Labels in sections are not imported

Labels in sections are not imported

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I have problems in several system swith the import of labels in sections header. They are not imported. Problem in several versions of Moodle.

Is there anyone with the same problems?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: Labels in sections are not imported

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The same problem happens with backup and retore. Section summaries are included in the backup, but not restored in the restore process. There is bug report since March: http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-8848

by Deb Smith -
I had the same problem, only I was restoring a course from 1.8.2 to 1.8.2. I suspect the same is true if you are trying to restore between versions. After many, many failures, I found the problem quite easy to correct. Whether you are backing up a course and restoring from your backup, or importing from another course you must do the following in order to be able to get clickable course elements in the new course:

When selecting the elements to include in the backup, at the very least select the following:
labels
database
assignment
lesson
quiz
resource in the top grouping.

Then, of course, select the quizzes and resources in their respective sections farther down the page, as well as any other modules you are using in your course. This will ensure that any quizzes and resources you have in the Quiz and Resource sections farther down the page are functional. If you ignore these top items in the interest of keeping a clean backup, you will have a list of icons that are not active. If you are using questionaires, exercises, feedback, surveys, etc, be sure to tick these items near the bottom of the list so they will be included in the import or backup. Hope this helps!
In reply to Deb Smith

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Hi Deb,

my problem is only about the labels in top of each section. In time we found this explanation and solution:

- While importing or restoring the process finds that there is an existing label and doesn't overwrite and skip it.

What you can do ist this:
- If you restore and choose during the initial steps "restore in a new course" the labels are correctly added.

by Thomas Eibel -
Hi, I do have the same problem:
I created just a "blank" course. As I import a previous course or a "template"-course e.g., the labels are not imported. This is very anoying and creates a lot of additional work, since the labels have to be filled in by hand for every created course.
If I do not create the course manually, but use import and "New Course" then, the labels are imported.

From users point of view, I can't see the difference between the manually created blank course an the use of "New Course" during the import-function.

Remark: As far as I remember, I did not had this behaviour last year in moodle 1.5.2, but since I updated to 1.8.2.

* The same as Ralf, I use german language (relevant?)
Best Regards,
Thomas

In reply to Thomas Eibel

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Hi Thomas,

no its language independent.

The problem is that the import process can't overwrite an existing element. A label exists at the beginning of each topic/week in each course. My idea was to add a check in the import/restore process if the label is empty or not.

There are two workaraounds just now.
  • Don't use the basic labels. Add an additional headline/text field and write your headline there. It won't be a difference for students. restore and import works fine.
  • Use the restore in a new course feature.