The main issue here is how to change the code to UTF-8. As the scripts provide by James is not applicable for Moodle 1.8 (cmiiw) and it's really tired to do it manually, therefore I have done the following steps to solve this problem:
- Backup the database using MySQL, let's name it mdle1.sql
- Using Notepad or Notepad2 to change latin1 with utf8 (Edit > Replace > Replace All)
- Saving the database (eg. mdle1.sql), Encoding: UTF-8.
- Using PhpMyAdmin to upload and replace the old database.
As a result, the code has been replaced by utf8_general_ci instead of utf8_unicode_ci.
However, our website can display Chinese now (simplified Chinese & traditional Chinese). If you would like to take a look, just click here.
1. Is there any problem of applying these steps to change the encoding?
2. Is it alright to use utf8_general_ci?