custom user profile fields
  • Filter by firstname/lastname first letter
  • Filter users having/not having a specified Role in a Site, Course Category or Course context
  • Filter users by authentication method
  • Filter confirmed/unconfirmed users
  • Ordering by any of the shown columns
  • Collapsing/expanding columns
  • Paged view, with selectable page length
  • Filtering, ordering, paging, column collapsing information are all stored in the user's session. When the user get back to the Listing page, he find it exactly in the same state as he leave it.
  • Download to file only users matching the filter conditions (ignoring paging)
  • Global block configuration (in Site Administration->Modules->Blocks) to include any custom user profile field or hide unwanted custom user fields, from User listing and User Download
ACTIONS ON USERS FROM USER LIST
In the User listing page some actions may be taken on users, without entering User's Profile page:
  • Disable/Enable a user's email with one click
  • Delete a user with one click (...and confirm ;) )
  • Confirm an unconfirmed user
Some mass-actions may also be applied to many users, selecting them one by one or by page:
  • Mass assign/unassign Role in a Site/Course Category/Course context
  • Mass delete users (beware!)
DOWNLOAD USERS TO FILE
Users data may be downloaded to a CSV File.
  • Download all users, from the block entry
  • Download only users matching filter conditions, from the User listing page (please first apply search condition with the [Search] button and then click on "Export these users to CSV file")
  • Selectable field separator character (comma, semicolon, pipe or tab)
  • Selectable line terminator (Windows, Unix and Mac style)
  • Selectable file encoding (UTF-8 and ISO-8859-1 only)
  • Optionally includes custom user profiles fields (selected in block configuration, see above)
  • Excludes hidden standard user fields (selected in block configuration, see above)
  • 5,10 or 20 columns may be included to show Roles of the users in as many courses
  • The downloaded file may be used to feed the User upload feature, for mass-updating user data (please note that custom fields are not yet supported in user upload, so the file may not be used to feed the upload if these fields have been included)
USER UPLOAD FROM FILE
May create or update users uploading from a CSV file, with some additional features compared to standard "Upload users".
  • When creating a new user checks for duplicate username and e-mail
  • Checks if e-mail address is valid (just syntactically)
  • Existing users may be updated, using username as "key" to find users
  • Username "renaming" may be enabled
  • Assign roles and groups in Courses context (only) when uploading new users or updating
  • Password may be explicitly specified (no password policy check, yet)
  • Alternatively, password may be randomly generated for each user. In this case automatically send an e-mail with credentials to each newly created user.
  • Fake, unique e-mail address generation for users with no known e-mail. E-mail address is automatically disabled for this users. Off course, automatic password creation may not be used for these users, as no one will know the password and it will not be recoverable by e-mail ;)
Please note that there is no support for custom user profile fields in User upload

Also note when you save changes in a User's Profile page, you get back to the standard Moodle user administration page.
This is not a bug.
The User's Profile page is a standard Moodle page, that redirect to standard pages after saving. There is no way to get back to a custom page.
Anyway, as User Listing page persists its state in session, if you get back to home page and then to User Listing you'll find this page exactly in the same state as you leave it.

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -
Lorenzo,

I've just installed this and given it a try and notice that if I change the settings for the block to include profile fields that I get no results when I then click on the User Admin block...?

Any ideas?

Jason

by Jason Hollowell -
A follow up here,

I tried adjusting the settings for the block some more and now my User Admin block will not display any users smile even though we have over 4000 users in our system. I returned all of the settings to the default but still nothing....! sad

Strangely, I notice that when I navigate to Site Administration/Modules/Blocks/Manage Blocks

that it is reporting "2" for the number of User Admin blocks installed on the sytem but when I click on the "2" it shows only one instance of the block.

At any rate, my User Admin block is now non-functional as it will return no results even though I have no filter conditions set and all of the block settings have been returned to default. sad

Jason

**EDIT** Very Strange!! No matter what settings I changed I couldn't get the block to show any results but when I logged out of my site once and then back in, it now works. Something being stored incorrectly in the session data....?

by Jason Hollowell -
Another comment to my last post. I was able to get the Block working again but if I change more than one of the block settings from the admin interface then I get the problem with no results. If I change settings (choose to include or exclude fields) one at a time, meaning that I change one and then click save and visit the block, then return and change another and click save and visit the block, there are no problems.

I can only replicate this issue by changing more that one profile field setting when I am in the admin settings area for the block.

