General ESMJ Forum

Moodle for mobiles after 1.6

画像 robert maran
Moodle for mobiles after 1.6

Hi,
Does anyone know if any progress or updates after "moodle for mobiles v1.6" have been made or are in the making?
Robert

評点平均: -
画像 Don Hinkelman
Re: Moodle for mobiles after 1.6

Hi Robert,

My school is using the Lecture Feedback Module--Mobile version and Attendence Slip Module-mobile version this year. We helped make some MFM modules earlier and may try to upgrade them in the future.

What is your interest? Which MFM modules and what teaching situations do you want to use them in?

Cheers,
Don
画像 robert maran

Hi Don,
In our required English program, most of students' homework has now gone on line. I would be interested in having students be able to do hotpot exercises, SCORM exercises, and moodle quizzes via their mobiles. With the way the quality and size of mobile phone screens is going, plus the the fact that many students seem to have unlimited time access packages to the internet, having or at least giving students this added option of doing their homework via mobile phones would be helpful for my institution.

Cheers
Robert
Me and Ray

I paid Jamie Pratt to make the moodle for mobiles quiz for moodle 1.6 but alas I don't have any money to upgrade it right now. You would be very welcome to have it upgraded.
画像 robert maran

Hi Tim,
I have tried on numerous occasions to email Jamie Pratt about it, but never get a reply. If you have contact details please forward. What kind of money are we talking about anyway? Any ideas?

Robert
Me and Ray

Jamie Pratt's email address is me at jamiep.com and he would definately be interested in upgrading this module. 

However,  I think that it will cost something  2000 dollars or perhaps less.

I hear tell of third world programmers that are cheaper than Jamie but I think that they would not be all that much cheaper and Jamie knows the code, and everything I have ever employed him to do he has done very well indeed. I am employing him and his team now to make some English tests because the product was great last time.

I will let him know about this thread.

I should be able to contribute a small amount toward the upgrade costs.

Tim

画像 Jamie Pratt

Hi,

I may indeed be interested in upgrading the MFM code. The MFM code is a complete parrallel interface to Moodle that works through CHTML. You can find out more here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Moodle_for_Mobiles. You've probably seen this link already?

Currently there are plugins for the quiz module and the feedback module.

If you are using a version of Moodle later than 1.6 then we will need to update the code. I think the code is also going to need testing on a variety of phones. When we tried some field tests at the JALT CALL there were problems on some types of phone.

I don't know why you've not been able to contact me by email. My email address is me at jamiep dot org as Tim said.

Jamie

画像 Ramon Iriarte

Hi Timothy!

I read your comments about funding problems to keep the MFM project going and I was thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to involve graduate students that are working in e-learning projects to take MFM as part of their research work. They would commit to the project because it would be a requirement for their graduation and the costs involved would be reduced to the minimum. There are many excellent programmers among them and many universities would definitely go for it. What do you think of this?

Best regards,

Ramon Iriarte

Department of Information and Computer Science

Kagoshima University

Me and Ray

Dear Ramon

Jamie may not be too please but it sounds great as far as I am concerned. If they, the students, are up to the task. I think that upgrading should be within their prowess. If I spent about a month I might even be able to do it myself. Where are the instructions, I wonder.

Should I do something about this?

Have we met by the way?

Timothy

画像 Jamie Pratt

I think that would be great.

Some care should be taken to check the quality of the code before it could be put into the Moodle CVS.
画像 Jamie Pratt
MFM is now registered in the tracker

By the way MFM is now registered in the tracker. You can post details of bugs by selecting 'Non-core contributed modules' and then in the next window under component 'Mobile'.
画像 Don Hinkelman

Hi Robert,

A few things to know about MFM. First, it is not one module but about 5, 6 or 7 modules with different people developing them. MFM is more of a movement of developers in Japan who have coordinated efforts in some degree. Here is a summary of what I know.
  • Mobile Lecture Feedback--developed by Sekiya san, Hokusei Gakuen Univ and SGU, now working with Moodle ver. 1.7
  • Mobile Attendence Slip--same as above
  • Mobile Quiz--developed by Jamie Pratt and Tim Takemoto, now ver 1.6. Recently used by Iain Stanley at Kanda Inst. Foreign Studies with very positive results--I think still on ver 1.6
  • Mobile Hotpot--developed by Gordon Bateson, not sure which version it is but you can contact him on the Hotpot forums
  • Mobile Feedback--developed by Jamie Pratt and Hokusei
  • Mobile Email Study--developed by Jamie Pratt and SGU
  • Mobile Email Study--a different program developed by Paul Daniels but similar function
  • Media Blog--developed by Paul Daniels, where students can upload mobile phone photos and video into the Moodle blog
  • Mobile SCORM--nothing to date
So I would see which modules you want to use on mobiles, and contact each developer separately to find out the current progress. At this point most are not ready as a ready to go download, but need a lot of support and sometimes some funds for upgrade.

Also note that Jamie is busy now working on core 1.9 work, especially the new cross-module question bank. This work coincides with development of the Self-study module (a kind of student quizzer tool) that Peter Ruthven-Stuart is making with Jamie. Jamie also has a project with our university that has been put on hold for six months until he has time. If he has time to upgrade the MFM Quiz & Feedback, that would be great--hopefully it is a minor job.

Now, why, you might ask, is the work not being more actively updated? I would say that is because of the mixed results so far with mobile phones. The idea sounds sexy and students sound excited at first, but there are a lot of problems to overcome, such as...
  • making a common question data bank so teachers don't have to rebuild content for each module--content-creation is very time consuming
  • great variety of mobile phone browsers depending on the age of the phone. Thus the lowest common denominator of interface must be used. Less fun for students.
  • about 60-70% of students have internet in their packages, but 100% have email. Of the internet-using students, about half have unlimited internet. Iain Stanley overcame this hurdle by providing the same quiz on the main moodle site and reduplicated on the mobile moodle site.
  • for the email study system, some students begin ignoring the mails, treating it more like spam. Then when a truly important message went out, it was also ignored.
  • teachers like me who cannot use mobile phones very well, then could not navigate to the site well. I have turned my attention to more urgent, less sexy development projects in Moodle as a result.
Hope this helps! 笑顔
画像 Jamie Pratt

"about 60-70% of students have internet in their packages, but 100% have email. Of the internet-using students, about half have unlimited internet. Iain Stanley overcame this hurdle by providing the same quiz on the main moodle site and reduplicated on the mobile moodle site."

The moodle for mobiles code is a parrallel interface for an existing site in which you can choose to mobile enable some compatible activities - quizzes and feedback at present. Since it is a parrallel interface to your moodle site the students will be able to access your Moodle by phone OR by a normal browser.

I am currently busy with other work as Don says. I'll be free around September / October.