The number of random questions required is more than are still available in the category

The number of random questions required is more than are still available in the category

by Mr. Shortcut -
Number of replies: 2
Hi,

I have some categrories and many questions in each. I've made a random quiz by choosing 5 random questions from each category and used it for testing purpose for several weeks. We can use that quiz well except sometime getting the message like that:
"The number of random questions required is more than are still available in the category".

Please give me some ideas. Thanks a lot.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mr. Shortcut

Re: The number of random questions required is more than are still available in the category

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The message means what it says!

There is a settings for random questions, which controls whether it takes questions just from the category you specify, or from subcategories as well. Which setting are you using?

Suppose you have three categories, A, B and C, with categories B and C being children of category A. Suppose there are no questions in category A, and 7 each in B and C.

Then suppose you make a quiz by adding 5 randome questions from category B, 5 from category C, and 5 from category A and child categories. Obviously that won't work, since you only have 14 questions, but you need 15.

Is something similar happening in your case?
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: The number of random questions required is more than are still available in the category

by Mr. Shortcut -
I agree with you in that situation. But you know, we can use the quiz for two weeks exception sometime that message appreared. It's strange.