Jason

by Lorenzo Nicora -
@Brian: thank you for pointing the error. I fixed it. I hope to publish the fixed version ASAP.

@Jason: thank you too.
This problem seems to be a bit more complicated.
I'm trying to reproduce it.

Stay tuned...

Lorenzo

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi again
I released a bugfixed version (the download link is always the same).

I cannot reproduce the problem Jason reported.

Anyway, I added a cleanup of all session saved parameters (of this block only smile ) when entering the block's configuration page.
This should avoid any messed up session setting after changing the field to show.
(I'd prefer resetting them only when the configuration is saved. But do not know how to intercept this event, the Moodle Admin Settings API is not very clear to me at the moment).

Jason, please try if this remove your problem.

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -
Lorenzo,

Thanks. I've downloaded, installed, and experimented with this newest version. It seems that for some reason I'm having troubles when I try to "include" one specific user profile field that we are using. When I set that field to be included via the "User Administration" block settings the block then reveals 0 users. Including and/or hiding all other fields seems to work fine.

Now, the question is, why is it not working for only this one field....? It's a "text input" field with a display size of "15" and maximum length of "15". It is exactly the same as other user profile fields that we use that seem to display fine when selected in the block settings so I can't figure out why it's causing problems?

Jason

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Jason,
just a guess... what is the short name of that custom field?

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -
Lorenzo,

The short name is:

EIEIISLEP

The short name of the other very similar field that doesn't cause any problems is:

EIIIEIVSLEP

Anything wrong there?

Thanks.

Jason

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Jason,

these field names have no problem.

I asked you the name as I know there is a potential bug in the new custom fields support implementation.
If a custom field is short-named as a SQL reserved word (like "select" or "like") the query doesn't work and returns 0 records.
I'm trying to work around it, but it is not easy in a database-portable way (it should not work on MySQL only...)

Anyway, I don't think this is your problem.
I mean... not with these two field names.

If you could rise the debug level to DEVELOPER and enable messages displaying, when you enter the User list page will see the generated SQL statement and any error message. Maybe this could help.
Beware that all users will see debug messages while enabled. So don't do it in a production environment smile

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -
Lorenzo,

Thanks again for your assistance. I've attached the output of the debugging here. The top portion (above the line of asterisks *****) is a view of the User Admin block with no settings changed. Everything appears ok.

The bottom (under the asterisks ******) is a view when I set the block to include the field that I'm having trouble with. I can't see anything here that provides hints but I'm a novice so.... smile Not sure that I'm clear on the use of "mdl_user u"? Definitely have to study some more SQL.

Any ideas?

Jason

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Jason

What I see is the warning "Subquery returns more than 1 row", that should not happen.
It could be only if the database contains 2 or more values of a single custom field for any one user.
This doesn't have any meaning and should not happen. But the database doesn't have any constraint actually, so maybe this is an obscure Moodle bug..

Anyway, try executing this query (in phpMyAdmin or any other SQL client) to confirm my theory:

SELECT userid, fieldid, count(*)
FROM mdl_user_info_data
GROUP BY userid, fieldid
HAVING count(*) > 1

If the custom fields table is correct (does not contain more than one value per custom field per user) this query should return zero results.
Returning any record (maybe on fieldid=4) will explain the problem.

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -
Lorenzo,

Thanks again! smile You were correct. There were two rows in the table that had multiple counts (2 in both cases). One had the value that appears when you click on a users profile and the other was empty. I think what must have happened was that I set up the field and then wanted to see how it would appear in the user profile area so I visited a couple of users' profiles from our site and clicked on edit. I don't remember if I entered a value or not but later after being satisfied with how the custom user profile fields work I entered a lot of data into the fields via an SQL query through PhpMyAdmin. I must have somehow managed to force the creation of multiple fieldid records. I don't think it's a Moodle bug but I suppose it shouldn't be ruled out. More likely a mistake on my part smile

Thanks for helping me to find it.

And, I can confirm that the User Admin block now works for the profile field after I deleted the fieldid record that had no value.

Thanks again.

Jason

by Brian Gray -

I've installed the 1.9 version on my test system. I get the following error message:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in C:\xampp\htdocs\moodle\blocks\useradmin\useradminlib.php on line 948

I'm running Moodle 1.9.7+ (Build: 20100303) on XAMPP with PHP 5.2.8. (I have the Debug option set to All.)

