Problem with viewing profiles

Problem with viewing profiles

by Paul Left -
Number of replies: 3
I've inherited a 1.8 site where some roles may have been tinkered with. The problem I'm having is that guests and admins can view user profiles but logged in users cannot: they get the terse message 'You can not view the profile of this user'.

I've tried setting role overrides for authenticated users to allow 'view profiles' but that doesn't help. 'Force users to login for profiles' (Security > Site Policies) is not selected.

I'd be grateful for any ideas on how to fix this!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Left

Re: Problem with viewing profiles

by Eugene Murray -

Hi Paul:

Try these administrative settings changes below to see if it corrects your problem.  They seemed to have worked for my 1.8.2 installation.  Hope this helps!

As an administrator, go to the Site Administration block > Users > Permissions > Define roles.

1. Click on the "Manage Roles" tab.
  2. Click on "Authenticated User".
  3. Click on the "Edit" button.
  4. Under the "Core system" category (first in the list), find the "View user profiles" (moodle/user:viewdetails) capability, and click the second radio button for "Allow".
  5. At the bottom of the page, press "Save changes".

Next, perform a similar change to the Front Page administration settings.

From the Site Administration block, go to Front Page > Front Page roles.

1. Click on the "Override roles" link.
  2. Click on "Authenticated User".
  3. Under the Core system category (first in the list), find the "View user profiles" (moodle/user:viewdetails) capability, and click the second radio button for "Allow".
  4. At the bottom of the page, press "Save changes".

All logged-in users should now be able to view all profiles.

In reply to Eugene Murray

by Paul Left -
Many thanks - I had done part of this but not all. It seems to be working fine now.

I'm not totally sure why the first part of your solution isn't enough to make the global change - but never mind, it works!

Many thanks, Eugene...
In reply to Eugene Murray

by Ashish Srivastava -

Hello Eugane,

Thanks for steps,

The 1st step is Ok, But I am not able to find Override Roles in Front Page Roles in Moodle 2.0.

I want that only faculties (teachers) should be able to view students full profile.

Any solution.. ?

Thanks Again,