Grades disappearing in gradebook

Grades disappearing in gradebook

by Uzma Bhatti -
Number of replies: 10
Hello Everyone,

In one of our classes, the instructor has reported that he has graded submissions for a particular task, but he cannot get the grades to appear in the gradebook for one of his students. When he went to re-enter the information for the students, the grading editor has retained the feedback and grade points from the previous grading attempt. The grade appears in the gradebook temporarily but disappears if he navigates away from the page. The problem does not seem to be associated with the student's account, since the same student was able to receive a grade for the following assignment. At present, it looks like the gradebook is randomly withholding grades from students.

We welcome any and all suggestions!!

Uzma
In reply to Uzma Bhatti

Re: Grades disappearing in gradebook

by Joyce Aarsvold -
Uzma,

We are using Moodle 1.9, and I recently had a faculty member complain that random grades have disappeared from his gradebook - sounds similar to your problem. Did you ever resolve your issue of disappearing grades?

Thanks!

Joyce
In reply to Joyce Aarsvold

by Mark Woltz -
I would like to know about this problem too. I hate this new gradebook but am trying to make the best of it. I finally figured out how to due extra credit and *blam* now grades do not show up in my grade report unless I'm in edit mode, and do not show up to student at all. All They or I get is a slash if a grade wasn't entered. Any help would be great.
In reply to Mark Woltz

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Joyce and Mark, does the question about quiz grades disappearing in the Grades FAQ help at all? If not, please provide more details of your problems and consider creating an issue in the tracker. (You will need to create a tracker account in order to do so.)
In reply to Mark Woltz

by S Connor -

Did you find a resolution to only seeing the grades when in Edit mode?

I (administrator) created a single course manually, and online enrolled students (Assign roles). added single assignment, and manually graded.

Editting off

Course Fullname 102

First name / Surname

Course total

online text

Angie Bird

John Doe

Peter Piper

Editting on

Course Fullname 102

First name / Surname

Course total

online text

Controls

Angie Bird

John Doe

Peter Piper

Also noticed that Final Grade does not appear when in Grader Report, clicked Grade Item: Online text

In reply to S Connor

by S Connor -

Found why the Final Grade was not showing.

The Grade Item, Grade Type was a Default() When I changed Grade Type to Real,  the Final Grade was then visible regardless of Editting on or off. And now the student could see the grades too.

Even though the Administrator had Grades, Grade Item Setting, Grade display type: Real

AND individual course, Grades, Edit, Course settings, is also Default

So the puzzle now is: Why the Default Real value did not get used?

Yes I do see that Category Totals do say Real now, not sure what they were before.

FYI Reference that gave me hint as to Grade Type was a Forum Topic: Display score on gradebook don't count toward grade http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=113043#p496514

In reply to Joyce Aarsvold

by Terrance Millet -
The Update button has to be hit every time before navigating away from a page or
the cell entries are lost.

Onward!
Terrance

In reply to Uzma Bhatti

by Dawn Quinn -
I reported the same problem. The problem is escalating on my campus. Several teachers have reported today that course totals / grades do not appear in course grade book.
In reply to Dawn Quinn

by Robert Laboer -
I have the same. Not only new grades are not shown. Also older grades have disappeared!
Help me!
In reply to Uzma Bhatti

by sarah witherby -

I have similar problems ... not only did my grades disappear for two groups (just before 1/2 term reports were due), but it is impossible to export the gradebook to Excel (or rather, when you do, it exports a blank worksheet)

... I've changed all the grades to 'real' etc., but still no luck. 

Grrrrr ...