Problems adding teachers to metacourse

Problems adding teachers to metacourse

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I am trying to (as administrator) add a non-editing teacher to a metacourse. I am getting the message

"Can not assign this role to user "Fred" because Manage metacourse capability is needed."

The message isn't very helpful as it doesn't say who needs the ability. I am an administrator, so I can't believe it should be me smile

I found the 'manage metacourse' capability, but the help for that says:

"This allows a user to manage a metacourse"

...which isn't really help at all sad Can somebody enlighten me what is going on here? As usual, I will try and improve the help when I figure it out!

EDIT:

Weirder and weirder. There were already people in this role in the metacourse. I tried to remove one at random and got:

"Role of user "Charley" was automatically reassigned, please unassign the role in child courses instead."

Anyone explain, please ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Problems adding teachers to metacourse

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ok - got it I think. You need to assing in the "source" course and the roles cascade to the children.

I think the problem here is actually the messages that are displayed give you no clue.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Demetri Orlando -
Not sure what you mean "assign the 'source' course"... can someone please explain?
In reply to Demetri Orlando

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Howard and Demetri,

This is how I do it:

I create courses A, B and C each with their own students and teachers.

Then I create meta course X to which I import A, B and C as "child" courses. The roles of the users are imported too. If Jo is a teacher in A, she's a teacher in X too; if Bob is a student in B, he's a student in X too.

I do this as a course creator, by the way, not as an administrator.

Calling courses A, B and C "child" courses is not intuitive for me. Maybe it's because I use course X as a resource course for the other courses.

Hope this helps. Took me a while to understand it too.

Glenys
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by David O'Brien -
Hello
Excuse me for tagging onto the end.
I fully understand how this works but am unsure how you would go about removing "Jo" from X? The reason I ask is, what if Jo has no connection to course X?
Our scenario would be a work based learning course that has child courses of all our FD or ND courses. The work based learning course area is run by our careers department so the main course (FD/ND) lecturers do not neccessarily need to have the teacher role assigned to them for the work based learning course area.
I would like the work based learning course to just have the careers staff with the teacher role.
Does anyone know how I might achieve this?
Regards