There also appears to be a type on the "Browse list of users" page. The header says (on my test system) "27 on 27 users". That probably should be "27 of 27 users".

I'm looking forward to playing with this block.

bkg

by Edwin T. -
I'm trying to use the Enhanced User Admin block on my site, and seem to be having some trouble with it.

Whenever I try to browse or download the list of users, the entire system would lock-up for a significant period of time (5 mins, or more), and the rest of the moodle site becomes unresponsive. Top shows during this time, mysqld is taking up 100% of the CPU.

This occurs even if I'm accessing the site with lynx via SSH on the server itself.

When we had 400 users, I could still access the page eventually. Now that we have over 580 users, the page doesn't load up at all (I'm guessing it times out?).

I've enabled Developer Debugging Messages, and this is the display that I see:

---
Paging: PAGE 0, PERPAGE 50
  • line 386 of blocks/useradmin/useradminlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 331 of blocks/useradmin/manage_user.php: call to useradmin_get_users_listing()
Paging: FROM 0, LIMIT 50
  • line 387 of blocks/useradmin/useradminlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 331 of blocks/useradmin/manage_user.php: call to useradmin_get_users_listing()
SQL: SELECT u.*, mh.name AS mnethostname, mh.wwwroot AS mnethostwwwroot, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 7 AND userid = u.id) AS CZE, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 8 AND userid = u.id) AS address1, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 9 AND userid = u.id) AS address2, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 10 AND userid = u.id) AS address3, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 12 AND userid = u.id) AS state, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 11 AND userid = u.id) AS zip, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 2 AND userid = u.id) AS phone, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 4 AND userid = u.id) AS dobyear, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 5 AND userid = u.id) AS dobmonth, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 6 AND userid = u.id) AS dobdate, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 3 AND userid = u.id) AS tshirt, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 13 AND userid = u.id) AS gender, (select data from mdl_user_info_data where fieldid = 14 AND userid = u.id) AS forumname FROM mdl_user u, mdl_mnet_host mh WHERE (u.mnethostid = mh.id OR u.mnethostid IS NULL) AND u.deleted <> '1' AND u.username <> 'changeme' AND u.username <> 'guest' ORDER BY firstname ASC
  • line 391 of blocks/useradmin/useradminlib.php: call to debugging()
The query should return 584 record(s)
  • line 399 of blocks/useradmin/useradminlib.php: call to debugging()
The query should return 584 record(s)
  • line 399 of blocks/useradmin/useradminlib.php: call to debugging()
---

Other information about the site:

It's hosted on a Virtuozzo VPS, with WHM/Cpanel.
It has the following limits:
cpuunits: 8000 pcs (hard)
cpulimit: Disabled
slmmemorylimit: 805,306,368 bytes (soft)
slmmemorylimit: 2,685,354,560 bytes (hard)
(ie: 768Mb Guaranteed, 2.5Gb burst)

There aren't any QOS alerts.

---

What I really need is to be able to download the list of users (as a UTF-8 CSV) daily, with all our custom profile fields intact. To do so, I must first 'browse list of users', then 'download as a csv'. This is because custom profile fields aren't downloaded if I access 'download users to file' directly from the block; even when I choose 'yes' for 'include custom profile fields.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In reply to Edwin T.

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Edwin

the query shown is correct.
If it is terribly slow even executing the SQL directly (for example in phpMyAdmin) I think it is a database performance problem.

The number of users is not the issue. This block is in use in much larger sites.

Maybe the problem comes form the number of custom fields combined with the number of users.
The query have a subquery foreach custom field. It may be very "expensive" for the db engine, but there is no other (portable) way to implement it.

Also, AFAIK, MySQL is not very efficient with this kind of queries.
Maybe adding some db index on mdl_user_info_data could help. But I do not know MySQL very well. I use PostgreSQL on my production server.

If this doesn't help, I can only suggest to include fewer custom fields in UserAdmin.

For the direct Download not including custom field, I'll check the code.
This may be a bug.

Lorenzo

by Татьяна М -
Hi Lorenzo Nicora

I'm running Moodle Moodle 1.9.7+ (Build: 20100120) on httpd-2.2.3 with PHP 5.1.6, user Authentication: LDAP server with sso.

