DMS Teaser

DMS Teaser

by John Papaioannou -
Number of replies: 6
I couldn't resist the temptation to post a little teaser here, since development on the user folders tiny corner of this monolith is coming out very well! smile

Jon

Attachment dms.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Papaioannou

Re: DMS Teaser

by John Papaioannou -
OK, one more. Document screen this time.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Jon

Attachment dms2.png

by Paul Norrod -
Jon, it is quite amazing to see a little of what you are doing with "abandonware" (saw that reference in the MyDMS forum somewhere).  big grin

by Richard Treves -

Hi Jon,

This is looking GREAT approve, I am using moodle for developing some online courses with a disparate team - its working really well but I am sick of having to zip up multiple files and unzip them all the time on the platform sad so the promised DMS will be very significant for my use of moodle.

How are you handling the use of metadata? When you first develop a course you just want to get the damn thing out there and putting in metadata is v annoying.  However, as a site develops and gets larger metadata becomes more important and the fire fighting drops off at which point you want to turn metadata on and start being strict about people tagging objects.  I suppose this could be handled by always having the data fields there but using a show/hide button for the fields (operated at teacher level).  Is this a relevant point or have you already thought about this one?

A related point I've come across from the UKeU platform is bulk upload of metadata.  A facitilty that allows en masse upload of metadata (from an XL sheet for example) would have really helped on this platform and I guess it would be useful on moodle as well.

Just some thoughts, thanks for your efforts on this, can't wait for you to publish a working version

Richard

In reply to Richard Treves

by John Papaioannou -
The metadata will be there if you want to set it. Basically, I have quite a few ideas but I don't want to express opinions, because many people in these forums have tremendous experience as teachers and users of such systems, which I do not.

So while the features you mention have definitely crossed my mind, I don't know what the correct and most useful way to implement them will be. That information will be slowly gathered from the feedback of the people who will actually use this thing. So I 'm just trying for a barebones release to get things rolling... and then we 'll see!

Jon

by Richard Williamson -

This is SUPERB! I view the develpment of a good DMS as a huge step for Moodle, and you are doing a great job on this.

Overall, I found the design clean, attractive and intuitive. My one comment for possible improvement, would be that the folders do not behave as they would in a Windows Explorer page. Ie. when you click on a 2nd level folder, the other 2nd level folders disappear.

How does the left hand pane behave when there are menay nested folders and it runs out of space? Does it expand, or have a scroll bar at the bottom? I'm not sure what would be best - probably a scroll bar.

Might it be better for the user's personal folders to automatically appear as a 2nd level folder, so that the 'User Folders' folder is not visible to non admins? This would make it more intuitive for normal user, although it would spoil the integrity of the visual representation of the folder structure.

Keep up the good work!!

In reply to Richard Williamson

by John Papaioannou -
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the positive review! smile

The "folder behavior" issue you mention can be handled by the DMS structure, and it only remains for me to find some time to implement a nice and clean behavior. To be more precise, there is support for multiple folders to be displayed at once, but I haven't had the time till now to code it.

When the left pane runs out of space, lines wrap. That's not good either, and will be fixed. Someday. <sigh>....

As for the "promotion" of a user's folder, I don't think this would be much of an improvement. It isn't hard to reason that your personal folder is found under "User folders", you don't even see folders you don't have access into, and it probably isn't worth the trouble to "break" the system to accomodate this change.

Jon