Success

Success

by Thomas Haynes -
Number of replies: 2

I have used the software that comes with my precalc text to generate quizzes.

I disovered that I can export from the HMTesting program to Blackboard format and then import into Moodle. This works really well with all the diagrams, etc. I have taken all the multiple choice questions and created a "bank."

The company is Houghton Mifflin, although I think the software is written by Renaissance(?) and they may make something similar for other textbook series.

The trick for me was to unzip the exported file and copy the ppg folder to /moodle/mod/quiz on the server. When I import the dat file, all the paths are correct. This is really easy, and the folks that wrote this module have made it easy for me to use the quizzing in my class.

I would provide a link except that we authenticate against the mail server here, and that makes it tough.

Here is a link to a screenshot. The pdf makes the pictures look funky, but you get the idea.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thomas Haynes

Re: Success

by Bryan Williams -

Thomas,

This is very good news, and keep us posted on other discoveries in this area.  If you could provide a little more information on the book publisher Houghton Mifflin and the HMTesting program, that would be terffic.  A relevant area for me right now.

In reply to Bryan Williams

Re: Success

by Thomas Haynes -

The HMTesting CD was part of the teacher resource package that came with my text. The questions correspond to the chapters and it has been designed to be used with this book. It is intended to be used to administer assignments off their server or create hard copies.

Running a quiz off their server is pretty frustrating, and I fnally gave up. Sometimes pictures don't load. The connection times out while you are waiting for the score.

I am using PreCalculus with Limits: A Graphing Approach

We looked at textbooks for Algebra 1 and Algebra 2 this year, and most of the companies have digital resources of some kind. The Blackboard and WebCT format for exporting tests seems to be limited to the courses that might be taught at the college level (like PreCalc).

I had gotten pretty good at creating HotPotatoes quizzes, but the license changed to require public funding. I work for a non-profit, but we don't receive public funds. I corresponded with the HP people, and want to respect their license. We could not afford the license, and I started using the Moodle quizzing. I really like Moodle better in almost every way.