I've installed the UserAdmin block (1.9 version only) on my test system.
I get the following error message when I try "Browse list of users":

Authentication plugin 'sso' not found.
Stack trace:
  • line 1664 of lib/deprecatedlib.php: call to debugging()
  • line 2809 of lib/moodlelib.php: call to error()
  • line 596 of blocks/useradmin/useradminlib.php: call to get_auth_plugin()
  • line 43 of blocks/useradmin/manage_user.php: call to useradmin_get_available_auth_plugins()

Is this block support Single Sign On?
What should I do to fix this?

(Sorry for my english)
In reply to Татьяна М

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Татьяна

the block just looks for all installed authentication plugin.

Maybe you have a garbled installation of the "sso" plugin (I do not know which one it is).

Or maybe you have any user with "sso" authentication, but you have no "sso" Authentication plugin installed.
This may happen restoring users from a site with auth plugins not installed in the target site.
In this case you should manually change the "auth" field of these users, in "mdl_user" table, to a authentication plugin installed and active (maybe "manual").

Lorenzo

by Paul P. -
Hi Lorenzo,

I am having the same problem that Edwin had. My site (1.9.8) has 1300+ users and 12 custom profile files. I have an earlier version installed (version 2009030501) that works fine. Upon installing the current version, I get a successful notification, however when I try to "Browse a list of users" my entire system freezes with the exact same symptoms as Edwin.

After several minutes, I am able to log in again, and was able to delete the block and re-install the old block.

I don't think this is a server performance issue - I run other sites with far more the number of users and this is the first time I've had complete system freeze up (I've had white screens before, but never this).

Unfortunately, I cannot help you diagnose the problem, but hopefully now that the bug has been duplicated, perhaps that will give you a direction to start looking. I hope you are able to fix it because this block does exactly what I need. Thanks for all your hard work.

Paul
In reply to Paul P.

by Lorenzo Nicora -
Hi Paul P

What you experienced WAS a server performance issue ;)
I mean, it is not an issue due to your server that is mis-configured.

This is a general problem with MySQL, if you have a lot of users with a lot of custom fields.
To extract them the block used a lot of subqueries and MySQL is terribly inefficient with subqueries.
As I already said, the way custom fields has been implemented has not been thought for querying/extraction.

Anyway, I modified it using LEFT OUTER JOINs and not subqueries.
I hope it will be more efficient with MySQL (I'm not able to test on a crowded server using MySQL).

If any serious MySQL DBA is available, any query optimization suggestion will be welcome (remembering that the query must be compatible with other DBMS too ;) )

Hi All

a new version of the Enhanced UserAdmin block is available at my download link.
This is a bugfix only release.
I rewrote queries using OUTER JOINS for custom fields and fixed a couple of bugs preventing download to file in some circumstances.

Lorenzo

by Matt Brabender -
Is there just no way possible to stop the redirection from to the standard user list page after updating a user profile?

This block is far more useful than the standard user list and I would be happy to change things so it always redirects to this block instead.

by Jonathon Armbruster -
Hi

This block save me so much time, especially in adding students to courses.

However I cannot get it to send out emails when I upload new users via uploading a CSV file.

I am using the standard Moodle cron.php which is being executed every 5 minutes.

Do I need to add anything to the cron.php.

Any help would be much appreciated.

J
In reply to Jonathon Armbruster

by Geof Duncan -

I'm having the same issue, how do you get the email to be sent??

by Ewald Dreesmann -
Hi,

I really like this block. But a few weeks ago I updated to the last version and I forgot to make a backup before. The new version does not work as the old used to. I cannot find any expression in a custom user field (and I only have one). So the old 1.9-Version worked, the last one doesn't.

Is there a way to get "older" versions of this block?

by Paul P. -

Thanks, Lorenzo, your reply is greatly appreciated.  I am going to install the new version of the block and test it out over the weekend.  I'll let you know if there is there is a significant performance improvement.

Thanks for your all your hard work.

In reply to Paul P.

by Lorenzo Nicora -

Hi all

sorry for late answers

@Matt (redirecting to standard user management pages)

The user edit page is the standard Moodle page (I'm not goint to re-implement it!) and its return page is hardwired to the standard user management pages.

The only way to change it is patching standard Moodle pages, but this would disable (or it would be overwritten by) any Moodle update.

@Jonathon (e-mail to new users)

The block send e-mails to new users only when you upload new users by CSV file and choose the option to automatically generate passwords.

@Ewald (older version)

An older version of the block (with old bugs too...) is available here.

