New Workshop Module

New Workshop Module

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 24
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Peter,

can you tell us something about the progress in development?

Ralf
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: New Workshop Module

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's been a year or so since they promised to work on it ... I honestly believe nothing is going to happen now.

Is anyone else interested in taking on these modules?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Peter Sereinigg -
The University of Klagenfurt has 3 memebers which work on this modul,
they promised me the runnung light version this summer and the advanced version end of the year. The Head of the University personaly is involved, to solve the workshop problems. 2 Programmers and one lecturer have to work on this topic.
In the contract with the university we wrote as the FINAL timelime 9/2007.
I Know, this may raise some problems, but the parts i have seen now, make me sure, this timeline will be ok.
We learned a lot in the past about "promisses" of universities ... But it should come to an positive end this summer.
Peter
In reply to Peter Sereinigg

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Peter,

what I didn't understand is the development without the community. Why are there no first drafts in the community? Why are the developers not here active? What about further support for the new module if it is such a secret development?

by Peter Sereinigg -
No idea, why you discuss this in this way here,
BUT you know, that we collected here in a moderated discussion a lot of ideas about a long time, which will be now included in two different versions.
  • a light version, very easy to use
  • and a advanced version.

Its no secret, the the first university failed in programming such a tool and we had to change the university for that, there - as i wrote - the rector personaly is involved and this will be the garantee for further support.
Peter

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Peter,

I really saw the discussions here, but I'm also wondering that here is no discussion about the progress and plans here.

I red several announcements but no results or communications about progress. Perhaps I didn't red all the postings, but I think most of them. Just I looked on elder postings here and didn't saw an announcement about two different versions.

You know that I'm a fan of the workshop module like you. After your reports about several problems I braked publishing lot aboutthis module and the use of it.

Ralf

by Peter Sereinigg -

just 7 postings below smile
2 versions, collecting ideas...
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=43808

Peter

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Peter,

you are corrct. After reading that 15 month old postings there was something written about 2 versions and also about two phases of development. Thats confusing if there isn't much information about the progress in development.

Just an other question.

Is the new module an update for the existing one or a quite new module. Whats about existing workshop activities? Do you plan to import them in the new module?

by Peter Sereinigg -
This is a result of this long discussion, there will be no import for old workshops in this new release, because datastructure has changed complete. New functionality disables an "upgrade". Interessted why? Have a look at the old code ....
But Workshop and Excercise will be then one modul.
We discussed importin posssibilities a long time with experts, workshop "new" will support the "socratic method" and will change the name, which name is not defined now, the old workshop will be - like excercise one or two relases a nonsupported activity.
Peter

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Hi Peter,

I think the result is ok, but I this are topics that should be discussed in the community or with Martin.

Ralf

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes absolutely. Otherwise we'll get something terrible developed which is unusable for Moodle in general. At this point I'm pretty much convinced this is what's going to happen, since we haven't heard a peep out of these students in a year.

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Hi Peter,

coming back to this old discussion about the new Workshop Peerlight module.

Can you please keep all of us up to date about the actual status?
I didn't find any newer discussion at http://wwwu.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~asoellei/moodle19/? There are lots of unanswered questions since a long time. It seems that the main developer didn't use this page anymore.
Did the discussion move?
What are the plans for Moodle 1.9.X and 2.0?

For Moodle 2.0 the workshop module is set to contrib. If there is nothing in development we should decide in the community that we didn't need this module. Or we need new or additional developers or maintainers.

by Markus Knierim -
Hello Ralf,

I noticed the same lack of activity at http://wwwu.edu.uni-klu.ac.at/~asoellei/moodle19, so I contacted Andreas Söllei directly via email. This was back in July this year, and I can't remember why I didn't report on his reply earlier here in this forum. blush

The bottom line appears to be that Andreas Söllei -- nor his fellow student who was expected to continue his development efforts and/or work on the Peer Advanced module -- will be able to further develop the Peerlight module. sad

Your questions, Ralf, regarding the current status of the module are straight to the point, and I am just as curious as you are to hear if there are any alternative plans or efforts in the wider Moodle community.

