mimeTeX's rendering not working

mimeTeX's rendering not working

by Kendall Eley -
Number of replies: 8

I am new to moodle, and I recently installed it on a site to begin creating some courses.  I have not had any success in getting the mimeTeX's rendering to work.  I tried the test page http://www.teachclassesonline.com/filter/tex/texed.php and it does not work, which leads me to believe that something is not installed properly.  I have reset the LaTeX rendering settings and do not get any better results.

Any suggestions? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kendall Eley

Re: mimeTeX's rendering not working

by Christian Bokhove -
Is the path to Latex correct?
In reply to Christian Bokhove

by Kendall Eley -

I do not know.  The path to Latex BInary is /usr/bin/latex (the default).  How could I check to verify this?  I host on hostgator.com

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

In reply to Kendall Eley

by Leonardo Lazarte -
You need to know which is your host's operating system (Windows? Linux? It seems that your provider works with CENTOS, which is a Linux distribution). Then, you need to know if it has LaTeX installed.

IF it was Linux, AND you have access to a shell on the host, then you can issue the command "which latex" and see if LaTeX is installed and where.

Anyway, even if there was no LaTeX at all, the filter should work, by using "mimetex.exe" or "mimetex.linux", automatically (both are included in the default Moodle distribution, in .../moode/filter/tex/).

I have read in this forum that in some Windows installations you should check if mimetex.exe is not corrupted and if it is executable (I do not use Windows).

You could try as well this: http://<your_moodle_installation>/filtex/tex/texdebug.php
I did it, on your site, and the result is:
sh: /home/centralg/public_html/teachclassesonline/filter/tex/mimetex.linux: Permission denied
The shell command
"/home/centralg/public_html/teachclassesonline/filter/tex/mimetex.linux" -e "/home/centralg/public_html/teachclassesonline/uploaddata/filter/tex/74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif" '\Large f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt' returned status = 126
File size of mimetex executable /home/centralg/public_html/teachclassesonline/filter/tex/mimetex.linux is 491043
The file permissions are: 100644
The md5 checksum of the file is c294ab11905323bb5cb0f451241bedc1
Image not found!
That means that you should change the permissions on "mimetex.linux" so that is is executable.

Good luck!
Leonardo
In reply to Leonardo Lazarte

by Kendall Eley -
Thanks.  That fixed it.  I knew that it was most likely a permission issue, I just did not know enough about moodle to try nad fix the problem.

by Steve Hill -

Hi Leonardo,

I have the same sort of problem as Kendall had. I have the Tex filter enabled but when i do the tex debug from this link http://moodle.kingsbridgecollege.co.uk/filter/tex/texdebug.php i get /homepages/13/d163484484/htdocs/kingsbridgecollegemoodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /homepages/13/d163484484/htdocs/kingsbridgecollegemoodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux)
The shell command
"/homepages/13/d163484484/htdocs/kingsbridgecollegemoodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux" -e "/homepages/13/d163484484/htdocs/kingsbridgecollegemoodledata/filter/tex/74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif" '\Large f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt'
returned status = 1
File size of mimetex executable /homepages/13/d163484484/htdocs/kingsbridgecollegemoodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux is 491043
The file permissions are: 100777
The md5 checksum of the file is c294ab11905323bb5cb0f451241bedc1
Image not found!

Can you help?

Cheers,
Steve

In reply to Steve Hill

by Genner Cerna -
LaTeX Font Warning: Command \large invalid in math mode on input line 8.

how to solve?

by eliana neves -

I too need help...

I´ve recently set up a new platform with Moodle 1.6.5+

I get this:

The shell command
\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe ++ -e \moodledata/filter/tex/74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif" "\Large f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt"
returned status = -1
File size of mimetex executable \SubDomains\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe is 433152
The file permissions are: 100777
The md5 checksum of the file is 84f9f8c2eb29a52d01b17852cfa58fb6
Image not found!PHP Warning: system() [function.system]: Unable to fork \SubDomains\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe ++ -e \SubDomains\moodledata/filter/tex/74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif" "\Large f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt"] in \SubDomains\moodle\filter\tex\texdebug.php on line 140 PHP Warning: shell_exec() [function.shell-exec]: Unable to execute \SubDomains\moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.exe ++ -e \SubDomains\moodledata/filter/tex/74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif" "\Large f(x)=\Bigint_{-\infty}^x~e^{-t^2}dt" 2>&1' in \SubDomains\moodle\filter\tex\texdebug.php on line 157

Could you please help?

Don´t know what to do...

In reply to eliana neves

by Genner Cerna -
This is dvips(k) 5.96.1 Copyright 2007 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
/usr/bin/dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
fmtutil: format directory `/.texlive2007/texmf-var/web2c' does not exist.
sh: /var/www/html/moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory
This is dvips(k) 5.96.1 Copyright 2007 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
/usr/bin/dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
sh: /var/www/html/moodle/filter/tex/mimetex.linux: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory

hmmmmmm?????