Moodle Host With The Most?

Moodle Host With The Most?

by scott waldman -
Number of replies: 5

I am hosting Moodle 1.8+ on www.bluehost.com. The url is https://www.teachingwithtech.org/techclass/.

I find the site takes a few extra moments to load. When I am in the site it seems to work ok. I am using a custom template I downloaded and I am running an .htaccess file to force the domain to be https://www.teachingwithtech.org/techclass

I also host a Moodle 1.5 on www.1and1.com. The domain for that is www.region5nyc.net/moodle I am using one of the deafult templates. It seems that this site comes up faster.

What are the reasons for the difference in speed: the host, the version of moodle, the theme?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to scott waldman

Re: Moodle Host With The Most?

by Chris Lamb -

You could try changing the theme to one of the Moodle defaults and see if that speeds it up.  I had a major page load problem (~30 secs sometimes) which had started happening with one of our Moodles, which I eventually traced to the theme.  It had some code in it which triggered the Cron jobs, and for some reason this code was stalling.  If your problem is just that it's taking an extra couple of seconds to load then that might still be the theme anyway, as if it's a theme that includes a lot of graphics and some heavy PHP/Javascript then it will take longer to run.

HTH

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by Maik Riecken -
First site runs SSL (HTTPS). Second does not. Unfair race so far. SSL is always slower...

Maik
In reply to Chris Lamb

by scott waldman -
Thanks. This looks like good advice. I will try the theme. I need the ssl because of the text based filtering system my school uses. Upload a word document with certain words and the filter will block the outbound traffic.
In reply to scott waldman

by Maik Riecken -
What about zipping the word dokument first? SSL is an extrem workaround for your issue....

Maik
In reply to Chris Lamb

by scott waldman -
The SSL is the way to go. Any text in a chat or assignment or forum will be scanned. I think it scans the zip files as well. I believed I tried that. I think it is the theme.