Which beer goes best in a Moodle mug?

Which beer goes best in a Moodle mug?

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 19
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Which kind of beer goes best in a Moodle mug? At a recent All-Hokkaido Moodle Developers Conference, we tested various beers in our Moodle mugs and came to the unanimous decision that Sapporo Classic Beer is indeed the most fitting and finest brew for our community. Here see Norihito Kawana, Bob Gettings, and Narumi Sekiya at a Sapporo pub, ready to begin a moodling session (timeoutsetting=threehours).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: Which beer goes best in a Moodle mug?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Don, that image refers to a file on your machine, so it only works for you! smile

Please post it again as an attachement because I'd love to see it. Timeout setting, heh. wink

Personally I've only ever used my large mug for hot drinks (several of those a day), but if I were to use it for beer it would be a thick dark stout like Guinness (yum).

by Don Hinkelman -
Oops, sorry. I dragged the photo into the HTML editor--too easy!
Attachment MoodleMug2.jpg

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
big grin   Priceless!  big grin
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Steven Day -
For everything else, there's Mastercard.

Don, will you be testing out the Japanese microbrews this summer at the festival held in Odoori koen?

Cheers.

In reply to Steven Day

by Don Hinkelman -
Yes, I love the Odori Beer Festival. But more fun will be the MoodleMoot_04 Tokyo in Mito, June 4-6. Be there! (with your moodle mug) big grin

by Drew Buddie -
Will  'Moodlewear ' etc. be avaiable at the UK MoodleMot?  Sean?
In reply to Drew Buddie

by Martin Dougiamas -
I've sent some boxes of stuff for presenters and prizewinners, but don't get me started on what I think of UK Customs - they slugged us with import taxes equivalent to the full value of the Moodlegear!  So I don't think there will be any more bulk imports happening in the near future.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Drew Buddie -
I had this when I ordered stuff from Cafe Press before - for the excellent Rock Paper Scissors society and Deep Fun Blogs. I ordered in 4 separate lots and because each order was over $19.99 (a CRITICAL threshold according to customs) I too got hit for c.£14 PER ITEM!!!! Whereas a SINGLE order of c.$80 wouldn't have come anywhere near that! Still it is extortionate, you will not hear me argue against you on that point. And that Martin, is the reason why I have not bought MOODLE merchandise from you yet sad
In reply to Drew Buddie

by Sean Keogh -
Arghhh!!!!

Not a chance.  As Martin says elsewhere in this thread, we got hit for £112 in import duty and VAT on the goodies he sent. 

I'd suggest that if you want any moodlewear, order it yourself.  I did this with a t-shirt, a sweatshirt and a couple of drinks coasters, and didn't get hit by VAT...but then they arrived in two boxes.

According to the Customs and Excise website, these increased duty tariffs are "retaliatory duties"...something to do with some dodgy dealing by US companies and the US government, in contravention of WTO rules, and will continue: "Until such time that the US satisfy the EU that they will abide by the WTO ruling. Once this occurs the Regulation will either be repealed or amended."

and also "
The range of goods has been specifically targeted to have a fiscal impact upon the USA traders."

Strange...it looks like it had an impact on us, the customers...

What they are doing is adding additional import duty (which varies by item type) on top of the already high normal import duty.

If you mark an item as a "Gift" it is free of duty only up to the value of 45 Euros...if it is more than that then they hit you.  If it is not a gift, then you get hit by duty on anything over 22 Euros.

In reply to Sean Keogh

by Bryan Williams -

According to the Customs and Excise website, these increased duty tariffs are "retaliatory duties"...something to do with some dodgy dealing by US companies and the US government, in contravention of WTO rules....

You mean we can't have it both ways?dead  This is shocking news as we customarily reward these types of actions here in the US by either promoting the individual (if in industry) for his/her cleverness in screwing everyone, or electing them to high office (if political). 

In all seriousness, I for one can only hope the rest of the world is patient with the US during these dark hours as we struggle through the process of living under rulership that was not elected by the people, but appointed by the high courts. We indeed hope to rectify this coup d'état this fall.  The irony here is that this same party that pushed so hard for globalization rules over the past 25 years, now being in charge, is thumbing its nose at the rules it helped establish. We used to call such folks hypocritical bastards, but it's not politically correct to use such terms these days, so I won't. wink 

In reply to Bryan Williams

by Don Hinkelman -
So, Sean and Bryan, which beer goes best in a Moodle mug?    smile

by Steven Day -
Not Busch or Busch Lite, that's for sure.

by Bryan Williams -

I have started to favor local stuff in the past few years, what they call brewpubs. A brewpub differs from a microbrewery in that they only offer the stuff within the restaurant itself.  I'm expecting UPS to show up today with new moodlemugs, and will test out a certain brewpub in Richmond Virginia called Extra Billy's Steak & B-B-Q, this weekend.  I shall duly report my findings.

I would have to say that a trip several years ago through central and southern Germany, tasting every local beer I could find, was the closest thing I can imagine to being in heaven. Pity I had no Moodle mug!  There is this park in downtown Munich, across from the German Museum, that serves this most excellent beer in these huge frosty steins. Wish I could remember the name of this beer, as I am sure it would be a contender for "Which beer goes best in a Moodle mug." 

beer
With beer drinking "cohorts" in Zurich. Me on left.

by Sean Keogh -
For my part, I'd have to say *Not Beer*.  I'm more of a cider man myself.

Oxford Beardie

by rick shepherd -
I want to get a Moodle mug to drink San Miguel from, here in Madrid. How, pray, does one do this (not the drinking, the mug)?

Rick