Moodle on a stick

Moodle on a stick

by Ron Hagley -
Number of replies: 8
Hi All, I'm trying to install moodle on a usb stick. Currently trying WOS installation but when I run start.exe initially Apaches and MySql sart up but Apache then shuts down. Anyone got any ideas on this problem - or an alternative installation i could use.

Many thanks

Ron
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ron Hagley

Re: Moodle on a stick

by Richard Enison -

RH,

I don't have any idea why Apache is shutting down. The first thing I would look at in this situation is the Apache logs. Then maybe I would look at other logs, like the php log, etc.

RLE

In reply to Richard Enison

by Ralf Krause -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Could it be that another web server is currently running on port 80?

Last week I had to check an installation of Moodle with XAMPP ... it had the same problem. I found out that there was a web server running with NERO software instructions ... bad thing ... you install a cd burning software and in the background it also installs a web server.

Ralf
In reply to Ralf Krause

by Chris Lamb -

Assuming you're using Windows, make sure Micro$oft haven't sneaked IIS in while you weren't looking.

Chris

In reply to Ron Hagley

by Vincent Short -
Hi
i am using Xampp for "My Moodle on a USB Stick" on Windows machines

and have had the same (similar) problem : but only when i change PC
it was the address (H: and not E: ) which had changed
v

In reply to Vincent Short

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Try posting a screen dump here of the processes running on your machine
In reply to Ron Hagley

by Gareth Davies -
If you don't want the hassle you can get Moodle on a stick in the UK from here:

http://www.partnershipmatters.co.uk

(If you prefer to ring them the number is 08700 668617.)

For about the price you'd pay for the stick in PC World.

This version uses The Uniform Server rather than WOS (which in my view is more robust) with some tweeks, and has Moodle 1.8+ on it. There is also two hard drive versions, one of which works on a network.

You might still have to sort out your machine if Apache is running elsewhere on it. Usually, it's IIS running on the machine. There's some support with the stick to get you through these common problems.

Is there a particular reason you want it on a stick rather than install on the machine? Indeed, have you installed it on the machine and that's why Apache might be running elsewhere?