Godaddy install problem

Godaddy install problem

by Daniel mcnulty -
Number of replies: 40
i have looked at all the Post on this site have seen many people have the same problem that i am haveing i am hosting on Godaddy and it is windows hosting i have uploaded moodle to the root dir and when i start the install all i get is a page is a installation screen and choose my languge nothing else no languge to choose Please Help
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel mcnulty

Re: Godaddy install problem

by Jeff Mehring -

Good luck. I have GoDaddy too and have been having a lot of problems. I'll keep an eye on your question to see if the solution works. I'm probably switching to a different server.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Mehring

by Daniel mcnulty -
That is what i have been reading in these Fourms i guess it is time to move to Bluehost Thanks
In reply to Daniel mcnulty

by John Kerr -

I have godaddy with linux server and have moodle running, some problems with IMS and scorm packages related to relative addressing but in general it is working.

I also have godaddy hosting a window site for me. And there standard windows hosting does NOT include php.

So I think all you have to do is switch your hosting service on godaddy from windows to linux. 

In reply to John Kerr

by John Kerr -

FYI - godaddy hosting on linux server with mysql is working now

my problems with IMS and scorm packages related to relative addressing were solved by adding the following line in php.ini

$CFG->slasharguments = true;

In reply to John Kerr

by Richard Enison -

JK,

Are you sure you didn't put that line in config.php?

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by John Kerr -

You are correct.  Thanks for catching my error.

I put the following line in config.php

In reply to John Kerr

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

I am facing the problem on GODADDY. I am not able to see my log report & statistics.

I copied the Mysql database on my local computer & Moodle installed on my local server is showing th log reports with same database.

But the log report is not viewable on GODADDY server.

Anybody please help.

Rgds

Mahesh

In reply to John Kerr

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

I am facing the problem on GODADDY. I am not able to see my log report & statistics.

I copied the Mysql database on my local computer & Moodle installed on my local server is showing th log reports with same database.

But the log report is not viewable on GODADDY server.

Anybody please help.

Rgds

Mahesh

In reply to Mahesh Agrawal

by Veg SEO Webmaster -
Mahesh,

There is some problem with Godaddy hosting for installing moodle. The better option is to change the host.
In reply to Veg SEO Webmaster

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

Which is the best option for hosting?

Rgds

Mahesh

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

I am still waiting for somebody to tell me the best hosting servers for Moodle. I would be pleased if somebody provides me the basis for moving from Godaddy to any other server.

Please help.

Rgds

Mahesh

by WriteToShare .org -

I am using GoDaddy for some hosting and I am I having no issues with reporting on a Linux server.  If this is a fresh install, I would suggest checking to make sure that you have correctly uploaded all of the Moodle files before you executed the installation.  What is the specific problem that you are seeing when trying to view statistics?

by Richard Enison -

MA,

1. The politically correct answer for Moodlers to the best hosts for Moodle is http://moodle.com/hosting/. It may not be the most cost-effective, but if money is no object, it is probably the best.
  2. As for why switch from godaddy, for starters read some of the earlier posts in this thread. Besides these I have seen other reports in this forum over the last half year indicating that they do not provide adequate support for the latest version of Moodle, e.g., in terms of version of mysql, php, php configuration parameters, etc. This may have been fixed recently, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Even if so, how long will it stay true as new versions of Moodle come out? Finally, I have seen bad reports about godaddy in general on the web, e.g. see nodaddy.com. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of these reports.

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -
Dear Sir,
The problem which I am facing at present on Godaddy is when I attach a flash presentation in resourses then it doesn't work. It is the problem with Moodle or hosting service provider Godady?
Please help.
Rgds
Mahesh

by Richard Enison -

MA,

Did you follow the steps listed here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/File_or_website_link#Adding_media_content? What exactly goes wrong? I know Godaddy will let you look at your website to see what files are there. Did it upload okay? Is it in the right place? Does it fail to play? Maybe you need a flash plug-in for your browser.

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

I did as per the instructions provided in documentation. The problem is flash file .swf plays but when you are attaching Camtasia presentation, it doesn't.

