Presentation - How Moodle is Ignatian

Presentation - How Moodle is Ignatian

by Anthony Borrow -
Number of replies: 17
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
FYI - I will be heading to Cincinnati, Ohio to give a presentation at the Jesuit Secondary Education Association Colloquium entitled How Moodle is Ignatian. The presentation will compare the social constructivist pedagogy with the Ignatian Pedagological Paradigm (IPP) by providing examples for using Moodle in an Ignatian way. In particular, ways of using Moodle for increased teacher collaboration and the sharing of teacher resources between JSEA schools will be explored. Further, the use of open source solutions in education will be discussed to demonstrate how using open source software promotes social justice by making educational tools and content more readily available.

I will make sure to post a link to the PowerPoint in this forum (once I finish writing it). You are encouraged to follow Saint Ignatius of Loyola's principle of tantum quantum which loosely translates into "use it in so far as it is helpful, avoid it in so far as it is not". Peace.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anthony Borrow

Re: Presentation - How Moodle is Ignatian

by Art Lader -
Great! Looking forward to it, Anthony.

Break a leg.

-- Art

by Anthony Borrow -
The Moodle presentation at the recent JSEA Colloquium went well. I was pleasantly surprised how many of the 51 Jesuit schools were already using Moodle. The potential for creating a powerful Moodle network is very exciting. As promised, here is a link to the PowerPoint presentation that was given at the colloquium. If anyone is looking at how to present Moodle please feel free to use in part or whole that which seems to help you. As always, let me know if there is anything I can do to help you promote Moodle so that others can appreciate the power of this great educational tool. Peace - Anthony

by Art Lader -
Wow, Anthony,

Great overview of Moodle. I really like how you use examples to paint a picture for those who may not understand how Moodle might be used in various situations.

I was especially pleased to see that Milken citation on one of your slides. I am not an Ignatian educator, but I am a Milken Educator, so I felt included. wink

Thanks for sharing this.

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Anthony Borrow -
Art - I am glad that you felt included and you are most welcome for the presentation. What can I say, I'm a Moodle fan and I am happy to do anything I can to support its continued development. One thing that I left out of the presentation which I usually speak about when talking to teachers is how Moodle allows me to focus more on my students and their progress by keeping me from having to expend energy on so many other tasks. So often I hear folks comment that they fear that online communication is seen as a replacement to face-to-face when in fact I experienced as just the opposite. The online communication gave my students the opportunity, encouragement, and means to approach me (and me them) to start a conversation that led and enhanced the face-to-face communication. Having the message history allowed for me to be much more consistent and documented that the student was taking action and showing interest in his academic progress. Peace - Anthony

by Martín Langhoff -
Anthony - great presentation. Have you got a higher res version of the pyramid on slide #30? That's a powerful image.
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Martín Langhoff -

Thanks! Actually, I love the message... but the representation in a pyramid is -- i am now realising -- wrong. It does not convey the concept very well.

• the worst is at the top, and pyramids draw attention to the top of the triangle as the "hot" point
  • it is not clear what combination of tools were used - those who teach others, probablysat in a lecture theater first wink
  • the rounded numbers make me suspect the data
  • the unclear thinking about tool combination makes it suspicious too

Is the source paper available? Curious about the source data wink -- did a bit of googling for it and found a ton of copies of that pyramid but no numbers.

I'd love to get my hands on some solid research that gives some credibility to the message that combining the elements listed in that graph is effective.

(Note: I am thinking about the image in terms of Edward Tufte's approach to visual communication. Perhaps reading his books spoiled me... have people around read them?)

In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Anthony Borrow -
Martín - You may be interested in reading http://www.willatworklearning.com/2006/05/people_remember.html
which asserts that Dale's Cone and similar graphs like the pyramid are NOT based on research.

by John Isner -
graphs like the pyramid are NOT based on research

The education establishment will jump eagerly and uncritically on any theory that offers a simple prescription for learning. My favorite is Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences, which has become de rigeur in lesson plans. Gardner himself describes MI as a "hunch," and there are no peer reviewed studies that lend it support. It is rhetoric, not science.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I'm relieved!

Otherwise, this retention rate of 0% for lectures would be music in the ears of the administration who wants to cut evertything and throw out lectureres because adminstration costs soooo much. sad

by Martín Langhoff -
Hilarious... and somewhat depressing.

Sadly all the research around effective teaching practices is very slim on facts. MartinD's paper is really good but I'm not aware of much more research of that quality around.

Where's the emoticon for puzzled?

by Julian Ridden -
Hi Anthony,

Great presentation. You have managed to verbalise many of the items of ignation/moodle methodology that I had not been able to.

I look forward to using parts of your presentation with my own staff here (with full citation of course smile )

Will be in contact directly soon with some ideas.

Julian
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Anthony Borrow -
Julian - I'm glad you found the presentation helpful. If you want the ppt version so that you can more easily pull from it and reorganize, edit, add, etc. just send me an email (aborrow@jesuitcp.org) and I will send it to you. Ideas are always welcome - I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas. Peace - Anthony

by Paul Fyfe -
Anthony, this presentation should be great for getting traction for Moodle in the Australian province. Thanks. Paul
In reply to Paul Fyfe

by Anthony Borrow -
Paul - That is really good news. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or need anything. Peace - Anthony

by Anthony Borrow -
The jesuitcp.org address is no longer active so please send email questions to anthony [a t] moodle [d o t] org. Peace - Anthony