Cheers,
Markus
In reply to Markus Knierim

by Sheri Edwards -
As a teacher of writing, the workshop module is extremely important. More and more teachers who use peer feedback are beginning to use moodle. I hope the workshop module will continue.

Thank you.
In reply to Sheri Edwards

by Martin Dougiamas -
I too would like to see Workshop resurrected.

The problem is we don't have anyone volunteering to work on it. I would volunteer my team, but we don't have the resources to do it before Moodle 2.0 comes out (we are flat out already working on other major core improvements).

Is anyone interested in at least finding funding for this? US$20K would go a long way. With that I could hire a developer to refactor and modernise the code, plus simplify the interface for Moodle 2.0, making it much easier for the rest of us to maintain after that.

If anyone is interested in funding or part-funding this project, please contact support@moodle.com.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Dan McGuire -
So, does the workshop module that is available to me in 1.9 (I think) work? I want it to, and have made plans to try to use it this year with my 4th grade (age 9 & 10) students.

I want each piece of work that a student submits to be commented on by two other students. I want to be able to choose random assignment of reviews or not. I want to be able to have the marks given by the peer review count toward the final and I want a separate score tally for the quality of the comments, which I will do.

Can I do this with the current 1.9? I've already created the assignment, but I haven't shown it to the students yet. I suppose I could try it with a very small group at first to see if works, but this involves quite a bit of work on the part of students, so I don't want to start off on something that isn't going to work, if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I don't have any resources to put toward fixing design/programming stuff, unfortunately. I do have a group of grad students at the U of Minnesota who have taken on tutoring my students using the online text assignment, and that has been wonderful. It's been a bit cumbersome as far as managing the tutors and the students at the same time, but I think it will be well worth it when we have it running smoothly.
In reply to Dan McGuire

by E. L. Cooper -

It does sort of work but there is a patch/fix at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=92785&parent=429094 that sort of works. When I say sort of I mean the patch gets the grade book entry in and the student evals weighted at 1 seem to post ok but the teacher eval (which we weighted at 5) did not come out with the weight all the time. So count on manually regrading but it is still a good peer assessment tool.

A couple of nuts and bolts things too. If you are going to allow document uploads be sure everyone can open whatever you specify. We found it inportant that students undertand thier actual project grade was not based on peer assessment as well.

by Piers Harding -
Today, I made a largish commit to contrib/plugins/mod/workshop, to set the basis for upgrading workshop to 2.0.

This has only focused on the job of upgrading to use the new DB API, File API, Moodle Forms, and a few bug fixes that I've noticed on the way.

What it needs now is beating into shape, so that at least the existing functionality works as expected. As I don't have much experience with mod/workshop, I'm going to need help with that.

Once this has been achieved, then perhaps we could like at functionality and features.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Piers Harding

by Juan Marín -
Thanks Piers
In reply to Juan Marín

by Piers Harding -
Your welcome - please test and post bug report etc. As yet this exercise has no momentum, as I have had no feedback from anyone.

Cheers,
Piers Harding.
In reply to Piers Harding

by Dan McGuire -
I'm not sure how to go about testing. I've used the module for a couple of assignments and have found it OK. I, too, think it has enormous potential. I'm willing to help as I can as a classroom user.
In reply to Dan McGuire

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Dan, please note there is a project to rewrite Workshop module from the scratch which has just started. According to the project plan, the first public alpha versions should appear during May. I will announce it here and will ask the community for help with the interface and features testing.

by Thomas Goetz -
Hi all

I am a Workshop Module user. I miss it. Please update it. I am not a programmer.

All the best,

Tom Goetz - Sapporo Japan
In reply to Thomas Goetz

by Jestin VanScoyoc -
Like so many others, I think there is great educational value and potential with workshop. I tried implementing and had to too many frustrations and irregularities.

Thanks to Piers, Markus or whoever decides to work on it! Sorry I don't have an extra 20K smile