New BETA version of attendance (v2.0.1)

New BETA version of attendance (v2.0.1)

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Number of replies: 34
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
2.0 - 10 may 2007 - Dmitry Pupinin [moodle.org member]
* code rewrited. Now this is Module with block.
* this version only compatible with latest Moodle 1.8 (without grouping!)

2.0.1 - 02 jul 2007 - Dmitry Pupinin [moodle.org member]
* bug fixed: course id in block. Now using $COURSE

! IMPORTANT: This version compatible only with LATEST Moodle 1.8+ (where "grouping" was disabled). Compatibility with Moodle 1.7 not tested.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dmitry Pupinin

Re: New BETA version of attendance (v2.0.1)

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Dmitry,

I'm elated to see the BETA version here and have downloaded and installed it. I'm running 1.8+ and didn't have any problems with the install.

I'm having a small problem that appears to be related to the language files but should be able to get it fixed. (*Update - I got the language file issue fixed smile )

Thank you so much for all your efforts. I have been anxiously awaiting this block/mod. smile

I did notice a couple of issues but don't think they are crucial in terms of function but should probably be fixed.

1. If the block is added before the module (activity) I get an error. It says "Bad Context" in a red box where the attendance block should appear. There is a "continue" button below the red box and when I click on it I'm taken to my front page of my Moodle install.

2. After adding the activity, if I click on the Attendance link I'm taken to the attendance menu that I'm used to from previous versions on your attendance for block module. At that point if I click on "report" prior to adding any sessions I get a 404 server error saying "/mod/attforblock/add.php was not found on this server".

3. I also just noticed that there are some help files missing from the en_utf8 language folder (e.g. createmultiplesessions.htm)

Thanks again

Jason
Here is a screen capture of the 1st problem.
In reply to Jason Hollowell

by Richard Webb -
I don't think the order of adding module and block is important for the first error. Following your report, I was careful to go to the modules/activity first to install the activity first, leave so the tables are built (built without error) and then go to modules/blocks to install the block. However, when I added attendance to the front page for a class, I received the same error (bad context message with continue button). I should also point out that the footer breadcrumbs appear directly beneath this message rather than at the bottom of the page. Could be something with my theme or could be a problem with the error message.

Richard
In reply to Richard Webb

by Richard Webb -
Oh, I forgot to mention (may be important) that I installed this with 1.9 developmental from about a week ago now. That may be important information!

by Dmitry Pupinin -
1. Yes. You should add activity first! I'll remove error in this situation and display notice about need add activity.
2. Fixed!
3. It isn't bug... clown My english isn't good, so you may help me having written help! ;o)

Thank you so much!

by A. T. Wyatt -
Hmm. I installed this on a local instance of
moodle 1.8.1+ (2007021510)
and I got the bad context error first, because I added the block. But then when I added the activity, the bad context error disappeared and the block displayed normally.

The real problem is the gradebook. Personally, I don't take grades on attendance although I certainly record it. I always used the block, but not the module. However, it appears that now they are tied together so I went to the gradebook to see how the attendance was reported there. I found a blank page. Prior to installing this mod/block I did have grades recorded in the gradebook. I also have installed the gradebook enhancements package, so quite a few of the usual gradebook tabs are missing.

Please see screen capture.

Does anyone else see this behaviour?

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dmitry Pupinin -
This is real BUG! Thanks for catching! wink

All bugs fixed! You can always get latest version of Attendance from CONTRIB in CVS.

by A. T. Wyatt -
I can't get tortoise to access CVS.

I have :pserver:anonymous@SERVER.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle for the CVSROOT, but I don't know what to put in for the module

contrib/attendance doesn't work and
contrib/plugins/blocks/attendance doesn't work either.

Could you please tell me the proper path? Or maybe put up a new zip file?

Thank you (sorry for my lack of knowledge here!),
atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dmitry Pupinin -
You should use some concrete server as SERVER.

For example I use:
:pserver:anonymous@eu.cvs.moodle.org:/cvsroot/moodle
and for module:
contrib/plugins/mod/attforblock
contrib/plugins/blocks/attendance
Yes, now it's in separate places!...

Also you can use more simple way:
http://download.moodle.org/plugins/mod/attforblock.zip
http://download.moodle.org/plugins/blocks/attendance.zip
This is daily build.