In Camtasia presentation you have a group of files. The steps that I followed are as follows:-

!) Zipped the group of files of a presentation created in Camtasia software.

2)Uploaded the zipped file.

3)Created a new folder & put the zipped file in that folder.

4)unzipped the file.

5)chosen .html file out of all the files.

In this way whole presentaion created in camtasia with control buttons etc. works in Moodle at local server. But when I try to run that same presentation in Moodle on GODADDY server, it doesn't play.

Individual files of these group of files like .swf also plays on GODADDY server but whole presentation by choosing .html doesn't play.

The problem is with my procedure or Godaddy?

Please help.

Rgds

Mahesh 

by Richard Enison -

MA,

What does the folder structure of the unzipped group look like on your local server? Are all the files in the same folder? Are they in subfolders of the folder the html file is in?

When you unzipped the zip file on Godaddy did you get the same folder structure there? If not, that's your problem. You could fix it by creating folders on your Godaddy server and moving files where they need to be.

In the future, make sure when you unzip on Godaddy you do it in such a way that the folder structure is preserved.

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

All the files are in the same folder & there are no sub-folders. But properties of uploaded files on public server is different from properties of same files in the local server.

For eg.

file cam_embed.js has following URL address in file's general properties

http://localhost/moodle/file.php/2/title/cam_embed.js

But same file uploaded in Moodle on Godaddy has following URL address

http://www.epathshala.com/pathshala/file.php?file=/2/title/cam_embed.js

Thus error in the code line " ?file= "

This difference in code line is in all the files of the presentaion.

If this is the reason for presentation not viewable then Please tell me the method to remove it.

Please help.

Rgds

Mahesh

by Richard Enison -

MA,

The "?file=" is not an error. It is an alternative method of passing an argument to file.php.

Actually, neither URL is the real location of the uploaded (& unzipped) file. These files are in 2/title relative to the Moodle data folder. For example, if your Moodle data folder is called moodledata, then the files are in moodledata/2/title.

file.php is a script in Moodle that accepts relative pathnames of data files and converts them to absolute pathnames like /www/moodledata/2/title/cam_embed.js. It has two ways to accept relative path arguments. One is to put a slash after file.php in the URL and follow it with the path, like file.php/2/title/cam_embed.js. The other is to use the question mark, like file.php?file=/2/title/cam_embed.js. With Apache, the first method only works if the Apache configuration parameter AcceptPathInfo is on. This is the default with Apache 1 but not 2.

If your GoDaddy server is Linux, it probably uses Apache 1.3, but if it is a Windows host, it uses IIS. I don't know much about IIS, but I know that the default for Apache 1.3 is for AcceptPathInfo to be on.

There is another parameter that you can control involved with file.php. It is not a web server parameter or a PHP parameter, it is a Moodle parameter and it is called slasharguments. As JK mentioned in one of his posts in this thread, you can set this argument by adding the line

or

$CFG->slasharguments = false;

to config.php. You can also change the setting while running Moodle by going into the Admin menu and changing the system (or server) Variable slasharguments. I would suggest trying both settings and seeing if either one helps. smile

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

I tried all these settings but it did not work.

Please provide any other solution.

Rgds

Mahesh

by Richard Enison -

MA,

I have visited Camtasia's web site www.techsmith.com. Their software allows you to save your video as a flash file. If you do that, you ought to be able to upload that file to your Moodle site and play it as any other flash file.

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear sir,

Thankyou but flash files are the part of whole presentation. Controls etc. in the presentation make seperate files and whole presentation is a group of files. Out of this group there is a .html file. when we link this .html file the presentation should run but it is not running. If we run flash files out of this group of files then it is running but not the whole presentation with controls etc..

I want to ask one more thing. I want use WINK, it is a very good open source screen capturing software. I want to check up whether presentation created in them can also be added in resourses?

I an check up myself but I want a more technical view from you.

Rgds

Mahesh

by Richard Enison -

MA,

1. Could we see this html file? You could attach it to a post, paste it into a post, or post its URL if it is on your website.
  2. I have been to the website of WINK (http://www.debugmode.com/wink/). It says it can output flash, html, gif, jpg, or png format files, all of which are suitable for the web and should be usable as a Moodle resource.
  3. It would be helpful to know a bit more about your environment. Godaddy has both Windows and Linux hosts. Which is yours? What version? What version of PHP and MySQL does it have? What version of Moodle have you installed?

