New to moodle ... can I do this?

New to moodle ... can I do this?

by Adam Shore -
Number of replies: 3
Hi, I perused the forum blocks and this seems most pertinent so I'm posting here.

I've got a few questions.

1. I'm set up on a windows box and went with Apache. Could I have run IIS for this?
  2. I want to create a school, but instead of scoring, I want to offer them feedback and redirect to more reading they may need to do (they scored wrong on #20, so direct to some relevant links)... Is this possible? Tips?
  3. I also want to show a progress on the course. A gauge control that updates itself as the student answers questions in the course. Is there a component to do this or do I need to figure some custom scripting for this?

Thanks for your help.
Moodle noob.
Adam
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adam Shore

Re: New to moodle ... can I do this?

by Amy Groshek -
Welcome, Adam. If you know the term noob, you're less of a noob than many of us.
  1. I can't address the platform question. But you could look at the Install notes in the documentation. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle
  2. You can use activity locking (for now) and conditional activities (coming in 2.0?) to send students to relevant links.
  3. I've never heard of a custom plugin or block showing learner progress. Maybe someone else knows of something. I very much like the idea. While it requires a linear course, certain courses/learners could really benefit from it. SCORM courses (composed of several elements), when loaded into Moodle, do this automatically, in the sense that they show a checkbox with checkmark beside all completed activities. The gradebook will also show this if your landmark activities are graded activities. The student can view his or her own progress, but no one else's.

Let us know what you decide to do, and how you go about it. A block might be a good way to implement, if you do.
A
In reply to Amy Groshek

by John Brady -

Showing learner progress
I’m using a combination of Activity Lock (Conditional Activities) and the Certificate plug-in to create paths and show completion. See attached bmp.

Moodle 1.6.1

In reply to John Brady

by Amy Groshek -
Wow, that is cool! I had no idea! Thanks for the info, John.