flat DB files

flat DB files

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 13
Wiki is special part of a course in Wiki, so choosing for a separate storage of pages could be considered. But what happens to all the changes if I set the flat_files_DB_option?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: flat DB files

by Michael Schneider -
Why would you do that ?
In reply to Michael Schneider

by Ger Tielemans -
If I use it for a student portfolio and I have to copy that complete wiki to a CD I give to the student, a falt file system with dir structure is easier to export, or make I a mistake?

by Andy Fundinger -
For something like this you should try the WikiDump plugin or better yet, the new WikiDump plugin I'm trying to get out this week smile  

Both are designed to take a wiki and extract a portable archive of html files.  The new one just has the benefit of some reccent TLC.  Specifically the new WikiDump will take a page and linked pages to a selected depth and include them in an archive with an index.  The old one takes an entire wiki.  Eventually the two will merge but the 'all pages' function is lacking from the new one for the moment.
In reply to Andy Fundinger

by Ger Tielemans -
Sounds good, nice

by Michael Schneider -
I am in the process of making the tools from the ErfurtWiki team available to moodle.

The HTML-Plugin sounds very nice !!! I will integrate it when it is out...

by Andy Fundinger -
I just committed it as WikiDump2.  It's a little rough and loosely dependant uservars.  Patches, comments, and bugs welcome.

by Ger Tielemans -

I was wondering: If I use now a group-Wiki from another brand, students can lock separate pages and take the (maintance) ownership of that page For other users they can put a simple commentbox on that page and if other users send in some comment, they get an automatic email. Are there under these tools of eWiki this kind of options?

by Michael Schneider -
No, I have not seen such a tool. You can make it readonly (soon smile )...

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Michael -

Not sure what you mean by "You can make it readonly (soon smile )... ". You can make it readonly now.

Student wikis are readonly to everyone but students and teachers.
Group wikis are readonly to all non group members.
Teacher wikis are readonly to all non-teachers.

Is this what you mean?

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Michael Schneider -
Sorry, my English is confusing sometimes... I have included new "Admin Links" where you can set read-only flag for a page.

by Andy Fundinger -
The code supports it, but there is no single permission system for EWiki.  I expect that you'll be writing your own to integrate to Moodle's permission system in any event.  Good starter code for the feature is in auth_perm_unix and password locks. 

To allow the append but not edit, add the aview/posts plugin and allow the 'addpost' action but not the 'edit' action.  Posts are separate pages in the database but are displayed with their main 'thread' page.  The notification as you describe is on my todo list.

AndyFundinger
In reply to Andy Fundinger

by Michael Schneider -
Hi, Andy.... I have a question about wikidum2.php... It needs the function "gzcompress" which is defined in dba.php. Is it possible to use wikidump2 without this plugin ?

wikidump2 looks very nice...!

by Andy Fundinger -
Without gzcompress (compile with php configure switch "--with-zlib") you can only generate tar archives.  The plugin should detect if it has been configured with a default type of ZIP and no gzcompress function and not register itself.  If the default type is TAR the registration skips this step and it should run fine(though it cannot create zip files).  I have gzcompress but the TAR generation code works for me too.