Where is the Wicki in CVS

Where is the Wicki in CVS

by W Page -
Number of replies: 15
Hello!

Wasn't the Wiki in the v1.3 CVS.  I just uploaded and installed a fresh v1.3 script with fresh database and did not see it in the Course Activities dropdown.

What happened??

WP1

Average of ratings: -
In reply to W Page

Re: Where is the Wicki in CVS

by Timothy Takemoto -
I installed a freshish (two days or so) 1.3 but no wiki. My guess is that the memory limit means that from here on those with powerful servers are going to have to add the modules of their choice.
In reply to W Page

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I don't believe it was intended to be part of 1.3, no.

For now, it will remain as a module add-on, that you can get from here or from contrib CVS (preferred).

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Ger Tielemans -
Strange, because if one modul would be REAL SOCIAL CONSTR. then is it this modul. Is Martin loosing his faith?
It is not fresh code, it is just a very good adapted existing piece of code.  (I think as user knipoog )
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It will be in Moodle I'm sure, but last time I looked at Wiki it looked a little too fresh. While it's not standard Mike has more freedom to muck with it.  

You can always get it from here, you know.

http://moodle.org/download/modules/
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by W Page -
Hi All!

Thanks for the responses.

Is there a way after unzipping and installing the  Wiki mod from the "Activity Modules" page to update the code from CVS by using SSH?

If this is possible, what command should be used and should it be used while insde of the Wiki mod directory, the mod directory or the moodle directory.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Michael Schneider -
No, I do not think that there is an easy way of going from the Module download to CVS, because the "CVS" control-data is missing. You need to check it out and work from there.

by Michael Schneider -
Hey Martin, I am coding on it too *wave* *grin* smile

I support the idea of not to hurrying too much in including the Wiki into main moodle. The people here in the forum are very helpful in improving the Wiki and so we can have a "polished" product at the end which is really ready for production release. We can do some experiments (grading, ...) without disturbing the people which use the system in daly business.
In reply to Michael Schneider

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
My deepest apologies, Michael, I should have said "the two Mikes". smile

Actually, there is two good tricks one can do to make things more seamless ...

Check out the "moodle" tree, and also check out the "contrib" tree, then

1. Copy the wiki folder (with CVS stuff) into the moodle tree. You can then still do a cvs update just on that 'wiki' folder and it will work (it does for me under Linux, anyway), or
  2. On Unix systems, make a symbolic link to the contrib wiki folder from "mod", so that it appears to be in the right place.

cd moodle/mod
ln -s ../../contrib/wiki wiki

While I'm here, can I make a request about the Wiki module?   The blocks down the left side confused me when I tried it ... could they be replaced with popup menus along the top?  It would make things more consistent with other parts of Moodle.

by Michael Schneider -
Yes, I can change the Navigation.
Do you mean like the one when looking at a topic in the forum ?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Yes, that'd be perfect - thanks!

There's actually quite a few little things like that that need to be made more consistent in several of the modules, including my own!  It will happen.

by W Page -
Hello all!

I am not sure about what you guys are talking about but if it makes it easier to DL and then update come of the "cutting edge" mods in development, that would be great.

So Michael will you be adding some CVS stuff to the ZIP files on the Activity Modules page so CVS vis SSH can be used to update changes in the developmental Wiki files? smile

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Martin Dougiamas -
Actually, I'm the one who makes those zips and CVS stuff is stripped from them.  The reason is that different people need different CVS info (depending on access).  Just check out contrib yourself.

by Michael Schneider -
As soon as the sourceforge-ssh-cvs-access is back up, the new drop-down navigation as proposed by Martin will be checked in.
I would be more than happy, if the people on this forum could comment on it and tell me if I shall change something or if someone with more aesthetic talent than me could propose changes in the look smile...

Have a good start into the new week...

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Actually, Michael's done more of the 'tough' work on this module, and deserves more credit. He's got his hands very dirty in the depths of the erfurtwiki code.

mike