How well does moddle support our site requirements?

How well does moddle support our site requirements?

by Craig Lugenbeel -
Number of replies: 3

We are evaluating Moodle, Sakai and Angel. Our advisory committee has constructed the following list of requirements. We are looking for input from 'subject matter experts' in the field who could offer their evaluation on any or all of the following criteria.

Comments regarding the same on Angel or Sakai are certainly welcome as well, I feel like I'm asking a lot already though.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help.

Criteria

No support

Partial support

Full support

Works well over dial-up

The user interface is intuitive and appealing

Administration of the platform is easy and fast

We can create templates for programs so that teachers don't have to start from scratch

It's customizable by hierarchy: school, program, course

It's platform independent and runs on XP, Vista, Mac, Linux, *etc.*

If it's client-based, then there must be a browser-based solution, too, for remote access. With core functions that can be accessed through a standard web browser (e.g. at an internet cafe)

Is accessible for screen-readers, alternative input devices, and non-standard technologies (e.g. doesn't require Win2K or Internet Explorer)

Works well with corporate/campus firewalls

Supports selective downloading (e.g. opening a message doesn't automatically download an embedded 2MB attachment)

Supports attachment/embedding of multiple media formats (e.g. WAV, MP3, AVI, JPG, TIFF)

Built-in compression to reduce file size if desired by author (e.g. FirstClass supports this when pasting in-line images)

Ability to uniquely identify unviewed content (e.g. FC "red flag" icon)

Ability to view access history of content (e.g. FC "History" feature)

Ability to thread topics by subject, author, posting date (comes in handy when grading online participation)

Personal Blog

Personal Wiki

Synchronous Discussion

Simultaneous, multiple file editing. e.g. Google doc

Video messaging e.g. OoVoo

VoIP

రేటింగుల సగటు: -
In reply to Craig Lugenbeel

Re: How well does moddle support our site requirements?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Particularly helpful Moodlers బొమ్మ Translators బొమ్మ
Although it looks like that I'm doing somebody else's homework, I'll take a shot hoping that it will improve the chances of Moodle.

As you see, I'm biased. Also not a "subject matter expert" either. On top of it, I don't understand some the terms you use. So take my points for their face value కళ్ళు చికిలిస్తూ

> Works well over dial-up

Look, Moodle is a web-server. If your users are used to browse the web over dial-up lines, then a Moodle server won't be different. All the rules for dial-up (no big images, no audio/video, no bloated Word/PowerPoint documents, etc.) apply.

> The user interface is intuitive and appealing

Intuitive, definitely. Appealing? to whom? If your advisors don't like the colours and fonts (how about coorporate identity? విచారం) they can create a new theme, or customize to their needs. Moodle is Open Source!

> Administration of the platform is easy and fast

There are two levels of administration (at least):
a) System administration (OS, Network, DB, PHP)
b) Moodle administration (the admin account)

a) is like with any other system: Windows, Unix, Mac, Solaris, ...

b) is mostly web-based and fairly easy to start. Now what is a "fast administration"?

> We can create templates for programs so that teachers don't have to start from scratch

I don't know what a "program" is. If you (or your advisors) think Moodle means less work for the teachers, they are wrong. For one it is just a tool, the teachers have to handle it. A learning plattform is added value (quality), it can't come with a negative price tag.

If you consequently use an online plattform, in the long run there will be ways of optimizing the teachers' work, simply because they can reuse whatever they have developed.

> It's customizable by hierarchy: school, program, course

There is a thing called "course category" which itself can contain course categories. If that is what you are looking for.

> It's platform independent and runs on XP, Vista, Mac, Linux, *etc.*

For sure! If that platform supports a decent webserver, a database server (like MySQL, PostgreSQL, and more) and PHP as the glue. (I'm talking about the server of course)

> If it's client-based, then there must be a browser-based solution, too, for remote access. With core functions that can be accessed through a standard web browser (e.g. at an internet cafe)

Moodle is server-based like any other web-server. The users need only a standard web-browser.

> Is accessible for screen-readers, alternative input devices, and non-standard technologies (e.g. doesn't require Win2K or Internet Explorer)

(You are better served without IE, or the whole MS crap if you ask me ;-> )

Since Moodle is server based, and delivered through the HTTP protocoll, the people in charge of the clients should answer these questions.

> Works well with corporate/campus firewalls

If they allow HTTP, which is very likely కళ్ళు చికిలిస్తూ

> Supports selective downloading (e.g. opening a message doesn't automatically download an embedded 2MB attachment)

Again up to the client: What a "click" should do, a) open an application and (dis)play the document, b) download c) asking the user what to do, all these things are up to the client.

