Can anybody help me to understand the different phases

Can anybody help me to understand the different phases

by Peter Sereinigg -
Number of replies: 4

A workshop has several phases

I thought, that in phase 3 Students may only upload their work, they should be not able to see other students uploads at that time ...

• Under which circumstances students may see works from other students in phase 3?
    My students do so!!!!!!!!!!!
  • What happens if students have to grade their own work and may change their work after having a "look" at a partners-work...
  • I would like to give them the possibility to upload their work not only once, to have the oportunity in changing their work, upload, change, upload and using so in a save matter whole the time!
  • When this phase is finished, THEN they should be able to grade other works ..

Any idea or experience?

Thanks Peter 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Sereinigg

Re: Can anybody help me to understand the different phases

by Peter Sereinigg -

In Phase 3,

"Student Submissions for Assessment"  I find a table with such content:
Title - Submitted by - Action - Command

• Whats the difference in "EDIT" and "ASSESS" in the row "Action"...?

I guess, that the different number between "Ungraded Assessments of Student Submissions" and (higher) "Student Submissions for Assessment"  may have the reasen, that some students did not rate themselve jet....?

Thanks for suggestions

Peter

by Ray Kingdon -
In the Action column the word "Edit" means that the assessment has been made but there's still time to change it. It's this Maxeditingtime" thing in Moodle which allows you a period (normally set to 30 minutes) in which you can change your mind. Once that's period is over the assessment gets set in stone and made available to the person whose submission it is.

The "Ungraded assessments of Student Submissions" figure is the number of assessments the students have made on their fellow students' work. The teacher can grade these assessments but I don't. I use the "Analysis of Assessments" in phase 5 which basically does that for you. The "Student submission for Assessments" figure is the number of pieces of work the students have submitted. In phase 5 you will probably want to do some assessments of these pieces of work yourself. It helps set a standard for the "Analysis of Assessments". Also refering to another query to get the best out of that analysis it's a good idea to get the students to do about 4 or 5 assessments of each submission.

by Ray Kingdon -
"A workshop has several phases" - yes the number grew over time big grin.

Phase 2 is the phase when the workshp is "open" and students can upload their work. But in this phase they are not asked to assess their fellow students' submissions. That happens in phase 3. (Where the "late ones" can still submit work.) Then in phase 4 the "late ones" can't submit work but (peer) assessments continue (for those who submitted something).

Yes, you can have re-submissions, there's that option when you create a Workshop. I haven't yet used it though in a "live" class.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Peter Sereinigg -

Thank you Ray, I think my understanding for the method is growing ...

Peter