Voice based questions

Voice based questions

Pratik Shah -
Number of replies: 11

Hi,

Does moodle have the support for voice - based quiz . I wish to add a question type which is exacty similar to "Essay Type" question. However, the user, rather than specifying the answer, they would speak the answer to a specific question over the microphone and that answer will be saved on the server as audio file.

Is this possible in Moodle???

Kind regards

Pratik 

Վարկանիշների միջին թիվը. -
In reply to Pratik Shah

Re: Voice based questions

Werner G. Vavken -
I beleive you could do a "assignment" module, specify the student to upload an audio file and that would solve your problem. You would have to be mindful of the maximum file upload size limitation, however.

WERNER
In reply to Werner G. Vavken

Tim Hunt -
Core developers Նկարը Documentation writers Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Peer reviewers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը
It does not exist yet. It would be a really cool question type. Sakai has it, so it would be nice if Moodle has it too, but I don't have time to develop it.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Pratik Shah -

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Will that be possible in the near future, say by Moodle 1.9.

Kind regards

Pratik

In reply to Pratik Shah

Timothy Takemoto -

There is a lot of exciting discussion on ways to get moodle voiced-up over on the Moodle for Language teachers forums.

Issues include
1) How is voice going to be recorded? Are students going to use client-side software like wavepad/audacity (not bundled with LAME) /mp3myp3 to record? Or do you hope that Moodle will allow recording on the server? There are things like Wimba, Gong and now Moodle's very own voice recording friend Covcell that are providing java based, and Jamie P (at least before he got busy on the core of the quiz) and Heinz-Günter Kuper with Red 5, and some proprietory Flash Communications Server solutions, and the possibility of integration with external servers such as Yackpack, that are allow or are working towards allowing the servers record.

2) A characteristic of the quiz is that answers are (not always but) generally graded automatically, otherwise you have essentially an assignment (is it or excercise?) or a forum which can be graded manually. Until there is voice recognition built in to moodle, (and apparently there are advances in this area but it is still a long way from joining moodle) then you are looking at manual grading.

Bearing that in mind, in the meantime you might consider providing links to wavepad/audacity/mp3myp3  and get students to upload their voice recording files to a one thread per student forum, and then grading forum posts manually.

Do forum mp3 files get linked to the player automatically these days? I posted a bug a while back. Yes they do! Super! Thank Moodleness.

So voiced based manually graded tests, in the form of graded forums, are with us now but, what did you have in mind with a voice based question?

Timothy

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Andreas Forstinger -
Hi all!
I'd just like to come up with another option one could think of how voice or audio recordings in general could be recorded and integrated into Moodle - mobile phones and PDAs!
As I already mentioned in some other discussions, I am working on a mobile rich client allowing for mobile access to Moodle via java enabled phones or PDAs.
The thing special about our solution is, that you can make use of the integrated multimedia features the device offers! So audio and voice recording is just the beginning! One can also use the integrated camera to take photographs and what can be even more useful - record video clips.

So coming back to this discussion, the student is able for example to reply to a forum discussion via the app on her phone and directly attach an audio comment! Of course this functionality can easily be extended to other modules like the voice question module, Speex etc.

If you are interested, please do not hesitate to drop me a line or give me a skype call. For the moment our project site www.mobileclassroom.at is mainly in german only տխրում եմ I am working on some documentation, but my (time) ressources are very limited at the moment.

Cheers,
Andreas
In reply to Pratik Shah

Joseph Rézeau -
Core developers Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը Testers Նկարը Translators Նկարը
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Timothy Takemoto -

Pratik Shah -
Hi,
I downloaded the Audio Recorder module and integrated the same with my existing Moodle. All the functionality of the module works fine.

I have one query. Can I add a sound clip (or a recorded voice) to the FEEDBACK or the GENERAL FEEDBACK textareas (of the Quiz module), the way I add it to QuestionText area.??

Regards
Pratik
In reply to Pratik Shah

Tim Hunt -
Core developers Նկարը Documentation writers Նկարը Particularly helpful Moodlers Նկարը Peer reviewers Նկարը Plugin developers Նկարը
Probably, you will have to try it and see if it works. Do let us know.

If it does not work, file a bug in the tracker, because it should.

It should also work in multiple choice options.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Pratik Shah -
Hi,

I checked at my end again, but I cant see the HTML editor (on my moodle setup) for Feedback, General Feedback and Choices textareas.

However, before I log the bug into the tracker, I would like to know whether there is any parameter (like
htmleditor) which needs to be turn on for all these 3 textareas

Waiting for your response

Regards
Pratik

Pratik Shah -
Hi,
As suggested by you, I downloaded the Audio Recorder Module, and integrated the same with my existing MOODLE setup. It works very fine. Thank You very much.smile

However, I would like to know that at the time of recording the sound, the voice quality of the audio is very low, but the volume of my audio control is at the fullest. sad

Do I need to configure anything so as to increase the volume. I researched the
Audio Recorder Module, but could not find any volume settings.

Please help

Regards

Pratik