Many documents were written on the subject.
Here are at my sense the major :
- Huge community top of reactivity.
- Total non profit organization so no political constraints or pressure, although some huge universities have actually some influence (that having 100.000 students may be more eared by H.Q. which seems being quite comprehensible).
- Simple technologies, highly vulgarized and well known. Easy to find developpers. May have very fast adaptation life-cycle.
- Build on reliable server technologies : Apache, Php, MySQL driving a huge amount of Web sites, collaborative platforms, CMS and other efficient information management systems.
- Build on efficient technologies, high information handling power with relative small size hardware (comparing to huge needs of Tomcat, Websphere and other application Server that should assume same functionalities).
- Pragmatical construction and design. No mazed libraries. Quite direct process path from user to storage system. This allows fast intervention in code.
- Quite nice updating model, that allows many upgrades being performed with a minored set of issues (we don't say there are not, but major part of accumulated work will never be lost).
- Full cooperative development model that allows many high quality contributions to accumulate new features, modules, enhancements.
This was for technical advantages, here are pedagogical :
- Object oriented, that means not "software object oriented", but "teaching object oriented". This provides the richest set of base objects aggregable within au course strategy.
- Constructivism at teacher level : teachers can construct themselves their own teaching strategy, arranging contents and activities into logically designed resources set.
- Constructivism at teacher level (2) : teachers can cooperate for constructing enhanced teaching strategies, using reactive community for getting help and suggestions of use.
- Constructivism at learner level : many social dedicated modules that allow peer to peer interaction and cooperation. Tools and activities for making content cooperatively.
- Nice ergonomic course model that allows managing big amount of resources without loosing control of the structure nor sequence.
These are my first ideas. I'm not alone and some other will surely complete the drawing.