> Supports attachment/embedding of multiple media formats (e.g. WAV, MP3, AVI, JPG, TIFF)

Again client business.

> Built-in compression to reduce file size if desired by author (e.g. FirstClass supports this when pasting in-line images)

Could configure the web-server (at least Apache) to compress the communication - provided that your client (browser) supports it.

> Ability to uniquely identify unviewed content (e.g. FC "red flag" icon)

In the case of Forum postings yes. I don't know if that is valid for everything else.

> Ability to view access history of content (e.g. FC "History" feature)

Teachers can view the access logs of their students.

> Ability to thread topics by subject, author, posting date (comes in handy when grading online participation)

Is there a thing called "thread by subject or author"? Check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threaded_discussion

> Personal Blog

Yes.

> Personal Wiki

The teacher can give one.

> Synchronous Discussion

There is a chat module. Whether hundreds of people can chat over HTTP is the question. It was meant to deliver documents. If you need chat there are much better can cheaper protocolls solutions (IRC, etc.)

> Simultaneous, multiple file editing. e.g. Google doc

What is "simultanous"? You can have Wikis if you want.

> Video messaging e.g. OoVoo

Not to my knowlege. (If you find a free product, let me know.)

> VoIP

Isn't that a completely different protokoll? I can't imagine how and why I should plug a learing plattform to a telephone system. I would like to hear about that.

In reply to Craig Lugenbeel

by Michael Penney -

Criteria

No support

Partial support

Full support

Works well over dial-up

Check, as with any tool, your course content will also need to be lightweight for low-bandwidth users.

The user interface is intuitive and appealing

Yes (but these are highly subjective-generally "intuitive" means "used to"చిర్నవ్వు.

Administration of the platform is easy and fast

No LMS is 'easy and fast' to administer, they are complex programs to administer. For any LMS figure at least 1 FTE Administrator/10,000 users, tier 2-3 support, for tier 1 (how do I use a web browser, etc.), add a few more.

We can create templates for programs so that teachers don't have to start from scratch

Yes, Moodle does this better than any LMS, use backup and restore and/or import activities.

It's customizable by hierarchy: school, program, course

Yes, with roles, categories, and metacourses.

It's platform independent and runs on XP, Vista, Mac, Linux, *etc.*

Yes (not that the applications you are evaluating are client-server apps, and require a server--Angel for instance requires a Windows Server, while Sakai requires Tomcat.), while for all the client is a web browser.

If it's client-based, then there must be a browser-based solution, too, for remote access. With core functions that can be accessed through a standard web browser (e.g. at an internet cafe)

Yes, Moodle runs great in all major web browsers.

Is accessible for screen-readers, alternative input devices, and non-standard technologies (e.g. doesn't require Win2K or Internet Explorer)

Yes.

Works well with corporate/campus firewalls

Yes. If clients can connect to the internet through their firewall, they can use Moodle.

Supports selective downloading (e.g. opening a message doesn't automatically download an embedded 2MB attachment)

Yes.

Supports attachment/embedding of multiple media formats (e.g. WAV, MP3, AVI, JPG, TIFF)

Yes.

Built-in compression to reduce file size if desired by author (e.g. FirstClass supports this when pasting in-line images)

Images are not automatically re-compressed in the standard system. You can use the Gallery plug-in for this, note that any system that does this is going to require very powerful servers to scale well.

Ability to uniquely identify unviewed content (e.g. FC "red flag" icon)

Yes for forum posts, other content not in the current system

Ability to view access history of content (e.g. FC "History" feature)

Yes

Ability to thread topics by subject, author, posting date (comes in handy when grading online participation)

Yes.

Personal Blog

Yes

Personal Wiki

Yes (within a course, you can create student wikis-on the home page course and/or in other courses).

Synchronous Discussion

Yes.

Simultaneous, multiple file editing. e.g. Google doc

No (you can link to Google docs, etc.-again, you need huge server resources for this).

Video messaging e.g. OoVoo

You can link to OoVoo, Skype, etc.

VoIP

See above.

What you are asking for can be done with Moodle, certainly. Some of your requests are going to require a large, clustered server in any system, image compressing, VoIP, simultaneous document authoring, etc. for more than a few users, you are going to need to spend 10s to 100s of thousands on server hardware in any system to have these work effectively. Another option is to use Moodle with one of the conferencing systems (Eluminate, Wimba, DimDim) that integrate with Moodle, these generally provide dedicated servers for heavy duty compression work as part of a package.

Good luck in your search!

In reply to Michael Penney

by Craig Lugenbeel -
Thank you very much. This is great stuff and a big help to our project. I believe we will be piloting Moodle i the next week or so. While I think the products we reviewed are all good, with the constraints that we are under I think implementing Moodle represents our best chance for success.