NWiki as official wiki?

NWiki as official wiki?

by Clark Moodler -
Number of replies: 15
I thought I heard that Nwiki was going to be the official wiki in future Moodle releases - is that true?

I'm also wondering about email notifications and RSS for the wiki module, are these in the works?

thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clark Moodler

Re: NWiki as official wiki?

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
As MD said its going to be in 1.9... soon. We are working on it backstage.

About the RSS you (all of your) can help us outlining the behavior for this features, because is not as obvious as it may seem. I need to come up with a specs for it... and will be done in a matter of weeks.
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Stuart Anderson -
This is just an idea...

How about email/rss reports that listed pages that had been changed, edited or deleted, with time stamps, the user whom performed the action and the page name that was affected. Something like:

Page <a href="....path to page">Page name</a> edited at 00:00:00 01/07/2007 by Joe Bloggs
Page <a href="....path to page">Page name</a> edited at 00:02:42 01/07/2007 by Mick Jagger
Page <a href="....path to page">Page name</a> created at 10:12:13 01/07/2007 by Peter Piper
Page "Page name" deleted at 16:55:01 01/07/2007 by Tommy Hacker

I think if the report also included diffs of edited pages it might get too big so keeping it simple might be a good thing.

What does the community think of my suggestion?

--Stuart.
In reply to Stuart Anderson

by Clark Moodler -
Stuart,

That is exactly what I was thinking!
Along with the ability to subscribe/unsubscribe or change wiki notification preferences right in the email/rss, very much like the functionality of the discussion forums.

Thanks
Clark

In reply to Clark Moodler

by Clark Moodler -
Oh, and additionally, if there were notification when someone adds or edits in the wiki Discuss tab?

Page <a href="....path to page">Page name</a> edited at 00:00:00 01/07/2007 by Joe Bloggs
Page <a href="....path to page">Page name</a> edited at 00:02:42 01/07/2007 by Mick Jagger
Page <a href="....path to page">Page name</a> created at 10:12:13 01/07/2007 by Peter Piper
Page "Page name" deleted at 16:55:01 01/07/2007 by Tommy Hacker
Discuss <a href="...path to discussion page">Discussion Page Name</a> added at 11:12:14 01/07/2007

?

thanks,
clark

by Stuart Anderson -
Ludo,

It occurred to me that this feature is almost like the bug trackers "Watching" feature where you get email alerts when changes are made to certain issues. Does Wikipaedia have a "Watch this page" feature? I couldn't see it, though I didn't search for long.

Users may want to watch a specific page or sub-set of pages or watch an entire wiki for changes.

I guess this is a "would be nice for the future" kind of feature as I'm sure there are more important things to sort out right now for v1.9.

--Stuart.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
In fact this is easy to develop but I'm concerned about performance in the cron.
In large installations and active wikis this may be a source of heavy activity, for processing and for email traffic. RSS is the best way. The teacher administrator can even redirect the RSS feed to a feedburner proxied to spare bandwidth and server load.
I've assigned a developer to work in RSS this very month wink
Cheers
Ludo (waiting for neews... )

by Stuart Anderson -
Thanks Ludo, glad to hear you and you team are still being as creative as ever.

I hope the lang/help files I updated for you were OK, if there were any problems with them, please let me know. Also, if there is any thing else myself or the community can do to help out with your work, please let us know. I presume there is no more news from Martin about 1.9 then?

--Stuart.

by Stuart Anderson -
Hi Ludo,

Not sure if Martin has spoken to you yet, but it would seem from the Roadmap that the new wiki has been pushed back until 2008 sad . I know that you and your team have put a lot of hard work into the wiki so this is a real shame that you/the community are going to have to wait.

Moodle 2.0 currently looks set to have a lot of new features...

--Stuart.

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Hi Stuart and community,

unfortunately that's true. sad

And it is as it must be for two reasons: (1)there is pressure to get Moodle 1.9 released ASAP (in the general dev forum we can see that, and who's behind it), and (2) nwiki needed to be reviewed by the community seniors, as was stated in the developers conference last April. Ten days ago, after applying considerable pressure (as you know) finally NWiki got reviewed (I really owe it to the great Knigth in Shiny Armor to take the time to do it and to endorse us, thanks Eloy!!). As is expected to be NWiki requires some modifications (specially in the installation script and data migration process, because was designed for moodle 1.6 and needs to be ported to the XMLDB engine).

I completely agree with the Moodle experts resolution. I'm only sad because it came so late that we are almost too late to fix the issues. The story repeats itself again sad

Right now we are (specially Pigui) working on the issues reported. We will try to have another candidate ready before august, but if more issues come up, we will go on vacation anyway.

I'm only asking for a little fairness here, IF THERE'S REALLY A WILL TO PUT NWIKI IN 2.0 .. THEN IT MUST BE IN THE 2.0 Branch SINCE DAY ONE.

Ludo

by Stuart Anderson -
Oh well, I bet you will be glad of the holiday! When the next candidate release comes out I'll run my parser tests over it and give you any bug feedback.

All the best,

Stuart.

by Mark Pearson -
"I'm only asking for a little fairness here, IF THERE'S REALLY A WILL TO PUT NWIKI IN 2.0 .. THEN IT MUST BE IN THE 2.0 Branch SINCE DAY ONE."

I wholeheartedly agree. The current wiki is a sorry mess and certainly not up to the standard of the rest of the Moodle activities. Wiki is one of the few purpose built group activities within Moodle (all very well talking about workshop, but how many faculty actually use it in practice?) and the current version is not maintained, and there has been no attention or bug fixes since 1.4 as far as I am aware. Nwiki is clearly superior and I am rather disappointed that it has not made it's way into the general release.

Keep it up Ludo -- you've got another winner like Alberto Contador in the Tour!

Mark

by Michael Penney -
THEN IT MUST BE IN THE 2.0 Branch SINCE DAY ONE.

Is there a ticket in the tracker for this? If not, lets get it in there so we can vote.

By the way, just installed nwiki for a pretty big project--it is really really good.
In reply to Michael Penney

by Clark Moodler -
I agree: NWiki rocks!

I started up a ticket in the tracker - though I'm relatively new to that, so not sure if I did it in the correct way...

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-10895

please vote for NWiki in 2007!

clark