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

The .html file of presentation is attached along with this mail.

Following are the details of Hosting environment:-

Apache 1.3.33
cURL 7.10.6
Kernel 2.4.21-4.0.1 elsmp
MySQL 5.0
Perl 5.8.0
PHP4 4.3.11
PHP5 5.1.4
Ruby on Rails 1.1.6

Moodle version- 1.8.2

Any other details please let me know.

Rgds

Mahesh

by Richard Enison -

MA,

I have been researching this matter for hours and hours. I have learned about the 2 javascript files referenced in the html file, and have been able to download copies of both. I pretty much understand what the html file is supposed to do. Some of the other files, especially one of the xml files, I'm less sure about. It might be the problem. More about that later.

I have found references all over the internet to people having the same problem as you posting the question on message boards and forums (including yours; the others were non-Moodle). None of them got a satisfactory answer from anyone.

Finally, I have sent an e-mail to techsmith.com. They promise a swift response. We'll see. Frankly, I have a hunch they are deliberately making it difficult for people to use the output of their product on any website other than theirs (screencast.com), because they get to charge a monthly fee for people to use that.

In the meantime, if you are willing, we could try a little experiment. You said the file group works on your computer. It is my understanding that all the files in the group are in the same folder, both on your computer and on the web host. OK, here's what I want you to do. Just copy all the files in the group to another folder on your computer. Then see if the copy works. Let me know what happens. If it doesn't work (the original should still work in any case), then I think I know why it is not working on your website. It has to do with that xml file. More about that after the experiment.

RLE

by Richard Enison -

MA,

It occurred to me after my last post that, even if I was right about the xml file, the experiment I gave you wouldn't prove it. The copy would still probably work. Here is a better (and quicker) experiment.

Whether you did the original experiment or not (and if you did, it might still be interesting to know what happened), temporarily rename the original folder. Does the html file still work? If you did the original experiment, does the copy still work? If not, then it confirms my hunch about the xml file. Now rename it back and both versions should work again.

However, I'm beginning to doubt that hunch, for 2 reasons:

1. In addition to running across other people on the net having the same problem as you, I have also run across people who have successfully used Camtasia to produce flash videos on their websites. None of them mentioned any problem with it or anything special they had to do to get it to work.
  2. I failed to mention to you that I had also been to your website. I found there a number of flash files referenced in html files that work, and they all look just like the one that doesn't work. Which suggests that there is something more subtle going on here.

But it would still be interesting to know how the experiments work out, while we wait for a response from Tech Smith.

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

1)I copied the original folder both on local coputer & in Moodle on local host- Both new copies worked.

2)Renamed the original folder on local computer & again it worked. Could not try 2nd experiment in Moodle on local host because folders created in Moodle can be deleted but not renamed.

Rgds

Mahesh

by Richard Enison -

MA,

Thank you for conducting the experiments. They confirm that my hunch was not correct, as I was beginning to suspect, as I said in my last post.

I did get a response from Tech Smith, in the form of two e-mails. The second one just said that the procedure described in the first was incomplete, and completed it. Putting them together, what they said was to do exactly what you told me you did: create a zip file from the group of files produced by Camtasia Studio, upload it to your website, unzip it there, and link to the html file in the group. In other words, as far as they are concerned it should have worked. Which is another reason I am not surprised my hunch was wrong.

At this point, I only have two suggestions:

1. contact Tech Smith again and ask if they know anything about GoDaddy that would explain why it didn't work; and
  2. contact GoDaddy's tech support and ask them the same question (maybe a little more tactfully! smile)

Actually, there is a third option, which I would try after the first two: Camtasia Studio has user forums too: http://forums.techsmith.com/forumdisplay.php?s=592c8bd3056b20d1decd2bb6e21dfc35&f=4

By the way, have you looked at the subfolders of your Moodle data folder on your GoDaddy host to see if the video, etc. files are where they should be? Remember what I said about file.php in an earlier post.

