Cannot Restore Course

Cannot Restore Course

by Sali Kaceli -
Number of replies: 6
We were running for a while on a test system which is now in version 1.8 with a bunch of courses in it. Now we are going live with a new server and the database backend running on Microsoft SQL server. We are trying to backup and restore the individual courses but it does not seem to work.

Both systems are running 1.8x the only difference is that the new system is running on MSSQL database backend. The backup gets done successfully but the restore takes forever and it does not restore the course. Attached is a snapshot of the supposedly restored results. It is missing all the course media.

Any ideas anyone.

Thanks,

Sali
Attachment elearning.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sali Kaceli

Re: Cannot Restore Course

by Brian Steere -
We are moving a course from one Moodle Setup to another identical Moodle setup with the only difference being that the new mysql server is not on the same server as Moodle. We are having the same problem restoring the course.
In reply to Brian Steere

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi all

Do you have install any 3rd party extensions? Do you save the course before include students or without students? Do you switch to the debug mode to see if the system shows a error warning?

I has seen this problem many times before, there was different reasons why a restore fail. The last time it was a problem with existing assignments when the saved course comes from moodle 1.6.x, before a problem with the dialogue module and with the exercise module.

The different mysql versions make us no problems, we restore courses from a totaly different server configuration and mysql 4 to another server with mysql 5 and different php version, no problems!

When i see the picture (it´s a little bit to small) from the first topic, i think there must be a problem with one or more than one module!

The only help i can give you is to try install the problem course of one of our servers to see whats happend. Second way, you catch another moodler and give him one course as a teacher with the restore file on your server.

Andy
In reply to Sali Kaceli

by Deb Smith -
I had the same problem, only I was restoring a course from 1.8.2 to 1.8.2. I suspect the same is true if you are trying to restore between versions. After many, many failures, I found the problem quite easy to correct. Whether you are backing up a course and restoring from your backup, or importing from another course you must do the following in order to be able to get clickable course elements in the new course:

When selecting the elements to include in the backup, at the very least select the following:
labels
database
assignment
lesson
quiz
resource in the top grouping.

Then, of course, select the quizzes and resources in their respective sections farther down the page, as well as any other modules you are using in your course. This will ensure that any quizzes and resources you have in the Quiz and Resource sections farther down the page are functional. If you ignore these top items in the interest of keeping a clean backup, you will have a list of icons that are not active. If you are using questionaires, exercises, feedback, surveys, etc, be sure to tick these items near the bottom of the list so they will be included in the import or backup. Hope this helps!
In reply to Sali Kaceli

by richard woffinden -

Did you ever fix this?

I have a MSSQL setup, and I cannot import any courses from mySQL databases into it, I get exactly the same issues

Thanks

Richard

In reply to richard woffinden

by Luke Hudson -
I'm noticing the same problem simply restoring a course backup into a new empty course. The DB is PostgreSQL, and the moodle instance is the same that backed up the course. The restore process appears to complete, but course media are missing. The icons exist, but no content, and links report errors (no such id, etc). I'm still looking into this, but thought I'd report that the problem is not limited to My/MS-SQL.
Seen on a couple of Moodles on versions 1.8.x..
I will provide details if I can-/ as I debug the problem.

Cheers,
- Luke Hudson