Disabling ability to change course settings

Disabling ability to change course settings

by Eric Schewe -
Number of replies: 2
We have recently completed an upgrade to Moodle 1.8.1+ downloaded on June 20th, 2007 from Moodle 1.6.4+.

After completing the upgrade I went into Roles and altered the legacy 'Teacher' roll to prohibit editing of course settings. After doing this we had an instructor contact us saying she couldn't edit any weekly summaries in her course. Her course is being run in weekly format of course.

I logged into her course as the administrator and was able to edit the summery without a problem. I then switched my role to a teacher and tried to edit it getting the same error as her "Permission denied. You do not have access to edit this resource" (or something close to that). I then went back into the roles and allowed 'Teachers' to edit course settings again and the problem was resolved.

Is this a bug? I haven't been able to find anything in the tracker.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Schewe

Re: Disabling ability to change course settings

by Scott Grogg -

Eric,

We too have had the same issue for our instructors.  If we lock the course settings option, it prevents the weekly summaries from being changed as an instructor.  We have also noticed that it also prevents our instructor from clicking on the up/down arrows to move items within the page.  (This was noticed after turning on error messages since the up/down arrows were missing entirely.)  I've reported the issue with the up/down arrow error and course settings option to the tracker and may have reported the course summaries issue as well (can't remember).

Scott

In reply to Scott Grogg

Re: Disabling ability to change course settings

by Michael Street -
Any updates as to whether this is still a problem in 1.8.x? Did it ever make it to the tracker? I'm about to lock this setting myself, so if anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated thanks.