Constructivism and How-to Skills

Constructivism and How-to Skills

by Brett Hinton -
Number of replies: 2
How does a teacher teach how-to skills in a constructivist way? As I contemplate how to teach skills I think some direction/instructions are necessary. For example, I teach teachers how to use the tools in Moodle as well as how to use different Web 2.0 tools (like del.icio.us, wikis, Google's tools, etc).

While I let the teacher use some trial and error to explore the features, if I didn't give them some clear directions about how to get started they would likely get frustrated and stop engaging.

What are you thoughts about teaching skills/how-to use things in a constructivist way?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brett Hinton

Re: Constructivism and How-to Skills

by Reggie Ryan -
I think teaching constructivist methods can be challenging no matte what the topic matter. There are a number of basic or key considerations; motivation, base knowledge to allow constructivist usage and communication.

I try and couch a teacher's experience within a constructivist environment. I don't approach them as teaching Moodle. I approach them as giving them a chance to improve classroom instruction, to improve web 2.0 student skills, to allow an online collaborative tool for their students (or whatever).

Within that parameter I make sure they the appropriate tools to learn the base skills. I have screencasts, step-by-steps, and documents.

However I think a teacher must know why they need to know something before they are taught how to learn it. Through a constructivist exercise, teachers approach basic Moodle techniques so that they know why they need to know.

I also make sure that there are appropriate collaborative tools in place to allow communication and dialog.

Instead of introducing a wiki, introduce collaborative writing. Why is collaborative writing of value? What does a student get out of it? What does a teacher get out of it? Then, how can Moodle facilitate it?
In reply to Reggie Ryan

Re: Constructivism and How-to Skills

by Ger Tielemans -

I once was working with Smalltalk/Squeak for my Swiki (long before Moodle), asking for a how to solution. Then THE Alan Key did not aswer my question but gave me a only a small piece of new information. I felt first angry then thoughtful then tongueout, but realised after several hours how much better this small piece of information was then "the whole answer"

Read this several times and.. wink