If you are interested you can test that feature on http://moodle.opitaan.fi

You need two courses and two teachers.

username: donald
password: dd

username: mickey
password: mm

Courses: Mickey Mouse's course, Donald Duck's course

If you share a directory:

Files and sub directories can't be deleted, renamed, zipped, unzipped or moved to the other directory. I will make some changes so that zipping and unzipping will work. It's better to restrict deleting, moving and renaming because then you remember that other people might want use your stuff. You can always unshare the directory, if you want to.

I forgot that other courses should have unzipping feature for shared directories' zip files.

This feature for HTML editor should be done also. If you want directory sharing for quiz module, please give me some advices.

Teemu
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Teemu Sumi

Re: New version of directory sharing feature

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Big improvement! Very nice!

Some further ideas that came to mind (and you probably have thought of these too);

• shared folders should use a different folder icon (orange folder with symbol?)
  • remote folders should use a third icon (plain orange folder?)
  • the screen for deciding which courses should see the shared folder:
    • should probably go back to the Files screen automatically after saving changes
    • isn't very scalable... perhaps a scrolling list with multi-select?

My only worry at this point is that Backups of these courses will become very difficult ... Eloy and I had to implement a tricky scheme of "stamps" to make it work for published quiz questions but it could be even more tricky for files. Obviously all shared folders can't be included in every backup ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Teemu Sumi -
Do you mean, that scrolling list with multi-select would be alternative way to choose the courses and checkboxes would still be there?

Teemu
In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Some sites have thousands of courses, you see, so I was just thinking of ways to avoid a huge long page ... I don't think you'd need the checkboxes if you had a scrolling list ... selecting the courses in the list would be enough.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Teemu Sumi -

Go and check the latest version. Could the checkboxes be there when there are less than 50 visible courses and the multi-select when there are more than 50 visible courses?

Teemu

In reply to Teemu Sumi

by Gustav W Delius -

I tried to go to your test site but the passwords don't work.

What is the current state of the shared directory feature?

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Teemu Sumi -
I restored all the test users. Go to

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=8022

and see the latest gossips.

I will make 1.3.3 version soon.

I have a feeling, that the HTML editor can't use shared files directly. Resource dircectory, Resource file and SCORM file can be a file, which is shared by other course.

Teemu