IP based access

IP based access

by Craig Hicks -
Number of replies: 11
As part of a statewide project there is a question that has come up. Is it possible to configure a Moodle server to function within wide area network? We would like to configure the server to accept direct access from machines within a regional network (intranet).
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Craig Hicks

Re: IP based access

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Craig - Simply configure your server to allow access for your ip range. This is especially easy if you have 10.x.x.x type IPs within your wide area network. This is not so much a matter of configuring Moodle as it is configuring apache or whatever you webserver is that is serving the Moodle pages.
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Craig Hicks -
Question extension to Anthony and others: Is it possible to allow direct IP Intranet access to the Moodle server during day-time access and also Internet web access for after-hours and non-state network usage?
In reply to Craig Hicks

by Anthony Borrow -
Technically speaking yes. You could have a cron job that executes at a certain time and overwrites the apache config file and then restarts the server with the new file and then swap it back with another cron job. I guess my question is why worry about the ip address if you are authenticating your users?

by Craig Hicks -
The reason we would like to have intranet access is specific to bandwidth. If we are pushing elaborate learning objects, it would be nice to have direct access within our intranet during the school day, but still have access to the content outside of school time.

by Viorel Tabara -
You can also achieve the IP filtering by playing with  the 'iptables' rules. I would personally go with this solution since it's only one extra parameter you'll need to add/remove: "-s <net_addr/net_mask>".
In reply to Viorel Tabara

by Anthony Borrow -
Viorel - Could you explain in basic terms how iptables works? I am just not that familiar with it but it sounds like a type of mapping whereby the server handles traffic from a particular range in one way and traffic from another IP range in another. If that is the case, then it does sound like a better solution since it would not involve constantly restarting the apache server. Peace - Anthony

by Viorel Tabara -
On a RedHat system the configuration file is located under "/etc/sysconfig/iptables".
Assuming that your network address is 10.0.0.0 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 the iptables rule to restrict the HTTP connections to this network only will look like:
//
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -s 10.0.0.0/24 -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
//

In order to open it to the world remove the "-s 10.0.0.0/24" argument.

As a reference here is how the iptables rules will look for a default RH installation where HTTP access has been restricted to the above network:
//
# Firewall configuration written by redhat-config-securitylevel
# Manual customization of this file is not recommended.
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:RH-Firewall-1-INPUT - [0:0]

-A INPUT -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
-A FORWARD -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type any -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 50 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 51 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -s 10.0.0.1/24 -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
COMMIT
//

HTH,
Viorel
In reply to Viorel Tabara

by Craig Hicks -
Viorel,
Thank you, this does sound like the best solution. I would also appreciate any simple directions you might be willing to share related to configuring iptables.

Craig

by Jacobus Basson -
Anthony, I'm busy setting up Moodle for our school but have been met with an error that connects to this discussion.  My students cannot access the quizzes I setup for them because the local network isn't in the IP range required for the quiz.  I cannot find the place to either disable this feature or to setup the correct IP ranges for my quizzes. Can you give me a bit of direction?
In reply to Jacobus Basson

by Anthony Borrow -
Jacobus - Update the quiz - in other words go to it and edit. There is likely a specifc IP address (perhaps under advanced options). In secure mode on quizzes you can limit the IP range. Let me know if that helps. Peace - Anthony