Problems with Glossary in course 1

Problems with Glossary in course 1

by Mark Berthelemy -
Number of replies: 4
Hi everyone,

I've been experimenting with the glossary module. I've created a Glossary in course 1 (ie. on the home page). I've noticed a number of problems with it:

1) When a user clicks on a linked item they get asked to login. I was hoping that glossaries in course 1 would be accessible even without logging in.

2) More serious - when the glossary window opens the breadcrumb trail at the top is: MRB Education -> MRB Education -> Glossaries -> Search (where MRB Education is the site name). I notice this doesn't happen with moodle.org - what am I doing wrong.

3) I've tried deleting the glossary from course 1 and created another one in a new course. Yet the linked items (created in the original glossary) are still pointing to the old glossary - and still bringing up the old glossary entries. I've looked in the database and the glossary entry for course 1 still exists in the mdl_course_modules table but I can't find it in the mdl_glossary table.

No major issues there - but it would be useful to know whether it's something I'm doing that causing this.

Cheers,

Mark
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Berthelemy

Re: Problems with Glossary in course 1

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Mark, it look as though Martin has made some changes to one of the files in this module. The change log (2nd May 2004 at 10:13) is showing changes to showentry.php - listed as "Don't require login to site level glossary entries". The new zip file is at http://moodle.org/download.php/modules/glossary.zip

Hope this answers one of your questions at least.

This is only a guess - but the problem with Q3 may be the caching. The Glossary auto-linking filter (and all filters) have a variable for text cache lifetime. This can be altered in the Admin -> Filters screen (at yoursite/admin/filters.php).

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Mark Berthelemy -
Jon,

Thank you for that pointer - it's solved 2 of the 3 problems. I've still got glossary autolinks going to a glossary that I've deleted, but I can live with that.

Thanks again.

Mark
In reply to Mark Berthelemy

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, I forgot to post here that the site-level problems had been fixed yesterday.

As Jon, says, the "hanging on" links are likely to be because of your filter caching.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mark Berthelemy -
Thanks Martin,

Everything seems to be working fine now. I discovered that it was a glossary within a course (id=10) that was being used to create dynalinks on the front page. When I got rid of that glossary all the dynalinks disappeared. What confused me was that the URL being displayed in the status bar, when I hovered on the dynalink, was using courseid=1. thoughtful

Oh well, all sorted. And it's a fantastic function.

All the best,

Mark