Forum not sending eMail - Cron is working

Re: Forum not sending eMail - Cron is working

by Seth Lewis -
Number of replies: 2

I had a similar issue - emails stopped sending even though no email settings were changed. After a good bit of frustration, I stumbled on an error message in the cron log that said something about the time zone setting. Evidently, setting the time zone to UTC-X (any number) somehow caused the email to fail. Once I changed the timezone setting back to 'server's local time' it immediately started sending the emails again. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Seth Lewis

by dan attwood -

I just been battling this issue as well.

To fix this I did

chown administrator:www-data -R mod/forum

Then I opened up the mdl_task_scheduled table and added in a row for the forum

component  - classname 

mod_forum - \mod_forum\task\cron_task

In reply to dan attwood

by Robin Trangmar -

I'm running the latest Moodle 3.1, and this issue was present with the last release 3.0.4.

Crons are running correctly

All the mailbox settings are checked and have been modified to see if there is a difference

ISP has checked all the server side mailbox settings

I've created the following mailboxes >  inbox.tobeconfirmed@domain  and  tobeconfirmed@domain 

I'm now looking for a wall to bang my head on! Any help would be gratefully received!!

Running Cron again gets this report:

>>

Execute scheduled task: Forum mailings and maintenance jobs (mod_forum\task\cron_task)

... started 09:44:10. Current memory use 11.8MB.

Processing user 4

Processing user 13

Sending Error: lib/moodlelib.php email_to_user(): SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

post 790: Re: Test message

Processing user 1437

Processing user 6

Processing user 19

Sending Error: lib/moodlelib.php email_to_user(): SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

Processing user 3

Processing user 2

Processing user 24

3 users were sent post 790, 'Re: Test message'

Starting digest processing...

Cleaned old digest records

... used 72 dbqueries

... used 1.0838561058044 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Forum mailings and maintenance jobs (mod_forum\task\cron_task)

Execute scheduled task: Incoming email pickup (tool_messageinbound\task\pickup_task)

... started 09:44:11. Current memory use 20.9MB.

Connecting to mail.s702.sureserver.com as moodle.2016@domain

Connection established.

Searching for Unseen, Unflagged email in the folder 'INBOX'

Found 0 messages to parse. Parsing...

... used 0 dbqueries

... used 0.06174898147583 seconds

Scheduled task complete: Incoming email pickup (tool_messageinbound\task\pickup_task)

Execute scheduled task: Removes any unnecessary event monitor events (tool_monitor\task\clean_events)

... started 09:44:11. Current memory use 22.4MB.