@other (installation problems)

This block must be installed as any other custom Moodle block. There is nothing special to do.
If it does not prompt installation notice when you enter Admin's Notifications, you probably put it in the wrong place.
Please refers to Moodle documentation for the standard directory layout.

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -

Lorenzo,

Thanks for your continued support on this extremely useful block. It has made my job as an educational program director so much easier.

I've just attempted to use the "Download" feature after selecting a group of users after not using it for some time and find that it is now not working. No matter how I adjust the settings, the file that is downloaded is an empty file. I've tried every combination, I think, and cannot get a file, with contents, to download.

Have you had any similiar inquiries about text, ODS, Excel csv export problems? I searched the thread here and saw one, I think, but there was no mention of a fix.

Regards

Jason

by Jason Hollowell -

Lorenzo,

Sorry to be a pest about this but I'm having trouble with the csv export. I can't get anything to export. What I mean is, I can get a csv file to download but it is always empty. If I just try to download all users the file is empty and if I use a filter to select a particular group of users and then try to download them in a csv file, the subsequent file is empty.

The strange thing is that if I set the "Max number of course, etc..." to something other than 0, I get the courses assigned to the users I'm trying to download. The courses and roles are all listed in the csv file but the users information is blank.

I've poked around in downloaduser.php trying to figure out what the problem is but haven't had any success.

I'm currently using 1.9.9+

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Jason

by Lorenzo Nicora -

Hi Jason

I'm sorry, but I never had this issue in any of the site I manage, so I've no idea.

Your Moodle version is not an issue: I have some sites still using 1.9.9.

Are you sure you're using the latest block version?
You may download it here.

Did you enabled any custom fields?
If so, I suggest to turn them off before other trying. A lot of fuzzy problems comes from strangely named custom fields.

Lorenzo

by Jason Hollowell -

Lorenzo,

Thanks, it seems to be the same issue experienced by Rafael earlier in this forum (here).

I think I have the latest version but I'll download and reinstall and try it all again. Also, I don't have any custom fields enabled.

I ended up constructing my own SQL statement and grabbing the users that I needed directly from the database via PHPMyAdmin but I don't want to have to do that every time if I can avoid it. smile

I'll try a fresh new block version and post back here.

Thanks

Jason

by Jason Hollowell -

Lorenzo,

Well, I guess I had messed something up with my old install because I downloaded the latest version and tried again and now everything works thoughtful Don't know what was wrong with the other one...? Not worried about it though since I now have it working. Thanks for your help and sorry to bother you with such a trivial issue.

Jason

by Jason Murphy -
sorry for my lack of knowledge in moodle, only just starting out...

how do i install the useradmin module and install it for me to use?

i have a xampp installation with ldap setup etc, and linked to 2003 AD.
using latest build, 199+.

i read the readme, and it says i just have to unzip the useradmin.zip file into the
c:\xampp\htdocs\moodle
directory?

so all the files inside the zip file are applied to the directory above.

i tried this, but couldnt find the useradmin block in the moodle backend
i went to the notification section, and didnt see anything different to what was there last time.

i also dont know how to add the block onto my admin frontpage....

could someone please help me....sorry.

thanks in advance

In reply to Jason Murphy

by Werner Meyer -

Hi Lorenzo, can I install this feature on Moodle 2.0.1+ ?

In reply to Werner Meyer

by Jason Hollowell -

It looks like this forum is dormant...? I haven't tried but I'm guessing that this has not be upgraded to work with 2.0? If so, that is a shame because this is such a useful tool. I don't think the Bulk User Actions function in Moodle core matches this so it would really be nice to have continued access to it under 2.0. Is the upgrade quite a big task?

Jason

by Anthony Borrow -

Jason - Feel free to create a sub-task on CONTRIB-1988 for the enhanced user administration block to be upgraded. That will allow us to track all of the requested upgrades in a central place and also notify the primary maintainer of interest. I just gave a workshop along with Michael de Raadt on upgrading code from 1.9 to 2.0. It is not an insurmountable task but one that takes a little patience. If you want to give it a shot I would be happy to send you the PowerPoint from the presentation and answer any questions you might have. Peace - Anthony

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by John Samuel -

Hi Everyone, (willing to pay for this tweak ASAP)

first thing we need is : in the enhanced user admin block. when you click on download users, you get this excel spreadsheet that shows the courses that people are enrolled in, we would like to add course start date(date enrolled) and enrollment end date per each course. could anyone do that?

Thank you so much