Add birthdays to Calendar?

Add birthdays to Calendar?

by Fernando Oliveira -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Plugin developers

This may seem a little frivolous, but what do people think about adding a birthday function to the Calendar module? Students could enter their birth date within their profile section (probably just once, so theres no abuse) and the birthday event could take data from the profile such as picture, name and email link (send message), etc.

While such a feature wouldn't improve the delivery of a course/program, it would help to foster a greater sense of community (I run a Moodle site for elementary school kids... maybe Im a little biased mixed).  Anyway, just thought Id throw it out there.

Cheers,

Fernando

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fernando Oliveira

Re: Add birthdays to Calendar?

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Some people may like such an option. other one hate it. If someone works on this option please add a function to switch on/off the birthdays
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Genner Cerna -
Yes the idea of adding birthday is cool, and your right Ralf a hide and show is cooler...

by W Page -
Hello All!

Please look at the following thread,

MOODLE & GOOGLE ???

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=7322

One must be careful about what information is posted about students which might end up online anywhere. I am hoping that the area that holds such information will be automatically protected after Moodle is installed so that it is not indexed by a search engine.

I would like to see a freature which allows the uploading of Holidays from some type of text file, something like GIFT for quizes. That would be helpful so admins would not have to individually load all dates. Maybe even for different periods like a week or month.

WP1

Community-building features

by Fernando Oliveira -
Picture of Plugin developers

Definitely. Admins should be able to make the feature unavailable and students should also be able to choose not to display their birthday. But the birthday feature is really a part of a bigger picture that Ive been rotating in my head

The act of online participation in itself is a great learning opportunity this is especially true in the elementary and high school environments. Since many of my students have limited computer skills, their participation not only improves their language skills (I run an online literacy program) but its also a great way to beef up their computer skills (typing, uploading/downloading, online discussions, email, Internet surfing the list is long).

As with all of us, Im excited about all the Moodle functionality that is constantly being added/upgraded; proposed upgrades to the gradebook (Im particularly excited about this one), assignments, and other modules, are providing online educators with some great tools.  Im also increasingly excited about the community-building potential that Moodle has to offer. My students visit the Moodle site from home! Why? Well, not for the assignments, I can tell you thatthoughtful (they have classroom time for that). They come to visit the discussion areas and check out other students profiles in short, they come to visit the community. 

As Moodle grows in functionality, I hope the community aspect grows along with it.  The birthday feature may (or may not) be an example of one such community-building idea, but Im just advocating more community-building features in general.  approve

Fernando

Re: Community-building features

by Tom Murdock -
Fernando,

Maybe courses could create social forums for suggested songlists (song reviews?), movie recommendations, etc..  Depending on the kids, you might even have a forum that is a collaborative story (this will be easier with the new wiki module), where students create brief chapters or sections of a longer narrative.  The whole concept of making Moodle into a place where you create (rather than just submit work), seems like something to strive for with concrete strategies.

I have a teacher friend  (6th grade) who has a forum called "challenges."  When students find errors in his on-line posts or resources, they challenge him in the forum (stating his error and its location).  If they can make this challenge without creating an error (surprisingly difficult for a sixth grader), he gives the whole class a break on the day's homework.   This simple, competitive, fun challenge has added an element of proof-reading into his classroom.  Social, but also constructing an atmosphere filled with skills.

-Tom

Re: Community-building features

by Mike Jackson -
I agree that one of the things that I am finding with using Moodle in a high school environment is that the community/fun aspect is important in generating acceptance. The students liked being able to choose their own language and having me change the colour scheme periodically etc. The birthday idea would be a nice one.

by Hans de Zwart -
I like this thread a lot and am all for an (optional) birthday display.