Let me know if you want me to reply to the e-mail from Tech Smith, or if you would rather contact them yourself. If you would like me to forward their e-mails to you so you can reply to them, you can send me a Moodle message with your e-mail address.

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

Thanks for taking all the pains. I request you to forward the mails from techsmith to following email address nirma53@rediffmail.com .

At other forum for the same problem I received the message of publishing the presentation as scorm & then using it. I would like to confirm this from you also.

In addition, from lot of forum discussions I received the advice that change your hosting service provider. And some suggested that to be Blue Host.

I would like to have your opinion.

Rgds

Mahesh 

by Richard Enison -

MA,

1. I have just forwarded the two e-mails from Tech Smith to you, as requested.
  2. I know nothing about Scorm. Worth a try.
  3. I don't know anything about Bluehost either. I saw it mentioned a few times in this forum, but I didn't see anyone giving feedback about it, good or bad. As I've said before, the politically correct webhost reference for this forum is to the Moodle partners who do hosting (http://moodle.com/hosting/). There seems to be one in your country. Just between you and me, I have seen almost nothing but positive feedback in this forum about siteground.com, and it is reportedly much more cost effective than the partners.
  4. I have another hunch about your problem, which I am trying to confirm on my own Moodle installation and running into obstacles doing that. I have not seen any indication, one way or the other, in the Moodle docs on whether Moodle can handle a resource that is an HTML file containing relative links (as yours does). The point is, when you use file.php to access an HTML file in your Moodle data folder, and that file has a link to another file in the same folder, will the web browser and server be smart enough to know that they need to use file.php again in order to access that file? If this is your problem, I have a solution. But I am having doubts that it is, for one simple reason: you told me that you used file.php with the video on your local Moodle and it worked. Again, I need to know if all the files produced by Camtasia are in the proper subfolder of the Moodle data folder, and nowhere else, both on your local Moodle and the one at GoDaddy. Thanks in advance for your answer. I will let you know when I have succeeded in conducting my experiment.

RLE

Siteground not the way to go

by Steph Wise -

If you do a search on siteground for the forums you will find plenty of negative comments about siteground as a web hosting company.  I will add mine briefly.  They have no post sales support, they have no phone support.  They provide only limited tutorial written support and when it isn't sufficient information, you have to pay $80 for two minutes of work.  They charge $30 for each addon domain when others allow unlimited amounts for free. 

Please go to bluehost.com for your web hosting company.  Just try any web hosting review site and search these forums for confirmation on this.  Bluehost costs $1 more a month than siteground.com and has everything that siteground has for moodle (using the same Fantastico Deluxe script package) and it has 24/7 phone support in addition to ticket support.

In reply to Steph Wise

Re: Siteground not the way to go

by Richard Enison -

SW (& MA & whoever else is interested),

I am flabbergasted. This is the first negative review of siteground I have seen in this forum, and it is very negative. The other reviews I have seen so far are either slightly positive or very positive, particularly on support. Specifically,

1. I have subscribed to this forum since November and I have in a folder in my e-mail program (Outlook) on my PC every post since that time.
  2. I have found Moodle's search function greatly inferior to Outlook's, so I did an Outlook search for every msg. in this folder containing "siteground" either in the subject or in the body of the msg.
  3. It found 14, of which 5 were positive reviews and 1 (yours, SW) was negative.
  4. The 5 positive ones are:
    http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=64066#289329
    http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=65099#293316
    http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=67930#p305577
    http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=74421#p333346
    http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=75982#p340123
  5. So if there were any negative reviews before yours, it must have been from more than 8 months ago or in a different forum.
  6. I also did a search for "bluehost". It found 8, including yours, none of which (except yours) had anything very positive or negative to say about it, although one or two kind of implied it was okay, sort of.

Go figure! smile

RLE

PS I also gathered from comments in posts in this forum that Fantastico should probably be avoided in setting up Moodle.

In reply to Steph Wise

by Carlos Miguel Imbach -
I too have suffered the pains of real bad webhosting...sad

But since I got to ETWEBHOSTING
My experience with them has been beyond compair. :D

Ticket answer time avergaes: 7 minutes or less if you are in a real hurry...
They also have Fantastico (although it is not recommended for moodle installation, because it will probably install an older version than the one available at the time, which usually means bugs, unsolved problems, etc...)
Support is superb.