Remember, you MUST install module and block together! Only in this case Attendance will work! (code rewriting not finished yet. In future it will be corrected)

by A. T. Wyatt -
Aha! Well, I like the more simple way. Ever since they changed cvs I have had some trouble using it!

Thank you!
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Jason Hollowell -
I wasn't able to 'find' the mod & block (package) in CVS either so I'll use the simple way too smile

This may have been addressed with the most recent rewrite but....

I tried to change the settings on the scores allocated to "Present", "Absent", "Late", "Excused" and got an error. I never had this problem with older versions.

Here is a screen capture of the error.

Also, Dmitry, I'd be glad to help with the 'help' files smile It'll be next week before I can get to them though I'm afraid.

Jason

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Your work on 'help' will be priceless gift for me! wink
Thanks a lot!

by Jason Hollowell -
Dmitry,

I have started working on the help files... a little later than I promised blush and have a question about the 'create multiple sessions' menu.

At the bottom of the menu there is an option called "Period" and then a pulldown menu from 1~8 followed by "week(s)". I'm probably totally missing it but I can't figure out what that means??

I think I've got everything else and will try to get the files to your (or up here) by the end of the upcoming week (busy busy busy) but wanted to check on the "Period" option.

Maybe I'll go to my 'playground' course and try changing the setting and see what I get.

Jason

**Edit** I just tried adding sessions and used different "Period" settings but still can't figure out what this setting changes.... If you can help me to understand what this setting is for, I'll do my best to write a clear explanation of it in the help file.

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Imagine that your lessons in mondays but not every monday. If your lessons every other monday you can choose 2 for Period and module will create lesson for first monday from start date, don't create for second monday, create for third etc.
If you choose 3 you'll get:
yes, no, no, yes, no, no...
There is one nuance. Just will try add lessons every other monday but start date set to tuesday. Is not a bug... wink

Maybe I could change 'Period' to something more suitable in translation? What?

by Jason Hollowell -
I see big grin Maybe 'frequency' is a better term but I'm not sure exactly what the best way to set it up is....

Maybe change "Period" to "Frequency" and I'll try to make a clear explanation in the help file.

Another option might be to set it up like this:

"Period" to "Session frequency" and then "1~8" to "Every, Every other, Every third, Every fourth,...etc." and then "week"

That might involve more change than is practical at this point though..?

I think I can explain it fairly easily in the help file. smile I'll work on it today (Monday) as it is a holiday here in Japan and I'm relaxing at home smile

Thanks

Jason

Re: New BETA version of attendance (v2.0.1) (Help files - en_utf8)

by Jason Hollowell -
Dmitry,

Here are the help files for the Attendance block/mod - I am using them on v2.0.2 and everything seems fine. They aren't fancy but do the job I think. For the most part the mod/block is self explanatory but the "Period" function wasn't completely clear for me. The help file included here should help clarify its purpose.

The two language files included in the en_utf8 folder (outside the help folder) are the ones currently being distributed in v2.0.2)

Jason

P.S. If I can get some free time later in the week I'll throw together the same help files in Japanese smile

Bug report: New BETA version of attendance (v2.0.1)

by A. T. Wyatt -
Report on testing from v 1.2 2007/07/04 20:09:54
See blue for problems. Black for things working well.

1) Separate groups forced from course settings seem to work fine

2) Marking attendance worked fine.

3) I did get an error when I forced it to add a session for a date that had already been added. I got the error message that the session already existed, but the "continue" button gave me a 404 error.

4) If I added multiple sessions and then added the same sessions again, I got this error "A required parameter (sdays) was missing" and the continue button took me to the first page.

5) If I installed the activity but then hid it so that it did not report to the gradebook (set hidden items to not show in gradebook), everything worked fine.

6) I like this new red text when I forget to take attendance for some! That is different!

7) I changed the $string['nodescription'] = 'Regular class session'; from 'no description for this session'. My instructors wanted a generic description that worked for multiple session generation. They felt compelled to change the description each time when it said "no description for this session". In fact, I will attach the language files. I made quite a few changes, small things like capital letters. Use them or not, as you wish.
smile

8) Sorts in the attendance taking screen seem to work properly.

9) Version for printing works

10) Student one-page report works

11) When on settings page, no changes made, click update and error appears: A required parameter (id) was missing. At this point the continue button takes you back to the front page. Same behavior if you restore defaults or try to change a setting and save. (see post above--this is confirmation)

I am tired now! Let us know when you are ready for us to test the next version!

