Portfolios: SPDC Moofolio 1.8 support

Portfolios: SPDC Moofolio 1.8 support

by Matt Oquist -
Number of replies: 14
I just tested this and it's working fine as far as I can tell - consider 1.8 support "alpha" because it has the same problem as 1.7, which is that the "My Students" link lists everyone under the sun, making it completely useless.

If you try this on 1.8, please let me know how it goes.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Oquist

Re: Portfolios: SPDC Moofolio 1.8 support

by Julian Ridden -
Great news. Got it working in both 1.8 and 1.9alpha!! cool

If anyone wants to see this code in action, check out:
I will be leaving this site up as an ongoing demo for those who want to see how this works without installing it on their own installs.

Obviously you will need to create an account first to see it in action.

I have two requests:
  1. Any chance of bringing back the user portfolio link. This would be a logical place for many students to access the portfolio
  2. Will you also be patching the uploadfiles (Advanced Upload Assignment) as it is now standard in 1.8 onwards.
Thanks again

JR
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Maureen Sheehan -

Thanks so much for the chance to play with the portfolio. It's been great for me to use for practice. Do you know how to set it so students can't delete/edit their artifacts--that only teachers have that ability?

On another note, I was wondering how you displayed your logo on the top left of the page (Moodle Playpen)--it looks really great. Is there a simple way to do that? 
Thanks,
Maureen

In reply to Maureen Sheehan

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Maureen,

I need some clarification.

I heard from Rick that you were asking about students not being able to delete/edit their artificats -- and I think you mean that you want the ability to set certain benchmark points, not that students should never be able to delete/edit their own artifacts -- that wouldn't make sense! For example, you want to be able to click just a couple buttons at the end of a school year and lock all the portfolio contents simultaneously. Am I right about what you're looking for?

Hmm. Now that I think about it, this would be easy to implement... give me the nod if I have the right idea and I'll see if I can't get it in within the next week or so. (Keeping in mind that I have FOSSED next week, and that'll knock me for a loop for several days. surprise)
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Maureen Sheehan -

Hi Matt,
Yes, that's what we're looking for. We don't want a student to go back to an artifact from a previous year and edit or delete it once he/she is "older and wiser" and think they can improve what they did when they were younger.

Thanks,
Maureen

by Matt Oquist -
Hi Julian,

Thanks for providing a demo site.

Any chance of bringing back the user portfolio link. This would be a logical place for many students to access the portfolio

At this point, we have no plans to do this. As you know we tried it for a while, but upon reflection it seemed to be more natural to focus on the Portfolio Keeper block and the My Portfolio page to meet this need. I agree that it would be natural to see this as a tab in the user profile page, but doing this requires yet another patch to the system, and the installation is already daunting enough for those users unfortunate enough to have operating systems without the 'patch' utility available. (That is, Winders(TM) users.) Until there is a very compelling reason to change our minds, we've decided that the increase in project complexityisn't worth the small payoff of having a SPDC Portfolio tab in the user profile. (If you want to provide another patch for this I'll be happy to include it in the project, but I can't maintain it or install it by default. If you send the patch, you'll get full credit/blame. big grin)

Will you also be patching the uploadfiles (Advanced Upload Assignment) as it is now standard in 1.8 onwards.
Ah! I was not aware of this. I'll add it to the TODO list. If you're interested in contributing some code, this would be a great place to start. If you check out the portfolio/type/ directory contents, you'll see how to add a new portfolio item type, which really isn't very hard...feel free to give me a shout if you're interested in tackling this and you have any questions! smile

by Juan Emilio Fuentes -
Hi Julian. Your site looks great. I had make an account and try to see the portfolio in action but there is a message that the database need to be upgraded, please clic continue. When I clicked continue I got a message:
portfolio/upgrade.php: You must be an administrator to view this page.
Is this a bug? Thanking you in advance, Juan
In reply to Juan Emilio Fuentes

by Julian Ridden -
Sorry about that. I hadn't finished the install proces when I moved to the 1.9 Beta.

This has now been fixed and the demo's work again.

JR

by Art Lader -

Thanks, Julian,

Looks great. smile

Still getting message that db needs updating, though.

Regards,
Art

Attachment moofolio.gif
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Matt Oquist -
The "My students' portfolios" link is now fixed in >=1.7, so I've changed the system requirements to say that everything >=1.6 is supported. Please download the newest version (http://download.moodle.org/patches/portfolio.zip; portfolio/version.php should say 20070602) and let me know how it goes after you upgrade!
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Cal Flanders -
Hello,

Four things with the portfolio block and the file cabinet block:
1) FYI - Is working fine after a flawless install on WAMP with Moodle 1.8.2+ and I am enjoying working with it!
2) Can the File cabinet block be considered a direct replacement/upgrade of the older MyFiles block?
3) Why is there a file cabinet block and a serparate portfolio block? What is the reason for the 2 spaces?
4) After setiing the moodle-wide permission for a teacher user to publish file cabinets, I am getting error when the user tries to publish or share:
You do not have access to change access for this item.
index.php (repository): Error changing access.

Portfolio publishing works fine.
Please let me know if you can assist with this error.

Thanks,
Cal.
In reply to Matt Oquist

by Khawer Ishtiaq -
Hi

I'm probably being a bit of an idiot....but can anyone tell we where i can download this portfolio module, the one in the module database seems it isn't ready for moodle 1.8

my apologies for a stupid question
In reply to Khawer Ishtiaq

by Aaron Saxton -
The latest version provided works fine in 1.8.

Have you copied all of the individual files from the folder into your Moodle directory (usually named 'moodle')? You will be prompted if you want to overwrite files. Recommend you make a backup of your Moodle folder to be on the safe side.

You then need to run http://localhost/portfolio to install it and then run notifications in the admin menu to setup the tables.

Hope this is helpful.

In reply to Aaron Saxton

by Paulo Correia -

Hi Aron...

E did both of them (run http://localhost/portfolio to install it and then run notifications in the admin menu) and both of them retuned a complet white page with done on left bottom corner... is that normal?

And i can't see no portfolio...