Book

Picture of karem natoor
how to install a module in moodle???

hi there:

i just started to play with moodle, and iam trying to install a new module " book"

i read that i need to upload the zip file to the mod folder in moodle and to unzip it there???

how can i do that via filezilla or any other ftp software.

please advice thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of John Isner
Re: how to install a module in moodle???

Here are the generic instructions for installing third-party modules. If there are no specific instructions (e.g., a README) in the zip file you downloaded, then the generic instructions should suffice.

Be sure you downloaded the version of Book that works with your version of Moodle (download from here).

After downloading the zip file, upload it to your moodle site using an ftp program. I typically upload to my home directory.

After you have uploaded, unzip the file and move the entire structure (rooted at book) into the moodle mod directory.

If you have shell access to your site, you can do the operations in the last paragraph from the command line. Otherwise, use the File Manager on your Web host's control panel.

Picture of Barbara Jean Walsh

How do you unzip the file once you have ftp'd it into the moodle/mod directory?

Picture of John Isner

Is it your server? Or is it hosted by a commercial Web host? If it's hosted, does your Web host provide a Control Panel? If so, the CP shouldl have a File Manager that will let you unzip the file. If no CP, do you have remote shell access? If so, you can login to the machine and use the native zip command (I don't know what kind of system it is, so I can't tell you the command). If it's your server, then you (or someone you know) certainly can login to the machine and unzip the file for you.

Picture of Barbara Jean Walsh

Thanks. I Do have a CP and a File Manager. My host is SiteGround.

Me and da boys!

This video shows how to upload and unzip a mod in cpanel. I used the legacy file manger for the screen cast but I think that is available on your server http://www.e-blackboard.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=509 The mod I demoed was actually skype but book works the same way. Once the install is complete you will find book  (when your editing mode is turned on) under resources.