Retake a quiz after failure

Retake a quiz after failure

by Mike Allen -
Number of replies: 15

We are using a quiz as a formal exam. As such I have set the attempts to allow only one. If a student fails to achieve the required grade (75%) I would like the teacher to allow the student to retake, but the first attempt scores must be kept.

I could set multiple attempts, with say 24 hrs before retaking. The trouble with this is that a student could retake the quiz without approval, and more important a student who passed, but not well, could have a second go in order to try and improve their result.

What I am looking for is a way of locking out a student who has passed, but allowing a failure to retake, after a set interval, or with the teachers authorisation.

A perfect solution would be to set for one attempt only, but allow the teacher over ride the lock to permit a second/third+ attempt.

Is this possible? Or has anybody got any good ideas on how to do this? I am using version 1.6.4+.

Many thanks,

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Allen

Re: Retake a quiz after failure

by Werner G. Vavken -
Good question. I'd like to see an answer to this myself!
In reply to Werner G. Vavken

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Not currently possible. And I don't know of any plans to implement this. It would be a bit of work, because the rules for which attempts are allowed are the same for all students, and there is no convenient place in the database to store per-student exceptions, so you would have to start be creating such a place.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by John Brady -

Kind of weak, but here is a thought:

After the quiz is closed. The teacher could set up an enrolment key. The teacher could then arrange a preset time with the student to retake the quiz and open and close the quiz manually for another attempt.

Perhaps with a warning that there is a grading curve, and giving the enrolment key and quiz time window to other students might impact the students own grade.

In reply to John Brady

by venkat sadineni -

Does this feature available in 1.9 release?

If not available can any one show a way to achieve this goal?

This feature is very important for our Organization,

Thanks in advance,

Venkat Sadineni

In reply to venkat sadineni

by Jit San Chia -
Have you tried the "lesson" module?
In reply to Jit San Chia

by venkat sadineni -

No, I never used the Lesson module, beacause in my Organization all the content is available in the form of documents and Video Files (not like teacher providing a small content and a question on that content), So that I did not go through the 'Lesson' module,

I need this feature in Quiz module only,

Any ideas,

Thanks

Venkat Sadineni

In reply to venkat sadineni

by Jit San Chia -
I mean to use the "lesson" module for your quiz. If I remember correctly, it does have the capability to force students to repeat the quiz again and again until he/she passes.
In reply to Jit San Chia

by venkat sadineni -

Sorry Chia,

I did not understand your point,

Do u mean there is an option of embedding the Quiz into the Lesson module, So that lesson module will force the user to take the quiz untill he/she pass.

In 'lesson module' we have less features in creating questions when compared to QUIZ module

Please help on this,

Regards,

Venkat

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
However in the real teacher life, this can be an useful feature.
Perhaps we could add it to 2.0 plan.

Pierre

P.S. The quiz is opened either to all students of a course or to a list of students. I have used it on another system. This can be managed with an interface similar to roles managing.
In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can already use the roles system to make the quiz available to a specific list of students. You would just need to use roles overrides and a new role. Details left as an exercise for the reader.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Pierre Pichet -
Ok to add a new role for quiz with a special students list.
Is there a way to control by role the access at a specific quiz?

Pierre

P.S. In the other system the specific quiz was opened (or closed) for all students (default) or with a list. This setting was done on the the quiz editing interface.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Siddharth Patel -

HI..

Is there any solution for moodle 2.2+ for this feature?

Regards...

In reply to Siddharth Patel

by Peter Kupfer -

I think you have a few options.

Activites can now have a grade condition set before access. So, you could set up a 2nd quiz (a copy of the first) that is conditional set to allow students to take it if their first quiz falls in a certain range.

The wording is "The grade on originalk quiz must be at least  % and less than   ____ %." So, if I kid falls in between 50% and 75% the activity is open to them.

You could also (or in addition to) set a password on the quiz that the student would have to get from the teacher. This would be the same password for all students so, you would have to hope they wouldn't share it.

This wouldn't be exactly what the OP wanted, but it is a work around without too much work.

PK

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
In reply to Peter Kupfer

by Siddharth Patel -

Thanks for quick reply Peter..

I liked the solution and looks like it can be applied nicely.

But a limitetion I am facing here also that, even if the student is failed, he can see the review of the question and got all the answers of the questions which he is going to face in the quiz. Is there any method by which I can prevent the failing students to see the review?

Thanks and Regards..
- Sid

In reply to Siddharth Patel

by Peter Kupfer -
I can think of two things that might work. You could set the quiz to not show the answers until after it closes and/or you could post the answers as a PDF with a condition based on the quiz grade. Neither are perfect but may work. Hope that helps, PK