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: Bug report: New BETA version of attendance (v2.0.1)

by Dmitry Pupinin -
3) Fixed.
4) Can't reproduce (maybe fixed with 3).
7) Thanks a lot!
11) Fixed.

You can get next version tomorrow after daily build will updated or right now via CVS.

Bug report update: New BETA version of attendance (v2.0.1)

by A. T. Wyatt -
Downloaded latest (july 6, 2007)

Agree #3 fixed
Agree #4 fixed
Oooo #7, you already put in the language files! But remember about the date format. That might mess some people up.
Agree #11 fixed (no setting, changed setting, restore default setting)

New problem:
I add some sessions with the activity. I then click on "take attendance" in the block and I get this "nothing to display" (see screen capture) Same thing happens when I try to take attendance with the activity.

Basically, I can set up sessions, but not take attendance! What do you think is the problem?

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: Bug report update: New BETA version of attendance (v2.0.1)

by Dmitry Pupinin -
I reproduce this problem when remove all students from course (in other case all works well)...
Have you students in your course? wink

by A. T. Wyatt -
blushblushblushblushblush NO, I did not. But now I do and I find something else!

I generated multiple sessions, and in teacher view the strings are in the table. But in the student view, those cells are blank. See screen shot.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dmitry Pupinin -
This is not a bug.
That sessions really haven't description (try edit any of that and you'll see empty box).
I just has forgotten substitute empty description with "Regular class session" when display... wink
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by A. T. Wyatt -
I downloaded from cvs this morning (july 9, 2007) and tested again. The module is not reporting to my gradebook although it is definitely storing and calculating points based on the attendance settings. (I have students, I have multiple sessions, and I have entered attendance for each session).

Did you perhaps change something?

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Hmm... Gradebook works well...
See screenshots. Sorry for russian interface...

Picture 1 (attendance report)

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Maybe you use Additional settings in gradebook and not fully adjust them?

Picture 2 (gradebook):
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by A. T. Wyatt -
Oh, yes! I forgot! In my language files, I switched the date format. Maybe you should package them as en_utf8_us or something. I think the US date format is different than many other places.

I will get the new files and test some more.
atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by A. T. Wyatt -
Which reminds me, thanks for the CVS help! It is working properly now! I just didn't know what server to use.

atw
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Yes. this format very strange... wink

I know about this changes because always compare files before commit wink

I have created new package en_us_utf8 but it contain only strings different from standard English. Use this along with en_utf8!

by Grant Carmichael -
The module installed fine for me. Great job Dmitry, you saved me a lot of work! The only problem I had was under activities, instead of Attendance, it said [modulename]. After doing some reading, I only forgot to copy over the lang file.

For us, I don’t think administration will want instructors to go through a process of setting the attendance up. (Getting them to take attendance is hard enough) So, I might have to write a process that sets attendance up for each class automatically. Also, administration wants a global attendance report. That way, an adviser can spot students who are missing class.

Again, Thanks Dmitry!

Grant

by A. T. Wyatt -
I am trying to put this reply down at the bottom!
I have installed the latest (downloaded from the zipped location, July 11)
Installed into a moodle 1.8.1+

I get this on the tables:
attforblock module needs upgrading
But everything else seems to work properly.

I did just copy the files on top of the last version of attendance that I had installed. Is that a problem?

Do you consider this block finished, or were you planning any additional changes? I was wondering if it was ready for the production server. I already have people asking for it!
Thank you so much for updating this code!
atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Dmitry Pupinin -
>I get this on the tables:
>attforblock module needs upgrading
This is normal because I have changed version number.

>I did just copy the files on top of the last version of attendance that I had installed. Is that a problem?
No, you can do that. But better way is remove old version and unzip new!

>Do you consider this block finished, or were you planning any additional changes?
Nothing finished in this world... wink

>I was wondering if it was ready for the production server.
Do you think this version of Attendance not ready for using? Or I misinterpret?

Thanks for excellent bug reports! Yes

by A. T. Wyatt -
I think it is ready, but I am only one person!

If nothing else is reported, I will install on production server August 1! My instructors are already asking me if the block will be ready. They do not want to live without it!

atw

by sindhu neela -
how to view hidden sessions in attendance module?
In reply to sindhu neela

by Dmitry Pupinin -
Just change Course's start date on early date.
All sessions before start of course are hidden.