I strongly recommend:
www.etwebhosting.com

Their prices are just above average, but in the Hosting business you DO get what yo pay for.

There is no magic hosting, and if it looks like it, its probably a lie, read the TOS, and you will notice.

In reply to Carlos Miguel Imbach

by Rod Spears -
Carlos,

How many students do you have connecting at the same time? I have been having problems lately when I have more than 15 students using my moodle at the same time.

Are you using one of their shared hosting plans?

by Richard Enison -

MA,

I have completed my experiment. The results are mixed. It turns out that relative links in an HTML file accessed using file.php work (at least with IE7 they do) if you use the form

http://www.epathshala.com/pathshala/file.php/2/title/whatever.html

but not if you use the form

http://www.epathshala.com/pathshala/file.php?file=/2/title/whatever.html

Which suggests (I think) that the problem should go away if you change the setting of $CFG->slasharguments (I'm not sure whether it should be true or false, so try both). However, you told me you tried that and it had no effect.

Therefore my suggestion is to do things differently. Instead of uploading the video files to the subfolder of the Moodle data folder (in this case, subfolder title of subfolder 2), upload them to a folder within the web files (e.g., your folder movies). To make Moodle be able to use them as a resource, it will be necessary to put a small file in the title folder to point to the html file in movies; I'm still working on that.

RLE

by Richard Enison -

MA,

OK. I have developed an example HTML file that will automatically cause itself to be replaced by another file in the user's browser. This can be placed in the subfolder of moodledata when the video files are in, e.g., movies. Here it is:

<html>
<head>
<title>None</title>
<META http-equiv="Content-Script-Type" content="text/javascript">
</head>
<body onload="location.href='http://moodle.org/'">
Hold on!
</body>
</html>

Just replace "moodle.org/" with the URL of the HTML file for the video; and replace "Hold on!" with whatever text you want the user to see in his/her browser window while the transfer occurs. You can also replace "None" with whatever you want the user to see in the title bar during the same transfer process.

For example, you can put this file (say it is called whatever.html) in moodledata/2/title, where moodledata is the name of your Moodle data folder, and Moodle can access it as file.php?file=/2/title/whatever.html. At first the user will see the temporary text you selected for the title bar and content area of the browser window while it loads the video file; then (s)he will see the video.

RLE

Edit: P.S. If you see an X in front of the word onload or any other word in the HTML code above, ignore it. It was put there by Moodle's HTML Editor for some obscure reason that I forget.

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

Instead of all this, I suggest simply putting up video on the webspace outside Moodle & then provide a link in Moodle as you provide for pages of other websites.

On my site I have already done this.

Rgds

Mahesh

by Richard Enison -

MA,

That is essentially what I was suggesting. I believe your movies folder, which I used as an example, is outside your Moodle folder (pathshala). The only difference is, in your Moodle data subfolder (such as title), instead of putting in a link to the video HTML file in movies, I gave you an HTML file that will automatically take you to it (it takes a few seconds to load; I suspect the same would apply for a link), thereby saving the user the extra step of clicking on a link.

Sorry there was a typo in the second sentence (not counting "OK") of my last post. What I meant to say was to place the HTML below in the moodledata subfolder, and it would transfer the browser to the video HTML file in the other folder (such as movies). Perhaps that is the reason for the misunderstanding.

I still think the videos in the data subfolder should have worked with the right value for the slasharguments setting. I don't know what went wrong there.

Hope it's working now, anyway.

RLE

by Richard Enison -

MA,

In a previous post, I said I was unable to find anything in the Moodle docs on HTML resources with relative links. Well, I found one, while looking for something else. It confirms what I found in my experiment about file.php and the relative links in the video HTML file produced by Camtasia. It also confirms what I said about slasharguments. Here it is: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installation_FAQ#Uploaded_files_give_.22File_not_found.22

RLE

by Mahesh Agrawal -

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot to everybody for all the co-operation & help.

Rgds

Mahesh